Candy Shop? Not again. But how often?

stevemic

For some reason ''Candy Shop'' popped into my head just now, and my initial thought was:  why does Madonna like it so much and perform it on her tours and live so often - or does it just feel that way?  In my opinion, it's one of the weakest songs on one of her weakest albums, and doesn't warrant the exposure it gets.  For me, ''Human Nature'' is another one I roll my eyes at.

Then it got me thinking - has anyone ever compiled a list all her songs and the frequency that she has played them on tours?  It'd be a big task but I'd be interested to see the numbers.  It's obvious which ones would be at the top.  It would be great to have a list which would also include even when part-songs are performed, included in medleys or songs on backdrops and interludes. 

I'd love to see ''The Power of Good-bye'' and ''Time Stood Still'' someday played on a tour.  :Madonna014:

6 hours ago, Ekans said:

On this site you can check a lot of touring statistics, it's pretty cool! I'm not sure if interludes and part-songs are included, but still it's a nice read.

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/madonna-bd6bdbe.html

Thank you. It is just what I was looking for. I was not imagining it  - according to these stats, Candy Shop is the most played song that was never a single. 

:)

On 9/2/2020 at 8:04 PM, lap said:

I don't care very much about Candy Shop.  But I HATE Human Nature and I don't know why she thinks it was a hit and choose it so often for a tour setlist

Human Nature is a great song, I just don't think that it translates as well as a live performance. It's one of those 'shoulda stayed on the album' songs

3 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

The MDNA version is one of her best performances 

I wasn't so keen on it. She performed the song relatively decently on DWT, but the performances of it on the tours that followed were pretty much a snooze... especially on S&S .... for me anyway. It would be pretty great as an interlude track/video though

7 minutes ago, PWCCA said:

I wasn't so keen on it. She performed the song relatively decently on DWT, but the performances of it on the tours that followed were pretty much a snooze...

Hopefully she’ll finally get it right when she performs it again on the next tour ?

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I think she’s always resented the fact that it wasn’t selected as the first single from Hard Candy, and she did say during promotion for the album that the song is one of her favourite records. It’s not the best song so I won’t be sad if she doesn’t do it again, and it is such a waste of a spot on a setlist. 

Candy Shop
Vogue
Human Nature
Express Yourself
Ray of Light
Hung Up
Like A Virgin
Holiday

Those aren’t bad songs, they’re great on different levels, but they’re overplayed and over-represented and I’d rather have much better and much less represented tracks on future tours than any of these. It’s like she fixated herself on the safest choices for hits and I get that most of those are iconic, but she overexposed Candy Shop and it’s not even a single, all while ignoring wondrous tracks like Get Together, Nothing Really Matters, The Power of Goodbye, Easy Ride, Girl Gone Wild, Bad Girl, Justify My Love, Why’s It So Hard, American Pie and evening Erotica.

Yes, some of those did get tour/live performances but it’s nothing compared to how many times she did Human Nature, Candy Shop and the rest. She did Candy Shop in 3 consecutive tours plus Ellen’s show all while doing below the bare minimum for the new album tracks...