RinoTheBouncer

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RinoTheBouncer

One of the things that really bother me about Madonna and her management is their disrespect towards Madonna’s legacy. So much of Madonna’s past work is abandoned. There’s no cohesive effort to constantly emphasize on her as an artist and her name, and that is probably one of the reasons why she might be less popular now than she used to be and not as often mentioned as Michael Jackson for example, because for an artist that has literally created the blueprint for touring, theatrical music video

dylanlioncourt

No lies were spilled. Treating her catalog and hard work with the respect it deserves doesn't mean she's over and a legacy act. It's because most of her videos look like rips from the Immaculate Collection VHS and Video Collection: 93-99. It's about promoting and exposing your work to new generations and fans that will not track down those rare singles or even bother trying to collect them. Streaming seems to be the future so why would you be against Madonna having her remixes, remix albums, EP'

Raio_05

I'm sorry but sometimes I feel like I'm living in a different reality than some of her fans.  Everywhere I go, every time I watch something, every time I meet someone, Madonna is there. Just yesterday I counted 5 Madonna references in shows I've watched in the past week alone. My non-fan friends send me things they see of her all the time, like a t-shirt at a store or whatever.  The woman had a #1 album in several countries just 18 months ago, followed by a sold-out tour of very expens

Excellent post, we need more re-releases, heck even Garbage re-mastered and re-released their debut album for it's 20th anniversary a few years ago, they also did the same for their second album Version 2.0 in coloured vinyl and threw in some extra goodies as well, a poster, signed slipmat etc, but when it comes to M she's sitting on a goldmine of untapped potential when will she wake up and smell the coffee 

Regarding her back catalogue, the majority of the problems lie solely with Madonna, and not just her label/management. It's her tunnel-vision approach to her 'art' and her refusal to look back that is halting any kinds of anniversary releases or reissues, and that is very disappointing. She owns the rights to new releases, and the label is only able to release new versions of what has already been released (hence the many colour vinyl reissues). She is single-handedly sabotaging her legacy with this attitude. People are forgetting who she is, rather than celebrating her as the icon she should be. As for the promo of her more recent releases, well, Madonna / Management / Label can all take a share of the blame on that one. 

1 hour ago, PWCCA said:

her refusal to look back that is halting any kinds of anniversary releases or reissues, and that is very disappointing.

What has she refused?

1 hour ago, PWCCA said:

She is single-handedly sabotaging her legacy with this attitude.

What attitude? When has she expressed this?

1 hour ago, Hari Beaux said:

Madonna is very hands on with everything isnt she?

Hard to know what's real and what's a perception of how involved she is. I think she used to be more hands on with everything related to her music/recording career even calling up DJs and producers personally she wanted to remix her singles but think the last 3 albums I am not so sure that she has not left more to the people around her and delegated more. With MDNA and Rebel Heart I feel she was probably less hands-on than previous albums and don't think she was heavily involved in the writing and production of the tracks as she would normally have been - most of the songs on those 2 albums don't feel like her and the remixes from those albums were so generally poor I can't think she could have been very hands on in their A&R. But suppose the 2 tour DVDs she seemed to be involved too much with those and ended up with an over edited version of both shows.  I think for sure she had a reputation for being very hands-on and maybe still is but wonder if she is less hands-on now at least with her recording work and promotion but do think Madame X feels more like her work and input than the previous 2 albums

51 minutes ago, vitoralmeiida said:

she has said time and time again that she doesn't like to revisit past eras, she likes to focus on today, on her current craft.

But she references her past quite often in her current work...

And has been more vocal in recent years of her rise to fame and rough beginnings...

She even mentioned in 2015 how she wouldn’t be against the idea of an unreleased/demo compilation.

Going further, she even talked about touring her costume/outfit collection around the globe back in 2004-2006.

This idea that Madonna is so against anniversary releases or reissues, is a myth.

She attended a 25th anniv screening of Truth or Dare.

4 hours ago, RinoTheBouncer said:

Whether it’s longtime hardcore fans you’re after or new audiences, these things have a huge impact on maintaining an artist’s image. Her legacy matters and when a label emphasizes on that gold mine she has, they can always help keep her relevant instead of looking for the next rapper or sexy young talent to sing a mediocre song with and blame its underperformance on sexism and ageism. 

By Madame X, they have toned it down by focusing on fans towards the end. Her music collabs with artists are actually pretty good, from Nicki Minah, Swae Lee, Maluma, and Dua Lipa whom fans we're appreciative and welcoming of her presence. So they may have a formula on how to get new audiences compared to her working with 20+ producers in one album. Her team is still a mess though, and I agree with the majority with her coming back to Warner guarantees us and her to revisit her legacy and finally present that the new age of music. You can't win new audiences until they understand and respect your legacy. Her team has to respect that first.

