Rumor: Madonna Left Interscope?

Shoful

Why do people assume that just because she returns to Warner’s all of sudden she’s going to have huge success all over again ? She’s 62 now not 32 ? The record company and promotion is irrelevant at this point in her career . It’s really critical who she collaborates with now from a songwriting and production perspective. A lot of fans thought that bringing Mirwais back to the fold was going to rejuvenate her career but let’s face it it was met with meh results . I don’t blame Interscope for her poor sales - I blame M not for not churning out decent songs 

Look, to be honest, and this is not at all meant to be negative, but it won't matter who she signs with. Music these days, and charts are very much a youth driven cycle. Madonna has been doing great on the Adult Contemporary charts, Crave was a big hit.

But unless youth suddenly connect with what she has to say, it's doubtful she'll crack a hit.

Kylie changed music labels multiple times - even signing with Jay Z - which didn't help. 

Look at Cher - she's been with Warner all this time - hasn't had a 'youth driven' hit in decades - but has done well on AC.

I guess my point is, let's not be under the illusion that Inter Scope did a bad job - it's just how the charts are geared these days that means people like Drake who have a massive young fan base can amass more Top 10 hits than Madonna has in her entire career in under 2 years!

26 minutes ago, Jackie said:

Look, to be honest, and this is not at all meant to be negative, but it won't matter who she signs with. Music these days, and charts are very much a youth driven cycle. Madonna has been doing great on the Adult Contemporary charts, Crave was a big hit.

But unless youth suddenly connect with what she has to say, it's doubtful she'll crack a hit.

Kylie changed music labels multiple times - even signing with Jay Z - which didn't help. 

Look at Cher - she's been with Warner all this time - hasn't had a 'youth driven' hit in decades - but has done well on AC.

I guess my point is, let's not be under the illusion that Inter Scope did a bad job - it's just how the charts are geared these days that means people like Drake who have a massive young fan base can amass more Top 10 hits than Madonna has in her entire career in under 2 years!

What "job" did Interscope do though?

1 minute ago, Jet said:

They did a bad job when it came to promotion. Single covers. Single choices. Physical releases. Booking live performances. All of it really. It felt like she was out on her own a lot of the time. That’s just my opinion tho ??‍♂️

Also the last decade has seen almost no good remixes which the record company should be supporting  - crap remix after crap remix for the last 3 albums with only the odd one here and there any good. Used to be more quality control on that front too  - it's important if she wants her new music to get any airtime in clubs and support from DJs

For me it's not about future new album chart success or sales, it's about honouring an incredible legacy and catalog with properly scheduled anniversary releases. 

Not like Alanis and her 10th anniversary, 15th, 20th, .. but Madonna is approaching (and has already missed) some important milestones. 25th and 30th anniversary milestones are sailing by --- THAT Is what I hope a return to WB guarantees -- a proper release schedule for anniversary and special edition fan-geared releases.

31 minutes ago, MDNA22 said:

Also the last decade has seen almost no good remixes which the record company should be supporting  - crap remix after crap remix for the last 3 albums with only the odd one here and there any good. Used to be more quality control on that front too  - it's important if she wants her new music to get any airtime in clubs and support from DJs

Yea except Madonna approves all remixes that are released.........................................Orlando confirmed that Madonna personally approves all remixes.

36 minutes ago, Jet said:

They did a bad job when it came to promotion. Single covers. Single choices. Physical releases. Booking live performances. All of it really. It felt like she was out on her own a lot of the time. That’s just my opinion tho ??‍♂️

Not true - she promoted the fuck out of Rebel Heart - she even did a week long residency at Ellen lol. She chose Living for Cock as the first single - but who fucked that release for her - the fans - the fans that leaked the album.

But, let's not also forget that Warner haven't been all that either - who here remembers the debacle with Nothing Really Matters? Warner released it to radio - it peaked on radio - but the single wasn't released in time to match radio and it charted so bad - like 99 - it was her lowest chart entry ever at that time. Warner basically stuffed the release.

Anyway....as I said, don't want it to be negative - but let's not get our hopes up that a new deal with Warner will achieve anything other than more $$$ for M - which is great - and for us, it means guaranteed (well almost) more new music! :)

1 hour ago, Jackie said:

Yeah cause Cher and Kylie Minogue had hit after hit as Madonna had when they were young, to get hits now that are older too... Interscope always promotes artists on streamin services, they don't do it with Madonna, that's why she don't succeed.

