How do you feel Madonna has changed Western culture?

Guest DeeperDeeper

Guest DeeperDeeper

How do you feel Madonna has changed culture in the West and in particular any moments, albums, songs, music videos etc... which have been significant. 

Unknown.jpeg.d15f5670a363caf36a1334bd34e6a2bc.jpeg

Guest DeeperDeeper

For me - 

Being a vocal HIV/AIDS activist. 

Like A Prayer video and Pepsi controversy 

Express Yourself song and video

Blond Ambition Tour 

Justify My Love song and video 

Truth or Dare documentary

Sex book 

David Letterman show appearance in 1994

Ray of Light Album

Every time she's been allegedly excommunicated from the Catholic Church

Into the Groove/Desperately Seeking Susan/The Virgin Tour - her persona and image in all of these

PaPa Don't Preach

Like A Prayer song and video

Vogue song and video

Blond Ambition Tour & Live TV Broadcasts of the show

Justify My Love song and video

The Immaculate Collection 

Truth or Dare 

Sex Book/Erotica album/Era

Ray of Light album

Confessions album and tour

Edited by MDNA22 (see edit history)

Such a great question....and I love everyone's answers so far! I think musically, she has introduced a creativity to theatrical art like no other. Yes, there have been many people to do this, but, Madonna has paved a way and a path for herself and others to do it in a more free way and to push and challenge yourself with it all and dare to be different.

I also think she's helped everyone have a voice. No matter who you are, you have a right to be that person, to speak your mind, and have an opinion.

In a very summarized way without going into detail (I'm sorry, english is not my first language):

- She normalized gay people with Express Yourself and Vogue era

- She normalized that a woman can enjoy sex (in many ways) without to be a whore in the Erotica era. 

The backlash for these was huge (really huge) and almost destroyed her career, but she breaked the rules and today is something normal. As far as I remember, she was the first to do it.

8 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

In a very summarized way without going into detail (I'm sorry, english is not my first language):

- She normalized that a woman can enjoy sex (in many ways) without to be a whore in the Erotica era. 

The backlash for these was huge (really huge) and almost destroyed her career, but she breaked the rules and today is something normal. As far as I remember, she was the first to do it.

she definitely was a big part of those cultural moments...

9 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

I believe the Like a Virgin era was the beginning of her quest to normalize sexuality in pop music. But the disco era is what may have influenced Madonna into her personal journey. Artists like Donna Summer were pioneers of sex in music 

Guest DeeperDeeper
3 hours ago, Fannumber2 said:

I believe the Like a Virgin era was the beginning of her quest to normalize sexuality in pop music. But the disco era is what may have influenced Madonna into her personal journey. Artists like Donna Summer were pioneers of sex in music 

Also Madonna released Justify My Love, Erotica and SEX during the feminist sex wars of the 90s. This was also when third wave feminism was just beginning as well. It definitely had a cultural impact. 

19 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

The first two have always been normal.

3 hours ago, professormouse said:

The first two have always been normal.

NORMALIZE: to cause (something previously considered abnormal or unacceptable) to be treated as normal.

In the 90 if you were gay, you couldn't get married. In the 90 a woman who enjoyed sex was called "whore".

Madonna played a pivotal role to change that with her music, video-clips, interviews, documentaries like "Truth or Dare", etc, etc, etc. And that behavior almost destroyed her career because the backlash against her was inhumane (especially with the book "Sex"). Being a Madonna fan from 1992 to 1998 was really tough (everyone hated her). Fortunately, she released "Ray of Light" and won a Golden Globe for Evita and the heavy blacklash ended.