6 minutes ago, John Wayne said:

I mean, have you guys seen her digital catalogue on Spotify or iTunes? It's complelety unorganized and incomplete compared to other pop legends like Kylie or Cher.  

This is something that needs to be worked on. Fans complain about it, as well as the remastering of her videos on YouTube, but it all does matter at the end of the day!

On 8/17/2020 at 2:47 PM, John Wayne said:

I mean, have you guys seen her digital catalogue on Spotify or iTunes? It's complelety unorganized and incomplete compared to other pop legends like Kylie or Cher.  

Its a total mess. You can't even listen to the album mix of Confessions. New listeners are missing out on the novelty that we got when we bought the cd.

Edited by Piksel8
grammar (see edit history)

Once again, and i'm quite used to it (lol), my opinion will be different than most of fans, but you know what? And i really mean it ; i like it thay way. That way she stays current. When everything is well organised and every things from the past is being celebrated with anniversaries it feels like... it's over and what's left to celebrate is the past. In a way it feels tacky. Madonna is current, Madonna is still about Now and the Future, sometimes it's a mess,  sometimes it's amazing, IT'S ALIVE. 

I love that she stays current but she's doing a huge disservice to her legacy. The way the 90s have been rewritten as if she wasn't around is so sad tbh. Remastering her videos, and making sure her catalog is accessible (and the correct versions in good quality) is key to not only gaining new fans who may look past her stuff because it mostly looks and sounds decent to bad in today's standard but to gain money on all those fans who are mostly into her older stuff. Yeah, we know she doesn't want them to be happy lol but make some money off them mom! 

Guest Nobody Knows Me
1 hour ago, devilpray said:

I love that she stays current but she's doing a huge disservice to her legacy. The way the 90s have been rewritten as if she wasn't around is so sad tbh. Remastering her videos, and making sure her catalog is accessible (and the correct versions in good quality) is key to not only gaining new fans who may look past her stuff because it mostly looks and sounds decent to bad in today's standard but to gain money on all those fans who are mostly into her older stuff. Yeah, we know she doesn't want them to be happy lol but make some money off them mom! 

Totally agree, and it definitely does make sense to start doing this sort of stuff now as well. This past year hasn’t been great for her with the general public, and I get that some people want her to stay current but the issue is that she isn’t at the moment. Remastering videos and reissuing albums would not only bring attention to her in a more optimistic way, but it’d also get her some coins whilst she takes a while off touring! But like I said earlier, if she’s with Warner again then I do imagine we’ll start to see some of this stuff.  

I think they should start organizing the spotify catalogue at least, put the original albums, not the reisues, there are songs in his 12' remix version instead of the original, like dress you up, the cover of "madonna" has a black stain in M's nose, Pray for Spanish Eyes has a glitch at the beggining, etc, Madonna doesn't deserve this

Guest Nobody Knows Me
3 hours ago, TonyMontana said:

She's not a legacy artist yet, thankfully. 

She’s not, but I don’t think her paying respect to her legacy makes her a legacy act. She’s an icon so I think her catalogue does deserve a lot more respect. Artists like Mariah and Kylie still pay respect to their back catalogue without becoming a legacy act. 

I think they can do more than what they make. I can understand that they don't want to re-release an album for every annyversary and things like that but I feel that the things they do are not good enough. I mean, just look at her youtube. The videos are in low quality, you can see videos that have nothing to do with her and things like that.

I know people that doesn't look her videos just because they look too old and most of the times is because the quality is not good. I said this in another thread but I'll say it again. My sister was watching videos from the 80's and when she started with "Material girl" she said "Wow, this video looks too old". She said that because she was watching videos from the same year of other artists and yeah, the effects and things like that were very 80's but the quality of the picture was much better. I show her another version of the video with better quality and she was like "Yeah, much better... Why doesn't they upload her videos in better quality? They don't look good. Madonna was always great because she gave quality. Doing this is like "Well, that was not good enough to spend time or money giving a better quality file, people won't visit the site so this is good enough".

That's what I feel sometimes, that Madonna's legacy is treated as if it had been made for some completly unkown singer but the general public right now. For example, don't know if you know the song "Wonderful Life" by Black. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't  remember she had a very long career with full of success. He was more like a "One hit wonder" and his video is in 1080 on youtube. Same with other artists... With Madonna is like "Ok, here's what you have and she's not important enough to give you something better".

I think today they could do lots of things to let people now what she had made for music, videos, concerts and things like that without re-realising albums, box-sets and things like that. Just giving the general public what they can get for free (youtube, spotify and things like that) something with at least the same quality as other less important artists. 

6 hours ago, TonyMontana said:

She's not a legacy artist yet, thankfully. 

Judging by the last 10 years of no significant hit songs - albums that barely made it to number 1 and having no staying power on the charts after week 1 and general lack of respect from non-fans she isn’t far off . I think she is too stubborn to accept this now though ?