Rumor: Madonna Left Interscope?

Shoful

19 hours ago, Kristian_Kasell said:

As I would like Madonna to do as Depeche Mode, they are relaunching 'Boxset' with all their 'Singles' 12''

Yes! Or Bowie or Metallica. Many artists have re-released some really cool color vinyls (indie artists with a fraction of her budget too). I’d love to see her team do the same. Why let all that money go to scalpers when they can go to her?

Guest Nobody Knows Me
18 minutes ago, o_g_c_x said:

I see incredible boxsets from artists that are not so known as Madonna. Sad she hasn't any. I really dont understand...and I'm not sure who's to blame...

My hope is that, if she signs to Warner again, we may start to see these things happen. 

I'm all for it & honestly there's no better time than to coincide with a tour DVD/Blu-Ray/digital/streaming release &/or a really amazing biopic. And of course throw in 2-4 new songs if not more & do a couple videos & ultimately a greatest hits tour. The time is now for that she's reaching a point especially after all the mishaps during the last (& theatre tour at that!) that it's time to focus on the legacy for a bit & then ultimately put out at least one last iconic dance album of pure perfection like Confessions, The First Album, You Can Dance etc.... maybe work with classic producers like Stuart Price....I am really hoping that is the route she takes next. There's always time for more experimental albums. Just my opinion. Get back with Warner. Focus of a huge greatest hits/legacy restoration - boxed sets, vinyls, RSD special editions galore & special release treats from the vaults like Mariah Carey is doing & like happens when others pass away unfortunately. Don't wait & let someone else do stuff like that. Control it all yourself, now, make the money for your kids now...I'm rambling LOL! I have so many thoughts lately about what I hope the near M future holds for M & us fans! :Madonna001:

She's doing exactly the same than Prince. He came back to Warner in 2014 with a new deal (which was including new albums and the re-release of Purple Rain), and he started to write an autobiography  (Madonna is writing a biopic). Sadly he didn't got enough time for the Re-release and the bio. But Warner published the re-release of Purple Rain after his death, and part of his bio has been published last year. Warner also teamed up with Prince's legacy to re-release tons of his records including brand new songs.

1 hour ago, likeaprayer76 said:

She's doing exactly the same than Prince. He came back to Warner in 2014 with a new deal (which was including new albums and the re-release of Purple Rain), and he started to write an autobiography  (Madonna is writing a biopic). Sadly he didn't got enough time for the Re-release and the bio. But Warner published the re-release of Purple Rain after his death, and part of his bio has been published last year. Warner also teamed up with Prince's legacy to re-release tons of his records including brand new songs.

Did they released unreleased songs ?

Guest DeeperDeeper
21 hours ago, kesiak said:

"Celebration" went gold or platinum pretty much all over the world. Kylie's recent greatest hits compilation released last summer has already been certified gold in UK, despite being her - oh I don't know - 12th "best of" package? These sets clearly sell. The problem with all of the existing Madonna compilations is that none of them is truly comprehensive. Even The Immaculate Collection wasn't - it takes some balls and a truly extraordinary catalogue of songs to be able to not only release a greatest hits set 8 years into one's career but do so omitting several Top 5 hits as well as a couple of #1s. She's now had 63 Top 10 singles in UK and 38 in US and there isn't a single unified release that would honour that. There are so many great songs that were big hits but have been forgotten over time and that deserve being re-introduced to a broader audience (for example Angel, Causing a Commotion, This Used to Be..., I'll Remember).

With all this talk among Madonna's fans about her not respecting her legacy, I find it strange there would be so much opposition to a new greatest hits package. Of course we, the fans, can compile whatever the hell we want and with whichever edit/remix we like. We're are also the ones who will most likely buy any of her re-released/re-mastered albums. A comprehensive "best of" compilation would be a great way to bring general public's attention back to Madonna's music and re-introduce her amazing catalogue. :)

Remember the Immaculate collection was her first greatest hits collection and she hadn't even been a pop star for even a decade when that was released. I still say the Immaculate Collection is the Madonna greatest hits collection for any serious record collector who's not a fan of hers. 

Back in the 90s Kylie released all her remixes she did on a set of 4 CD's. If Madonna did something similar and released all her remixes and made them available on streaming sites and iTunes she'd please a lot of fans. 

Edited by DeeperDeeper (see edit history)

52 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Remember the Immaculate collection was her first greatest hits collection and she hadn't even been a pop star for even a decade when that was released. I still say the Immaculate Collection is the Madonna greatest hits collection for any serious record collector who's not a fan of hers. 

Back in the 90s Kylie released all her remixes she did on a set of 4 CD's. If Madonna did something similar and released all her remixes and made them available on streaming sites and iTunes she'd please a lot of fans. 

