The Mistreatment of Madonna’s Legacy

RinoTheBouncer

Guest Nobody Knows Me

If the biopic is a success and Warner start reissuing previous albums or release another greatest hits album then there will definitely be demand for an arena tour. The Madame X Tour only visited North America and Europe, and only three countries in Europe, so if she tours again it'll have been a long time since she last visited most places and there'll likely be demand again. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RinoTheBouncer

One of the things that really bother me about Madonna and her management is their disrespect towards Madonna’s legacy. So much of Madonna’s past work is abandoned. There’s no cohesive effort to constantly emphasize on her as an artist and her name, and that is probably one of the reasons why she might be less popular now than she used to be and not as often mentioned as Michael Jackson for example, because for an artist that has literally created the blueprint for touring, theatrical music video

dylanlioncourt

No lies were spilled. Treating her catalog and hard work with the respect it deserves doesn't mean she's over and a legacy act. It's because most of her videos look like rips from the Immaculate Collection VHS and Video Collection: 93-99. It's about promoting and exposing your work to new generations and fans that will not track down those rare singles or even bother trying to collect them. Streaming seems to be the future so why would you be against Madonna having her remixes, remix albums, EP'

Raio_05

I'm sorry but sometimes I feel like I'm living in a different reality than some of her fans.  Everywhere I go, every time I watch something, every time I meet someone, Madonna is there. Just yesterday I counted 5 Madonna references in shows I've watched in the past week alone. My non-fan friends send me things they see of her all the time, like a t-shirt at a store or whatever.  The woman had a #1 album in several countries just 18 months ago, followed by a sold-out tour of very expens

On 1/31/2021 at 11:44 AM, Dito said:

I'm sorry but sometimes I feel like I'm living in a different reality than some of her fans. 

Everywhere I go, every time I watch something, every time I meet someone, Madonna is there. Just yesterday I counted 5 Madonna references in shows I've watched in the past week alone. My non-fan friends send me things they see of her all the time, like a t-shirt at a store or whatever. 

The woman had a #1 album in several countries just 18 months ago, followed by a sold-out tour of very expensive tickets that sold like hot cakes. She was universally appraised after 3 mediocre albums and at the age of 60 (!). 

Why do some fans focus so much on the butt and grillz and elevate those things to the same level of her work? That's like 10% of her. Yes, her Instagram is cringy but you guys know she's a boomer, right? lol what did you expect from a 60-year old woman on the internet... and I've seen way worse, to be honest.

I 100% disagree that younger people don't know her music, or at least that's not what I see in my personal experience. Her hit songs from Like a Virgin to Girl Gone Wild are very well known by the few 18-20-year olds I know and they do like her. Online I also get that feedback. She's seen as an icon, the Queen of Pop, the top of the hierarchy. Her status is unchanged by some grillz or whatever she may feel like wearing... 

I understand disliking the implants/grillz/cirurgies but to say she looks "cheap, basic, unflattering" when she's dressed in amazing outfits with bomb-ass makeup and hair for the gods just screams of sexism, ageism and even classism to me... but that's just my point of view. 

sometimes i have a drink at a place that is mainly for gay/by people but is straight frendly. This is the only place that the people than work here (mainly young gay people) know who madonna is. The dislike her because they think is a has been, an old lady. They like Gaga, Myley, Billie, Beyonce all the newer ones but not her. I tried to have a discussion with clear arguments but not. If madonna dont do something very good she is simply gone for good. Also, she does not respect her legacy in terms not only of material (songs, videos) but also in terms of her and make up. She looks unflattering for her so called, status. I am not having discussions about her because of these things and others.

31 minutes ago, into the erotico said:

sometimes i have a drink at a place that is mainly for gay/by people but is straight frendly. This is the only place that the people than work here (mainly young gay people) know who madonna is. The dislike her because they think is a has been, an old lady. They like Gaga, Myley, Billie, Beyonce all the newer ones but not her. I tried to have a discussion with clear arguments but not. If madonna dont do something very good she is simply gone for good. Also, she does not respect her legacy in terms not only of material (songs, videos) but also in terms of her and make up. She looks unflattering for her so called, status. I am not having discussions about her because of these things and others.

I am gay. But, gays often get on my nerves. lol

Alot of this elitist attitude as you describe.  Tho I havent been in a club in a year thanks to Covid so I could do with a Madonna argument at a bar about now.

13 minutes ago, ScottyX said:

I am gay. But, gays often get on my nerves. lol

Alot of this elitist attitude as you describe.  Tho I havent been in a club in a year thanks to Covid so I could do with a Madonna argument at a bar about now.

congrats, you admit it!

