Rumor: Madonna Left Interscope?

Shoful

4 hours ago, TonyMontana said:

Btw, how did this thread turned into discussing a Greatest hits that has never been announced anywhere ?! Cause guys, we (including myself) are discussing it like it's happening for real ! maybe it's time for us to fly to Jamaica to smoke weed...

I was thinking that too ? I don’t get why people care about GH anymore - her only good ones were TIC, YCD & STR 

20 hours ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

Can someone explain why so many people hate celebration?

Personally I don't hate it but I would like to have an official Madonna compilation that I could listen to. I know nowadays we can all do our own playlists, but...

The main issue to me is the audio quality, more than different versions and choices, etc. "GHV2" also had a "controversial" tracklist at the time, but audio quality was consistent and good. "Celebration" is just too loud and distorted, and little details like the pops and clicks in "Music" or "Like A Prayer" being slower... of course the general public won't care but fans do.

2009 "remastering" was like that, anyway, remember it was the iPod and MP3 player days and commercial songs were mastered to sound loud enough through tiny speakers and bad earphones.

1 hour ago, wtg1987 said:

I was thinking that too ? I don’t get why people care about GH anymore - her only good ones were TIC, YCD & STR 

Because it would be great if there was a compilation with all of the definitive single versions. It’s crazy that it took 15 years for the Vogue Single Mix to appear on iTunes. And roughly 10 years on streaming. It was a big mistake for it to not be on Celebration.

Theres single mixes of Open Your Heart, Causing a Commotion, Express Yourself, Keep It Together, Rescue Me, Rain, Hanky Panky, the 7” of LAP, etc etc..., that arnt available in the digital age of 2020.

Yes, us fans can make our own compilations and download whatever remixes and edits we want. But what about the general public? Other fan bases? They should be able to experience the real legitimate versions that made these songs legendary and iconic.

I think a comprehensive compilation would help solidify her legacy, and would allow the general public to celebrate Madonna’s music again like they did in the past.

2 minutes ago, RebelHeartbreak said:

To each their own, but I’m not okay with saying goodbye to M limping to a halt after an uneven era that has left many of us long time fans bewildered. 

As opposed to the MDNA era or the Rebel Heart era? 

Madame X was a huge step forward artistically for M imo.

Yeah I agree. You choose. 

Strutting down the runway in a packed arena, grinding your puss on a boombox, a nod to your first tour, during a balloon drop with thousands screaming your name after a late career universal hit with a hugely successful album.

or

Pulling the remixes for your latest single because of a court case over ownership whilst cutting said number out of your much maligned theatre show and limping off stage with a broken hip in the middle of a pandemic.

I mean it's a tough choice ladies. 

8 hours ago, steady75 said:

It also seems to be a Male phenomenon. I don’t know any girls that buy vinyl to be honest. It’s all men. If you look at the most purchased vinyl albums in the UK last year they’re all really blokey legacy acts for the most part. Weird huh. 

So most people that buy vinyl are they buying new releases or albums they don’t already have or are they buying vinyl of albums they already have on cd that scratched or that they just want to replace for whatever reason? I’m guessing it’s more of the latter, but not sure. 
I’m a girl, and I buy the occasional vinyl but I’m not a huge collector. 

1 hour ago, deathproof said:

Because it would be great if there was a compilation with all of the definitive single versions. It’s crazy that it took 15 years for the Vogue Single Mix to appear on iTunes. And roughly 10 years on streaming. It was a big mistake for it to not be on Celebration.

Theres single mixes of Open Your Heart, Causing a Commotion, Express Yourself, Keep It Together, Rescue Me, Rain, Hanky Panky, the 7” of LAP, etc etc..., that arnt available in the digital age of 2020.

Yes, us fans can make our own compilations and download whatever remixes and edits we want. But what about the general public? Other fan bases? They should be able to experience the real legitimate versions that made these songs legendary and iconic.

I think a comprehensive compilation would help solidify her legacy, and would allow the general public to celebrate Madonna’s music again like they did in the past.

And it would be nice for fans to make their own compilations with good files and not vinyl transfers with cracking sounds, not all files having the same sound level and mastering etc....

11 minutes ago, Glindathegood said:

So most people that buy vinyl are they buying new releases or albums they don’t already have or are they buying vinyl of albums they already have on cd that scratched or that they just want to replace for whatever reason? I’m guessing it’s more of the latter, but not sure. 
I’m a girl, and I buy the occasional vinyl but I’m not a huge collector. 

Seemingly it's middle aged men who used to collect vinyl in their youth but moved to CD's in the last 20 years and. Most of them use streaming for convenience but like the physical format. There's a huge market in getting the vinyl version of the late 80's & 90's stuff they bought on CD. A big market in re-editions of single vinyls and standard vinyls in a 2 disc / colour variant format. I think it's emblematic of a time where we have something physical in our hands etc. Original mid 90's albums that were issued on vinyl are the most expensive to find now. George Michaels OLDER is about £700.

Second to that is the expansion in younger music enthusiasts buying vinyl. Again this is about ownership and having something physical in your hands. There's something quite politcal about this because it's almost a social commentary on how transient life is for young people today. Their TV, Film & Music is streamed. Their photos and better "versions"  of themselves are on instagram and many can't afford to buy a car or a home unlike people a generation ago. They're a renting generation in more than one way.

