Rumor: Madonna Left Interscope?

Shoful

Guest Nobody Knows Me

Also, another big issue with UK promotion is that she really was not in people’s good books at that time. Eurovision and her appearance on the Graham Norton show left a lot of bad press.

I agree with what was stated above, you cannot blame the interscope for everything if Madonna herself is not interested in giving a decent promo.
Eurovision, which was supposed to be the opening act before the album turned out to be a huge disaster, everyone who was possibly interested in the album just turned away.
The graham show just reinforced that bad attitude.
There were no performances in the week of release! what was the point of Fallon's appearance, interviews don't sell albums
... And again, both in Euro and in Fallon, for some reason she presented the "Future" song as the main theme of the album, while everywhere it was said that this was a Portuguese album, what was the point of such a step.

Why then was there a need for a lead single with Maluma, their billboard performance was great and received a lot of great reviews from the public and press.

I do agree Eurovision and Graham Norton interview turned off the chance of general public interest in the UK in Madame X. The better remixes Tracy Young I Rise and Crave and Honey Dijon IDSIF came out way too late   - maybe if they had been released up front at the album launch could have been helped?

5 hours ago, Enrico said:

Madame X wasn't promoted at all. No ads. No tv. No newspapers. No one knew there was a new M album out. Chaos with singles, videos and remixes not at the same time. Let's face it, it got to no 1 in the US because of the ticket bundle strategy, but it felt miserably, with surprisingly poor sales. It failed in Italy, Uk and France, where she has a huge following. A number 1 single is by now impossible, but we all hope there will be more albums in the future that need a certain promotion. With Warner we can have a strategy that links legacy + new material.

There was actually a healthy dose of promo here in the UK. We had the tube ads, the billboard posters with the big red 'X' over the album pictures plastered all over the place, the big illuminated 'Mx' thing that MTV installed in London (I think it was also in NY), the Graham Norton interview, as well as the Graham Norton after show interview, and also Eurovision. Yet, despite this, and releasing the album on multiple formats and special releases, the album still died a death instantly. It was handled sooooooo badly.

16 hours ago, likeaprayer76 said:

And if we look carefully, the Warner new deal (if it happens) is the best (and maybe only) solution.

Considering the "bad" sales from the 3 Interscope albums, considering she's 62 and that her last tour has been a disaster in terms of image, Warner is the best solution. She can work on her strong back catalog, maybe providing some interesting releases (just take a look to what they did with Prince catalog : https://store.prince.com/store/?utm_source=EstateHub&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=Link-from-hub ) ,and if she wants, she can of course release new stuff.

On the opposite, if she deals with Interscope or Sony, then she would have to release only new stuff, in a weak way.

A new album with Warner means that Warner can provide a bigger support. They can release a new album is a re-release for example. Remember for example when in 2001 they re-released the 3 first albums during the tour. 

we might get 'Ghv3 haha

Yes, I think MX was prompted very well especially in US/UK... the after show in London was huge... but she’s very basic... full of ego & lame... I’m not sure why she missed up her Norton’s appearance... her outfit... the way she acted with the other guests is was embarrassing tbh... yet they were still interested in her till the last minute... M is lucky to have people still interested in her, calling her queen, legend... she’s a legend for sure but lately she’s not taking herself seriously/wisely/politely... ?

The fact they did 5 videos for the album is something BIG... 3 different album editions... tbh Interscope gave her a lot... MDNA was huge... RH was not bad with the leaks that happened because of her lame team. ? I’m not concerned about charts & sells anyone especially with M’s case... people in general are not interested in her anymore... even with new record deal.

one thing will work well is to release something about her legacy like a book/greatest hits album with unreleased stuff. 

We actually had 6 videos if you include I rise, but 2 without her. The videos were not promoted at the same time as the remixes, and we ended up not having God Control remixes although it was the most dance oriented song. She performed Future without the song having a video/remixes/single treatment. This shows how the album was lacking single-worthy material: globally it can be judged a good and interesting allbum, but there is not a hit.

4 minutes ago, Enrico said:

This shows how the album was lacking single-worthy material: globally it can be judged a good and interesting allbum, but there is not a hit.

Crazy? Medellin? Faz Gostoso? Crave should've been a massive hit and it would've been if it was released by anyone half her age. I mean, it's not even about having songs that are hit potential. She hit #1 with "Justify My Love", hardly a radio friendly song, "Hanky Panky" was a top 10 hit for crying out loud - if the artist is riding high and their profile is huge that often carries the song. I don't even think the singles/hits are that relevant these days. Beyoncé has barely troubled the Top 10 in the past decade or so yet her profile and her cultural capital have never been higher. Drake has taken over Elvis and Madonna with the amount of Billboard Top 10s he's had. Nothing against Drake but even he must realise it's a joke. :)

19 minutes ago, Enrico said:

We actually had 6 videos if you include I rise, but 2 without her. The videos were not promoted at the same time as the remixes, and we ended up not having God Control remixes although it was the most dance oriented song. She performed Future without the song having a video/remixes/single treatment. This shows how the album was lacking single-worthy material: globally it can be judged a good and interesting allbum, but there is not a hit.

Crave? Medellín? ? tbh Faz Gostoso was so good as a single...