'I could do with a Madonna argument at a bar about now.' :thumbsup:

..but madonna has to do something with her career/legacy before its to late

I think Warner's and Madonna's logic is: if it sells well (or VERY well) by releasing a regular album edition and perhaps a deluxe with 4 bonus tracks, she still will make millions and millions of dollars just by doing that... so why bother?

I feel like the other (maybe lesser known) music acts do re-release albums, with box sets, remasters, etc. cause they need to keep creating more sources of income since they probably don't cash in enough as Madonna does with just 1 regular album, so that's why they/record company do that.

A total capitalistic, disposable approach to her work, screw the art and what fans want. Plus, obviously it seems Madonna doesn't give enough crap about her past work, she probably thinks looking back at her work will make her a nostalgia act and we know she desperately trying to be relevant in the present. Not a proper approach and train of thought there, one thing doesn't cancel another.

8 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

Rebel Heart played arenas, and did fairly well.  She has never played stadiums in the US. 
A lot of the artists that sell out stadiums don’t do it based on their new music, but do it based on their back catalogue and play Greatest Hits shows such as U2 and The Rolling Stones. 

She played some stadiums in the US during the Who's That Girl  Sticky and Sweet and MDNA tours

I saw her at Yankee Stadium in 2012 during the MDNA Tour

12 minutes ago, Mp1992 said:

She played some stadiums in the US during the Who's That Girl  Sticky and Sweet and MDNA tours

I saw her at Yankee Stadium in 2012 during the MDNA Tour

That must have been the only one. I saw her on MDNA here in DC in an arena. She may have played a few stadiums in the US but very rarely.  I also saw Sticky and Sweet here in DC in the same arena. 

23 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

That must have been the only one. I saw her on MDNA here in DC in an arena. She may have played a few stadiums in the US but very rarely.  I also saw Sticky and Sweet here in DC in the same arena. 

Her WTG tour was almost ALL stadium shows in the US.  Not to sound rude but if you're gonna make a bold statement like that, you might want to have your "facts" right

A Madonna theater residency on or off Broadway in NYC would be so cool.

She could be close to home. Work on things. Change things. Have it be an evolving thing. Tell stories. Do jokes. Do a dance number if she feels like it. Sit down and sing with Donna and Niki. Have random special guests. The perfect combo of where she is now as an artist and going back to where it all started in a way.

In a post Covid NYC it would be the hottest ticket in town (and the world). Would make things easier for her and her fans too. Although I'm sure there is coin to be made around the world. Just my 2 cents.

On 2/4/2021 at 4:11 PM, Glindathegood said:

I saw MDNA at Yankee Stadium, and Sticky and Sweet at Dodger Stadium. She has done stadiums, but her kind of show is theatrical and doesn’t translate to this kind of venue.

Ahh the Girlie Show! Pure excellence. I was there opening night. What a humble queen. Truly so sweet. The aggressive persona from Blond Ambition that I was fully expecting had gone and she was just adorable. And the show was fucking EVERYTHING..... and my first concert ever. Can you imagine what everything else had to live up to after that?! 
wig flew 

On 2/5/2021 at 6:40 PM, Mp1992 said:

Her WTG tour was almost ALL stadium shows in the US.  Not to sound rude but if you're gonna make a bold statement like that, you might want to have your "facts" right

I meant tours that I’ve seen. Who’s that Girl was a bit before my time. The fact is for the most part she hasn’t played stadiums, not to the same extent as people like the Stones, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel who are less visual and rely on playing mostly they’d big hits. 
You do sound rude. 

17 hours ago, Dito said:

No offense, but this is my worst nightmare

? I hear you. But it would basically be the Madame X tour but with a greatest hits set list, shows starting on time, and fans not traveling half way around the world to be canceled on a few hours before showtime. So at least a step in the right direction. 

But I'm also a weirdo who would be more excited about her sitting down for a few hours to talk about her back catalog than another concert.

19 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

Outside of the US maybe. I saw it in NYC at Madison Square Garden which is an arena.

Yeah, of course -- her demand in the USA was at an all-time low. Or her team just selected small venues for the USA, whereas the rest of the tour was playing in soccer stadiums, etc.  Or her attitude at the time was, "The USA is not the WORLD -- I'll go where people respected and supported my Erotica album." Or it's less or more complicated than that. The baseball World Series was happening at that time as well, making it difficult maybe to schedule shows. I only remember this because my home town of Toronto won :) .. for the second year in a row? Yeah. 

18 hours ago, Pootz333 said:

? I hear you. But it would basically be the Madame X tour but with a greatest hits set list, shows starting on time, and fans not traveling half way around the world to be canceled on a few hours before showtime. So at least a step in the right direction. 