If you look at the photos of record store day releases it tends to be men 30+ in the queues outside HMV and the like.

14 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

And it would be nice for fans to make their own compilations with good files and not vinyl transfers with cracking sounds, not all files having the same sound level and mastering etc....

I would actually happily make my own compilations on Spotify to be honest. I just want the damn versions there and all of them. But I do like a well done single versions and short edits collection.

9 hours ago, steady75 said:

I’d actually like as many comprehensive compilations and re-editions as possible before the companies stop making CD’s. There are already industry moves to stop stocking CD’s (...)global economies really are starting to seriously look at eco friendly methods

It would be interesting to see what the actual carbon footprint now is with physical releases. It seems to be a misconception to think that virtual business is more ecofriendly per se. Just think about the electricity needed for anything virtual. It needs to be produced somewhere. And the production is the opposite of ecofriendly as well...

1 hour ago, NowRadiate said:

It would be interesting to see what the actual carbon footprint now is with physical releases. It seems to be a misconception to think that virtual business is more ecofriendly per se. Just think about the electricity needed for anything virtual. It needs to be produced somewhere. And the production is the opposite of ecofriendly as well...

There’s an interesting study on the carbon footprint of spam emails. All those tiny pings add up.

cds are way worse though. Sourcing the plastic, making it. Printing it Delivering it. 

15 pages and no official confirmation. Was this just another case of fans and their wishful thinking? 

I'd love for it to be true, but would a change in record company really result in better albums? The albums with Interscope albums were awful, but more and more the woman seems, and even sounds like, a zombie of her former self. Changing record companies won't change that really. 

Maybe she’s just having her own wilderness years a bit like Prince. I know she’s still present but maybe a new deal will breathe some new life in to her.

As a fan I’ve enjoyed many things about the last three records. Rebel Heart & Madame X are great. MDNA has some great songs and concepts but the execution is poor as fuck and the way they land with the GP is off the mark. She lost the ability to read the mood. 

She just needs to meld the qualities of the projects. The Ambition of Rebel Heart, the creativity of Madame X and the quality and songwriting of some time ago. 
It’s the melodies and vocal treatment that are missing. Once that’s fixed we’ll be back on track. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me
38 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Maybe she’s just having her own wilderness years a bit like Prince. I know she’s still present but maybe a new deal will breathe some new life in to her.

As a fan I’ve enjoyed many things about the last three records. Rebel Heart & Madame X are great. MDNA has some great songs and concepts but the execution is poor as fuck and the way they land with the GP is off the mark. She lost the ability to read the mood. 

She just needs to meld the qualities of the projects. The Ambition of Rebel Heart, the creativity of Madame X and the quality and songwriting of some time ago. 
It’s the melodies and vocal treatment that are missing. Once that’s fixed we’ll be back on track. 

Totally agree. I really hope she works with some fantastic songwriters on her next record, and a producer who’ll give us some stronger melodies and natural vocals. 

3 hours ago, steady75 said:

I think that, artistically and perhaps also business-wise, she is/has been surrounded by the wrong people, wrong talent, wrong influence for years. Not sure what happened.

7 hours ago, steady75 said:

I agree. It's like someone told her she had a beautiful voice and now that's all we get. She has a beautiful voice when it's complimented with beautiful background voices. It's okay sometimes when she does a studio version with layered Madonna backing vocals, but then live it's flat - and I despise a live show with backing vocals on CD. I want a live band and live backing singers. Lots of them!!

Guest Nobody Knows Me
9 minutes ago, RinoTheBouncer said:

I’ve been thinking, since IGTTYAS has been removed from iTunes Stores, could it be that Warner is planning a remastered release just like the Vogue and Human Nature singles?

I don’t think either of those singles are remastered, are they? 

Guest DeeperDeeper
14 hours ago, steady75 said:

MadameX should have been one of her masterpieces. It has all the elements, yet it didn't come together as cohesive as it should have. 

On 8/17/2020 at 1:26 PM, Mr. Peanutbutter Horseman said:

As opposed to the MDNA era or the Rebel Heart era? 

Madame X was a huge step forward artistically for M imo.

I can only speak for myself on the MDNA and RHT eras, and my experiences from how I enjoyed each album to how each tour makes me feel when I see them. I enjoyed RHT much more than MDNAT, and have an equal like/love of each album, including MX. 
As a man in my mid-40’s the Madame X era was exciting, referential in the right ways, and conceptually great. But the whole method-actor 007 schtick irritated me. The rollout was better than I thought at the time, I just feel that Interscope really had no idea how to market M’s music, especially RH. There’s no excuse for the gimmickry of the 3 editions and drastically different covers that only a fan would know the difference, all on the same day? I still can’t figure out how they released 3 versions of the same track list, w/ different cover art, yet they would NOT release a “Rebel” album, a “Heart” album, then a 2 disc “Rebel Heart” album with the definitive tracklist we know. She either didn’t utilize the A&R and marketing departments at Interscope,  or they had no idea that Madonna came from an entire career of having all of those behind the scenes elements in-house and delegated for her. As much as it would make sense to just create and present her work independently, I can also see her enjoying driving the well oiled machine that a label line Warner could offer her.  
As histrionic as this reads, Interscope just seemed like they manhandled M from the get-go. But maybe they weren’t obligated to do more, so the cold-shoulder approach to marketing may just be me assuming they owed her more. 

• Fighter locked and unfeatured this topic