Oh Father appreciation! ??

Ayham

An artistic triumph. Both the song and the music video.

Commercially, maybe they thought they could have another "Live To Tell" moment again - if it worked in 1986 why not in 1989? But that's a once in a lifetime thing, I guess, and 5-6 minute dark ballads are not exactly the most commercial choice for the charts. It was her first single since "Holiday" in 1984 to not enter the Top 10 in the US (peaking at #20).

According to David Fincher, he was the one who wanted to make the "Oh Father" video and then convinced her to release it as a single:

She came back to me and said, 'You screwed me up. You wanted to make this video for the song and no one liked the song and I went to bat for you and now I have to make a video by Tuesday.' And I said, 'What's the song called?' And she said, 'Vogue.'

(Original: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9aepky/the-cinematic-history-of-madonna-and-david-fincher

:lol: Love this

As a little gay boy in grade 5, I used to walk around the playground while it was snowing and pretend I was Madonna in the video. I’d constantly sing “Maybe some day, when I look back I’ll be able to say, you didn’t mean to be cruel”. 
I dunno maybe it was mildly an ode to the little see u next tuesdays that bullied me those days and eventually became horrible parents.
So lucky me.

Edit: oops I swore

That's exactly the Madonna I'd like to hear in the next album. Great melody, adult lyrics, mature sound.

To answer @Ayhamquestion, back then it wasn't released in Italy so Italian tv didn't air the video. My grandma lived in another town and her tv received a bad signal of Mtv and I saw it only once by chance. It's incredible how difficult it was, the problem was solved when the IC video collection was released.

4 hours ago, Prayer said:

An artistic triumph. Both the song and the music video.

Commercially, maybe they thought they could have another "Live To Tell" moment again - if it worked in 1986 why not in 1989? But that's a once in a lifetime thing, I guess, and 5-6 minute dark ballads are not exactly the most commercial choice for the charts. It was her first single since "Holiday" in 1984 to not enter the Top 10 in the US (peaking at #20).

According to David Fincher, he was the one who wanted to make the "Oh Father" video and then convinced her to release it as a single:

She came back to me and said, 'You screwed me up. You wanted to make this video for the song and no one liked the song and I went to bat for you and now I have to make a video by Tuesday.' And I said, 'What's the song called?' And she said, 'Vogue.'

(Original: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9aepky/the-cinematic-history-of-madonna-and-david-fincher

:lol: Love this

Hahaaa! Cool story... but I’m not sure why it wasn’t a hit... ?

1 hour ago, Andymad said:

As a little gay boy in grade 5, I used to walk around the playground while it was snowing and pretend I was Madonna in the video. I’d constantly sing “Maybe some day, when I look back I’ll be able to say, you didn’t mean to be cruel”. 
I dunno maybe it was mildly an ode to the little see u next tuesdays that bullied me those days and eventually became horrible parents.
So lucky me.

Edit: oops I swore

???

you know that I used to do the same in the playground too? But it wasn’t M lol! ☺️

1 hour ago, Enrico said:

That's exactly the Madonna I'd like to hear in the next album. Great melody, adult lyrics, mature sound.

To answer @Ayhamquestion, back then it wasn't released in Italy so Italian tv didn't air the video. My grandma lived in another town and her tv received a bad signal of Mtv and I saw it only once by chance. It's incredible how difficult it was, the problem was solved when the IC video collection was released.

Awww!!! Cute story... ? 

56 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

One of her best songs and that video is a masterpiece that is crying out for a blu ray release - my only memory is watching the video on top of the pops when it was released in the U.K. in 1996 and they cut the video to shreds ?

Again?!?! 1996 what happened? ?

3 hours ago, Ayham said:

Again?!?! 1996 what happened? ?

It was never released as a single in the U.K. - we got Dear Jessie Instead , probably as it’s more a Christmas sounding song and it did well too- it stayed in the top 10 for weeks - so when something to remember was released Sire decided to release oh father as a single In 1996 but it didn’t do very well and of course the video was Censored on TOTP 

3 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

It was never released as a single in the U.K. - we got Dear Jessie Instead , probably as it’s more a Christmas sounding song and it did well too- it stayed in the top 10 for weeks - so when something to remember was released Sire decided to release oh father as a single In 1996 but it didn’t do very well and of course the video was Censored on TOTP 

Damn!!! Lol! I didn’t know... it’s so weird... from 1989 to 1996!!! ??? wow! & why the video is censored? ? p.s. I hate Dear Jessie ? 

1 hour ago, Ayham said:

Damn!!! Lol! I didn’t know... it’s so weird... from 1989 to 1996!!! ??? wow! & why the video is censored? ? p.s. I hate Dear Jessie ? 

Because back then U.K. tv always censured her music videos they were afraid of her videos especially like a prayer , express , bad girl - nowadays they would play them in full