IC had it all : her best new tracks for a compilation ever!!  Justify My Love and the amazing Beast Within Mix and   Rescue Me, amazing photoshoot by Herb Ritts,  the Royal Box and a figure of 35m copies sold! 

57 minutes ago, Ryder said:

IC had it all : her best new tracks for a compilation ever!!  Justify My Love and the amazing Beast Within Mix and   Rescue Me, amazing photoshoot by Herb Ritts,  the Royal Box and a figure of 35m copies sold! 

This is true but if you ever talk to younger Madonna fans they really did pick up the mantle around Ray Of Light, Music or Confessions and while they find some of the 80’s singles brilliant, they don’t have the love for the albums from that period like people who lived through it.

A Madonna greatest hits collection these days just wouldn’t be comprehensive if it didn’t inlcude

Hung Up

4 Minutes

Music

Frozen

Ray Of Light

and a single disc of her greatest hits would probably lose songs like

Lucky Star

Live To Tell

Open Your Heart

Cherish

Rescue Me

and maybe even Justify My Love.

We forget what titans some of the songs in her Catalogue and I imagine the most successful greatest hits are single disc and concise. Look at ABBA. They had so many singles and GOLD worked so well because there were no releases after it. It’s a completely comprehensive of their entire career. 
Record company compilers know punters scan the back of the CD track list really quickly on their supermarket shop and know they need to hit a home run with every song on the tracklist in the ten seconds someone scans it.

Holiday

Borderline

Like A Virgin

Material Girl

Crazy For You

Into The Groove

Papa Don’t Preach

La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer

Express Yourself

Vogue

Frozen

Ray Of Light

Music

Dont Tell Me

Die Another Day

Hung Up

4 Minutes 

is the Locals tracklist

I know there’s a gaping hole where Erotica and Bedtime Stories should be but the truth is Take A Bow wasn’t that big a hit outside of America. 
I can’t see them including anything from the Interscope years on a single disc greatest hits. 

2 minutes ago, steady75 said:

This is true but if you ever talk to younger Madonna fans they really did pick up the mantle around Ray Of Light, Music or Confessions and while they find some of the 80’s singles brilliant. They don’t have the love for the albums from that period like people who lived through it.

A Madonna greatest hits collection these days just wouldn’t be comprehensive if it didn’t inlcude

Hung Up

4 Minutes

Music

Frozen

Ray Of Light

and a single disc of her greatest hits would probably lose songs like

Lucky Star

Borderline

Live To Tell

Open Your Heart

Cherish

Rescue Me

and maybe even Justify My Love.

We forget what titans some of the songs in her Catalogue and I imagine the most successful greatest hits are single disc and concise. Look at ABBA. They had so many singles and GOLD worked so well because there were no releases after it. It’s a completely comprehensive of their entire career. 
Record company compilers know punters scan the back of the CD track list really quickly on their supermarket shop and know they need to hit a home run with every song on the tracklist in the ten seconds someone scans it.

Holiday

Borderline

Like A Virgin

Material Girl

Crazy For You

Into The Groove

Papa Don’t Preach

La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer

Express Yourself

Vogue

Justify My Love

Frozen

Ray Of Light

Music

Dont Tell Me

Die Another Day

Hung Up

4 Minutes 

is the Locals tracklist

I know there’s a gaping hole where Erotica and Bedtime Stories should be but the truth is Take A Bow wasn’t that big a hit outside of America. 

Borderline was not a hit in Europe either.

Guest DeeperDeeper

With IC the way Shep Pettibone remixed the collection and the addition of two new (now deemed classic songs) and the photography by Herb Ritts, is what made IC unique and iconic. 

What made GHV2 and Celebration really poor is the way the tracks were mixed, the art work and packaging. 

The only thing which would boost the sales of a Madonna GH now would be if she released her autobiography to accompany the book. 

17 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

Borderline was not a hit in Europe either.

Yeah borderline is one of my least favourite Madonna singles but it’s one of her most covered songs I believe. People really dig it for some reason and it’s often noted as the song that showed she wasn’t just some other post disco singer. 
I’d rather Open Your Heart took it’s placed but they usually balance these collections out. Even MJ collections don’t include all the Thriller singles even though they are hands down the best known songs of his. 

I loved Celebration artwork, and I think it was a good opportunity to update The Immaculate Collection and erase GHV2 forever... but I was upset that her Grammy award album: Ray of light was only represented by 2 singles, same with Music, and even Confessions, but we had an expanded collection of 80's singles that weren't huge hits, like Dress you up, Burning up, Everybody (seriously, 5 endless singles of The First Album wtf!). And who though that Miles away had to be there instead of Give it 2 me? Also, no Deeper and deeper? 
For me that collection screammed: artist of the 80's all the way, and not a reflection of the constant evolving Madonna. 