3 minutes ago, Régine Filange said:

Yeah cause Cher and Kylie Minogue had hit after hit as Madonna had when they were young, to get hits now that are older too... Interscope always promotes artists on streamin services, they don't do it with Madonna, that's why she don't succeed.

Cher not so, but Kylie certainly did - Kylie was huge in the UK and Australia - but, last couple of albums and singles hasn't been doing that good either :/

On 8/7/2020 at 8:23 AM, Enrico said:

I just saw this interview with Daddy Kane about SEX book. The interviewer comments "As younger generations are not familiar with Madonna, let's say that back then she was as famous as Rihanna today". Is this a joke? They have no idea!!

I think the change of label might have affected the attention to her legacy.

"Some of your fans think your voice is f*cked but if you could JUST hobble one more 'regular' style tour. We will do the expanded editions. Think of the The Money !"

'WB'

"as famous as Rihanna"

Who is he...again ?

48 minutes ago, Jackie said:

Cher not so, but Kylie certainly did - Kylie was huge in the UK and Australia - but, last couple of albums and singles hasn't been doing that good either :/

Kylie is a lot younger than Madonna

Only 4 women in music history over the age of 50 had a top 10 single on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, Tina Turner, Barbra Streisand, Cher and Madonna

I have no high hopes in terms of commercial success if she returns to Warner, I do have high hopes in terms of better songs/production and legacy protection. Warner would‘ve never approved some of the unpolished recordings she’s had with Interscope, which probably was a yes-ma’am of a company to Madonna.

1 hour ago, Mp1992 said:

Kylie is a lot younger than Madonna

Only 4 women in music history over the age of 50 had a top 10 single on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, Tina Turner, Barbra Streisand, Cher and Madonna

True - she is 52 now - Kylie was never big in America - she did have some success with 'Fever'. 

5 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

Why do people assume that just because she returns to Warner’s all of sudden she’s going to have huge success all over again ? She’s 62 now not 32 ? The record company and promotion is irrelevant at this point in her career . It’s really critical who she collaborates with now from a songwriting and production perspective. A lot of fans thought that bringing Mirwais back to the fold was going to rejuvenate her career but let’s face it it was met with meh results . I don’t blame Interscope for her poor sales - I blame M not for not churning out decent songs 

It can't be any worse than how Intersope handled her. It's obvious she won't have another hit (probably not even top 40) but I'm sure their main focus is on her complete discography which I'm sure would sell very well and get lots of streams. 

4 hours ago, deathproof said:

All we need is Liz Rosenberg to come back, then we will have all 4 elements

And if we could get Freddy DeMann out of retirement to replace Guy O$eary once and for all, we would be golden! 

Let's throw Donna and Nikki in the mix too. 

Nobody said that Madonna will get a huge success at Warner like in the 90's.

We all know it's wrong. But I think fans are happy, because if it's true, then it means she finally has a record company (her deal at Interscope was over), and fans will probably get re-releases from the past. So it makes at least 2 good reasons to be happy. And if we're lucky enough if she releases a new album, it can't be worse than if it was released by Interscope.

And regarding Madame X, I still don't get how some fans can pretend it's one of her best albums with shits like Faz Gostoso, Bitch I'm Loca  ???????????????????? Hello, we're talking about Madonna here. Not Nicki Minaj or so.

Madame X wasn't promoted at all. No ads. No tv. No newspapers. No one knew there was a new M album out. Chaos with singles, videos and remixes not at the same time. Let's face it, it got to no 1 in the US because of the ticket bundle strategy, but it felt miserably, with surprisingly poor sales. It failed in Italy, Uk and France, where she has a huge following. A number 1 single is by now impossible, but we all hope there will be more albums in the future that need a certain promotion. With Warner we can have a strategy that links legacy + new material.

32 minutes ago, Enrico said:

Madame X wasn't promoted at all. No ads. No tv. No newspapers. No one knew there was a new M album out. Chaos with singles, videos and remixes not at the same time. Let's face it, it got to no 1 in the US because of the ticket bundle strategy, but it felt miserably, with surprisingly poor sales. It failed in Italy, Uk and France, where she has a huge following. A number 1 single is by now impossible, but we all hope there will be more albums in the future that need a certain promotion. With Warner we can have a strategy that links legacy + new material.

It was all over London tube during the release week.

madameX.JPG

• Fighter locked and unfeatured this topic