But I'm also a weirdo who would be more excited about her sitting down for a few hours to talk about her back catalog than another concert.

What would be the point of doing a small venue show performing Greatest Hits?  I wouldn’t mind another small venue tour but I would want more obscure album tracks or lesser singles like Bad Girl, Hollywood, Nothing Really Matters etc. And vary the set list from night to night. 

On 2/7/2021 at 9:33 PM, captainjay said:

Yeah, of course -- her demand in the USA was at an all-time low. Or her team just selected small venues for the USA, whereas the rest of the tour was playing in soccer stadiums, etc.  Or her attitude at the time was, "The USA is not the WORLD -- I'll go where people respected and supported my Erotica album." Or it's less or more complicated than that. The baseball World Series was happening at that time as well, making it difficult maybe to schedule shows. I only remember this because my home town of Toronto won :) .. for the second year in a row? Yeah. 

In Europe she visited London and Paris, only (before she went to Tel Aviv and Turkey). There was going to be a concert in Frankfurt too, but this was cancelled.

there is no reason why Madonna couldnt do a similar type tour that Kylie did for Glastonbury. She dances a little. Really gets into the music. She doesn't kill herself tryin to do back flips in high heels or splits that send her legs a mile apart. Madonna is no spring chicken. She knows it.  We know it. The world knows it.  That is not callin her old.  That is just common sense. I love her to death.  I don't want her to stop doing what she does.  But a girl can break a hip. 

On 2/7/2021 at 3:33 PM, captainjay said:

Huh? She played arena's in the US, which is the norm for her and they sold out in record time, they had to add dates at MSG and Philadelphia.  She played ALL arenas in the US for the Blond Ambition Tour too.

Arena's are not "small venues".

2 hours ago, Mp1992 said:

Huh? She played arena's in the US, which is the norm for her and they sold out in record time, they had to add dates at MSG and Philadelphia.  She played ALL arenas in the US for the Blond Ambition Tour too.

Arena's are not "small venues".

To be clear, the limited venues selected for the USA were small venues when compared to the rest of the tour:

• Philadelphia, she performed for 13,810 fans (she only performed in Philly for 1 night) - correct me if I'm wrong - I'm always open to sharing data
  • Auburn Hills, she performed for 7,852 fans (2 nights totalling 15,705 fans)
  • Madison Square Garden, she performed for 14,451 fans (3 nights totalling 43,353 fans)

Compare to:

• Montreal (stadium), she performed for 51,900 fans (1 night)
  • Toronto (stadium), she performed for 50,880 fans (over 2 nights)
  • Wembley Stadium, she performed for 144,000 fans (2 nights, 72,000 each night)
  • Rio de Janeiro, 1 night 120,000 fans
  • Mexico City, 3 nights 137,000 fans (45,600 each night) 
  • Brisbane, 1 night 50,000 fans 
  • Melbourne, 147,000 fans over 3 nights
  • Sydney, 90,000 fans over 2 nights

The US leg of the Blond Ambition Tour was an arena tour, while the rest of the tour was mainly stadiums, including the other North American dates in Toronto (Skydome, 3 nights 80,000 total).

6 hours ago, captainjay said:

To be clear, the limited venues selected for the USA were small venues when compared to the rest of the tour:

• Philadelphia, she performed for 13,810 fans (she only performed in Philly for 1 night) - correct me if I'm wrong - I'm always open to sharing data
  • Auburn Hills, she performed for 7,852 fans (2 nights totalling 15,705 fans)
  • Madison Square Garden, she performed for 14,451 fans (3 nights totalling 43,353 fans)

Compare to:

• Montreal (stadium), she performed for 51,900 fans (1 night)
  • Toronto (stadium), she performed for 50,880 fans (over 2 nights)
  • Wembley Stadium, she performed for 144,000 fans (2 nights, 72,000 each night)
  • Rio de Janeiro, 1 night 120,000 fans
  • Mexico City, 3 nights 137,000 fans (45,600 each night) 
  • Brisbane, 1 night 50,000 fans 
  • Melbourne, 147,000 fans over 3 nights
  • Sydney, 90,000 fans over 2 nights

The US leg of the Blond Ambition Tour was an arena tour, while the rest of the tour was mainly stadiums, including the other North American dates in Toronto (Skydome, 3 nights 80,000 total).

yes and TGS was the same thing.  Arena's in the US, stadiums outside the US.  TGS made way more money than BAT with fewer dates and at the time has the highest per show gross of any female tour in history

People forget that.  She was also expected to continue the tour in early 1994 with more US dates but Madonna opted not to because she wanted to record another album and concentrate on film roles, this would lead to her eventual fall out with manager Freddy DeMann who wanted her to continue her hugely successful GS tour in 1994