On the other hand, the poor GHV2 could be released with Impressive instant remixes as a main single. I didn't understand why the release that lazy collection without anything new for the fans, and the promo of Impressive Instant was topping the charts of dance / club for 2 weeks at the same time. 

It felt right that entire career retrospective included Everybody, Burning Up, Dress You Up and Who’s Thats Girl though.

Miles Away was the only real odd inclusion in Celebration along with that long ass version of Holiday which took up the space of two other singles. 

Deeper & Deeper & Give It 2 Me should have made the album. 

4 hours ago, likeaprayer76 said:

Yes, tons of unreleasead songs. But in the case of Prince, it's different, he recorded tons of unreleased material trhough the years. In the case of Madonna, I think there are only a few unknown songs. 

There is more than a few but most of them unfinished, work in progress ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unreleased_songs_recorded_by_Madonna

Celebration came too early. Should have been released in 2010 imo.

Is Madonna.com still a thing ? It should be relaunched with her whole discography made available on it. A page for each album, a page for each single with its remixes and video on it (with links to buy them). A cool photo gallery. What allaboutmadonna is/was (?) should have been on Madonna.com. But do artists still have websites or do they only use Instagram now ?

15 minutes ago, InterlacedGeek said:

There is more than a few but most of them unfinished, work in progress ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unreleased_songs_recorded_by_Madonna

This isn’t really a good guide for her unreleased material. There’s still so much we don’t know about. We only found out about Angels With Dirty Faces like 5 years ago, then all of sudden it leaked a year ago.

8 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

Is Madonna.com still a thing ? It should be relaunched with her whole discography made available on it. A page for each album, a page for each single with its remixes and video on it (with links to buy them). A cool photo gallery. What allaboutmadonna is/was (?) should have been on Madonna.com. But do artists still have websites or do they only use Instagram now ?

Prince’s site is really well done and has  great info for each project of his. 

12 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

Celebration came too early. Should have been released in 2010 imo.

It’s funny, I know how fans feel about this compilation, but I know nothing what the rest of the world think of it.

During that time, Janet and Kylie put out GH’s that we’re really well done and did a good job at celebrating their legacy and discography. Jan’s used all the right edits and single mixes. It was first time I ever heard Diamonds or Best Things in Life are Free.

2 hours ago, deathproof said:

It’s funny, I know how fans feel about this compilation, but I know nothing what the rest of the world think of it.

During that time, Janet and Kylie put out GH’s that we’re really well done and did a good job at celebrating their legacy and discography. Jan’s used all the right edits and single mixes. It was first time I ever heard Diamonds or Best Things in Life are Free.

By releasing it at th end of the S&S tour it felt like a rushed job. By releasing it in 2010 with a remastered edition of Something to Remembr and maybe, maybe all her albums at the same time...i'm not even talking about bonus tracks and box sets....just the albums remastered like the very least they could have done to launch a campaign. But since Madonna was no longer their artist they probably did not want to invest in her. It's stupid if so since her back catalogue means millions for the company.

And in great Madonna tradition the video version of the single was a remix not availabl on the album. It was like when she promoted an unavailable remix of Living for Love on every tv show.

Guest DeeperDeeper
On 8/16/2020 at 3:16 AM, Roland Barthes said:

By releasing it at th end of the S&S tour it felt like a rushed job. By releasing it in 2010 with a remastered edition of Something to Remembr and maybe, maybe all her albums at the same time...i'm not even talking about bonus tracks and box sets....just the albums remastered like the very least they could have done to launch a campaign. But since Madonna was no longer their artist they probably did not want to invest in her. It's stupid if so since her back catalogue means millions for the company.

And in great Madonna tradition the video version of the single was a remix not availabl on the album. It was like when she promoted an unavailable remix of Living for Love on every tv show.

Another Something to Remember type album with ballards would be appreciated and probably be a hit on Adult Contemporary radio. 

Edited by DeeperDeeper (see edit history)

"Celebration" was rushed and you can tell Warner and her didn't care much about it, it was a very bittersweet ending. The mastering/remastering is really bad, also a sign of those years, too, sadly, with loudness war at its peak.

Someone mentioned Janet's 2009 compilation, and it suffered the same problem: correct single versions - the track listing was a dream - but the mastering was loud and distorted.

With 80s artists I think that's always gonna be a problem: they try to master and boost the old sound to compete with current recordings and it simply can't.

Anyway, there's always room for another Madonna compilation, if they do the biopic I'm sure there will be another one: "Blond Ambition - The Greatest Hits", whatever. Legacy artists still release compilations and they do well - Kylie released another one last year and it did pretty well.

• Fighter locked and unfeatured this topic