Madonna’s Weirdest Songs

Voguerista

What would be Madonna’s weirdest song(s) to you? 

I always thought Madonna’s weirdest song  was Bedtime Stories. I also remember thinking Paradise (Not For Me) and Mer Girl were weird too. When I first heard Batuka and Dark Ballet, I thought they were weird as well, but, adding to the weirdness of some Madonna’s songs, I must say all of them are so creative and brilliant as well. 

On 8/28/2020 at 6:35 PM, Voguerista said:

What would be Madonna weirdest song(s) to you? 

I always thought Madonna’s weirdest song  was Bedtime Stories.

Just wanted to say that... do you think that Bedtime Story Brit Awards version is better than the album version?

I was watching the video today, and is so good, M's presence just make the song better, how she moves in the stage, the way she sang it... just so gorgeous!

On 8/28/2020 at 2:35 PM, Voguerista said:

What would be Madonna weirdest song(s) to you? 

I always thought Madonna’s weirdest song  was Bedtime Stories. I also remember thinking Paradise (Not For Me) and Mer Girl were weird too. When I first heard Batuka and Dark Ballet, I thought they were weird as well, but, adding to the weirdness of some Madonna’s songs, I must say all of them are so creative and brilliant as well. 

Bedtime Story does feel the weirdest because it was written by Bjork. And Bjork has a very distinctive style that was interesting for Madonna to collaborate with. 

I think Erotica may have been weird for Madonna herself 

Madonna’s original version of Erotica, titled "You Thrill Me" made it apparent that She is not in her own shoes when she represents the final version of Erotica. With the first version"You Thrill me", Madonna writes about respect for our differences, loving someone and her longing for someone. A very submissive, feminine approach. The final version of Erotica created the character Dita, who is a dominatrix, who talks more about sex rather than love. We know Madonna is not necessarily the character she creates. 

Auto-Tune Baby
B-Day Song
Spanish Lesson
Act of Contrition
Nobody's Perfect
I'm Going Bananas

For me her weirdest songs are her worst. I think I listened 1-2 times all of those tracks and just couldn't listen anymore. :lol:

And on the other hand, there are the good weird ones: Mer Girl, Paradise (Not For Me), Bedtime Story, Sanctuary and even Medellín...

Mer Girl: it’s dark, haunting and very introspective especially towards the end when she talks about death, decay and the ground giving way beneath her.

Paradise (Not For Me): while lyrics may not be as dark as Mer Girl, it sounds otherworldly and unique.

Bedtime Story: the music, the lyrics and the music video detail unconsciousness, astral projection and leaving conventional life behind towards an ethereal existence. It is almost on par with Mer Girl.

Easy Ride: while the lyrics is more conventional, warm and positive than the others, the words she uses and the music makes it feel more experimental and poetic than her average songs.

Batuka: not only is it a genre that she never tackled before but the whole structuring of the song feels more like an anthem, a mantra or a call to war than a usual song.

Falling Free: it’s very sad and bitter song about coming to terms with separation and letting go of the need to know the reasons why. The lyrics is more poetic than usual and it’s beautiful and dark.

Best Friend: especially after it was used as an interlude, it sounds dark and melancholic with emphasis on regret and the lingering pain of losing someone so significant despite all of one’s effort to pretend they don’t matter.

Wash All Over Me: it’s more like a classic ballad than a “weird” song, but the lyrics makes it one of their sad songs that isn’t about a heartbreak or separation but rather accepting one’s own inevitable end.

Looking for Mercy: this one’s another traditional ballad, but the lyrics feel very raw and honest. It’s like Madonna is so vulnerable here and she’s suffering, she’s sad and she’s reflecting on how she feels lonely, judged and perhaps even reflecting on her age and her current state in life. She’s far more fragile and hurt than the powerful shell she usually shows herself in. It’s dark, it’s vulnerable and heartbreaking.

God Control: this one’s much more upbeat compared to the others on the list, but its structure, message, lyrics and the variations in music styles and effects make it stand out as quite the unusual track.

Dark Ballet: a weird song both lyrically and sonically with unpredictable variations in musical styles. 

Act of Contrition: another a pretty unusual track at least in terms of musical style and structure.

S.E.X.: sexy and weird in terms of structure. It doesn’t feel like a conventional song even though the lyrics is pretty common in her discography.

Somehow, I prefer almost all of these songs over her the majority of her songs including her hits.