I honestly don't see how there was a lack or even a mismanagement of promo from Interscope's site: ESC performance, World Pride performance, BBMA performance, MTV mv debut + interview, talk shows, numerous high profile press articles,  world tour, high budget music videos... perfect marketing channels for her core audience. Don't act like Spotify/AM banners would've made this era a huge success.

Her record didn't click with the audience and she's the one to blame (from disastrous ESC performance, to her injury and tardiness on tour, as well as that laughable feud with NYT over being "raped"). As much as I love her and the album, I can see how some perceive the MX character as too gimmicky and out of touch with this world. 

Edited by Gâteau (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Gâteau said:

I honestly don't see how there was a lack or even a mismanagement of promo from Interscope's site: ESC performance, World Pride performance, BBMA performance, MTV mv debut + interview, talk shows, numerous high profile press articles,  world tour, high budget music videos... perfect marketing channels for her core audience. Don't act like Spotify/AM banners would've made this era a huge success.

Her record didn't click with the audience and she's the one to blame (from disastrous ESC performance, to her injury and tardiness on tour, as well as that laughable feud with NYT over being "raped"). As much as I love her and the album, I can see how some perceive the MX character as too gimmicky and out of touch with this world. 

Exactly. People blaming Interscope for everything are missing the point. Madonna is still the main reason people don't check for her anymore. 

It's her offstage persona in this social media world that caused this. 

Also...whatever she did at Eurovision is still not forgotten here in Europe. It's amazing what she managed to do for this entire continent. Also her Graham Norton appearance was...well...that.

That said...i believe she used to have more people around her advising her on what to do and not to do. We wouldn't get this Madame X persona back with Warner Bros. I also think and feel like Madonna was by herself most of this last era. Specially by the time the tour was ending.

The woman was performing a theater tour, with a bad knee. A tour that had an awful lottery program. That had its first dates in every single place delayed or canceled. Everything was a mess from the start. It all ended with Madonna barely moving in Paris without a leg and with covid 19, with her fans praying before each show that she would show up. How much worse could it get?

I believe a lot of this could've been avoided if she had a decent team with her. When the biggest female touring act of all time can't even plan a tour right, you know you failed.

Some of these mistakes wouldn't happen with Warner Bros...but let's not pretend the biggest damage that is being done isn't by Madonna herself. 

18 minutes ago, Tiago Lisboa Rodrigues said:

The woman was performing a theater tour, with a bad knee. A tour that had an awful lottery program. That had its first dates in every single place delayed or canceled. Everything was a mess from the start. It all ended with Madonna barely moving in Paris without a leg and with covid 19, with her fans praying before each show that she would show up. How much worse could it get?

This is particularly why I can’t wait for a beautiful presentation of the show/tour on home release.

Let’s blow away all those cobwebs and marvel in the wonderful aspects of the MX show ? 

58 minutes ago, Kieran said:

This is particularly why I can’t wait for a beautiful presentation of the show/tour on home release.

Let’s blow away all those cobwebs and marvel in the wonderful aspects of the MX show ? 

The show I saw was beautiful and the time flew by as it each segments fed into another. Yes she was late... but I already knew that walking in. Wasn’t the first time a big artist was late. Florence and the Machine was late to the show I went to a couple years ago and we were all fine. 

2 hours ago, Tiago Lisboa Rodrigues said:

That said...i believe she used to have more people around her advising her on what to do and not to do. We wouldn't get this Madame X persona back with Warner Bros. I also think and feel like Madonna was by herself most of this last era. Specially by the time the tour was ending.

Exactly, and if she was still at Warner we still would have had those people. Don’t forget Warner has control of the recording process, choosing what songs made the album and not, and what would be singles...

The poor promo for the last three records and her rather grumpy demeanour may largely be due to the adjustment period she had to leaving Warners, (as well as her husband). When you are somewhere for so long you tend to focus on the bad and the things that niggle you. These things may have become bigger in her head than they were. Im sure she took a lot of the things a record company like Warner, (who had had decades to build up supply, distribution, promo and relationships with other key industries for promotion), for granted. 

Maybe it's only when she stepped away that realised there was a lot more at stake than video budgets and single choices.

She's seemed miserable at Interscope and the evolving industry and the numbers and promo show that. We know she was sorta of pushed into writing camps which she hated, and has gone back to working one on one. Maybe Guy convinced her social media as a form of promo, was the way to go and she was actually very reluctant at first. Madonna may actually hate social media. It's something I never thought she would do. She is single handedly doing most of her own promo now and prior to this Warner did everything because it's a different age. 

Social media can fuck with most of our mental well being and happiness so we come off it for a while. Imagine being Madonna and having that level of immediate scrutiny. 

When 1000 news publications around the world are writting about her that's one thing. When millions and millions of followers are in her inbox daily that's another.

I'm convinced these two things have changed her....probably more than her inner circle who may just love her and wish to protect her. They may be less honest with her because they realise she has daily criticism from the whole world. 

We have to think about the metrics of her life and how in many ways, the media giants of old were in many ways at arms length. Now every beggar is the paparazzi with cameras and opinions. 

It's a lot.

Guest Nobody Knows Me
27 minutes ago, WopaelWopael said:

Does warner Have the rights Now to use the songs that were released under interscope for a Best Of album/tour?

I’m not sure, but I doubt they’d ever need them :lol:

• Fighter locked and unfeatured this topic