stevemic

General Q&As: When exactly did the ponytail become curls?

I thought it would be a good idea to start a dedicated thread for random questions that this wonderful community of superfans will be able to help answer. 

One question that has recently been bothering me is:  during the Blond Ambition tour, I had always assumed that Madonna had her ponytail for all performances in Asia and North America until the last USA date on June 25 for East Rutherford, New Jersey, then changed her hair to short and curly when the tour reached Europe on June 30 for Gottenberg, Sweden.  But I saw a Blond Ambition Express Yourself performance where she had curly hair and greeted the audience with ''All right, America!'' suggesting she had curly hair earlier than I thought.

Does anyone know the exact date/performance location when she switched from ponytail to curly hair during the tour? (Sorry, if this has been asked and answered before).

:Madonna006:

The "All right America" from Turth Or Dare/In Bed With Madonna is fake, that show was filmed in Paris and the greeting part was done in post production. She did all the shows in Asia and America with the ponytail and then she switched to curls  for Europe because the hair piece of the ponytail was ruining her hair. 

I think what is wrote is about right - she wore the ponytail until June 25th in NJ, then 5 days later in Gottenberg, she started using the curls...

As far as I know, she didn't wear the ponytail for the European leg. I don't know what EY performance you are talking about, but maybe it could the one used for Truth Or Dare. It was shot in Paris (she played 3 concerts there, in one she said "Alright, Paris", and in another she greeted the audience with "Hello, Paris", don't know about the third one...), but they dubbed the audio during the editing of the film.

Yup these are all correct. The "Alright America" was recorded in post production for the film Truth or Dare, and to be mimed over the Paris/Italy mixed performance or Express Yourself. And once she arrived in Europe it was decided she do the curls instead for the remainder of the tour.

Here is a pic from her makeup artist, Joanne during the tour.

IMG_4498.thumb.jpg.1635ec9dab9771f1450734f115ea1841.jpg

9 hours ago, Andymad said:

The "Alright America" was recorded in post production for the film Truth or Dare, and to be mimed over the Paris/Italy mixed performance or Express Yourself. 

Are you saying that the Express Yourself scene from TOD include shots from Italy?

Never heard about that.

On 8/29/2020 at 2:29 PM, Andymad said:

I thought they had used some footage from Rome as well.... I have NO idea where I heard that though bahaha

I thought it was all shot in Paris-  it looks pretty continuous with the lighting and staging and filmed in an arena

4 hours ago, MDNA22 said:

I thought it was all shot in Paris-  it looks pretty continuous with the lighting and staging and filmed in an arena

I have no idea where I read it but I’m like 52.7% sure I read it before haha. Maybe audio? I don’t know.

i know they used multiple nights for footage anyway. The hair is different.

On 8/29/2020 at 12:36 PM, Enrico said:

Are you saying that the Express Yourself scene from TOD include shots from Italy?

Never heard about that.

The only footage you see from Rome is from the speech at Fiumicino Airport and doubt there's footage live from Rome [but might be wrong as aint seen the movie in ages] also you know they were even given free tickets to fill up the Stadium?

.... also makes that she ditched the ponytail for her European leg as beginning of July weather it's far too hot.

I thought they had used some footage from Rome as well.... I have NO idea where I heard that though bahaha

The only footage you see from Rome is from the speech at Fiumicino Airport and doubt there's footage live from Rome [but might be wrong as aint seen the movie in ages] also when she visits Vatican's St Peter's Square... 

42 minutes ago, Ryder said:

The only footage you see from Rome is from the speech at Fiumicino Airport and doubt there's footage live from Rome [but might be wrong as aint seen the movie in ages] also you know they were even given free tickets to fill up the Stadium?

This cuts like a knife.

It was my first stadium concert, I was only 16, I was supposed to go with an older friend, travelling with him.

When we went to the bank (Banca d'Italia) to buy the tickets they weren't available anymore. And we gave up :cry:

I was so unexperienced. How could I know we would find them there?

My biggest Madonna mistake!

18 minutes ago, Enrico said:

This cuts like a knife.

It was my first stadium concert, I was only 16, I was supposed to go with an older friend, travelling with him.

When we went to the bank (Banca d'Italia) to buy the tickets they weren't available anymore. And we gave up :cry:

I was so unexperienced. How could I know we would find them there?

My biggest Madonna mistake!

Tickets were the price of 2X Lp back then! :Madonna021: