Candy Shop? Not again. But how often?

stevemic

12 hours ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

I think she’s always resented the fact that it wasn’t selected as the first single from Hard Candy, and she did say during promotion for the album that the song is one of her favourite records. It’s not the best song so I won’t be sad if she doesn’t do it again, and it is such a waste of a spot on a setlist. 

Yep. I remember her saying that at the listening party for warner that she was actually shocked that people thought 4 minutes was better than candy shop and should be the first single. Obviously nobody else did. I find it just boring except for the opening of the Sticky & Sweet Tour, I like that version. But, enough is enough. 

6 hours ago, Craigypants said:

I remember her saying that at the listening party for warner that she was actually shocked that people thought 4 minutes was better than candy shop and should be the first single. Obviously nobody else did.

I swear to God, I'd love to be inside her head sometimes. How she thought Candy Shop was better than 4 Minutes is fascinating. Absurd, but still fascinating. 

Her musical perception/taste must be so different than what we fans imagine. 

Edited by Dito (see edit history)

Candy is a basic, boring song. I dont get why shes so fascinated with it! Such a waste of tour time space, that should be used for iconic songs.

If it was up to her, candy will be the opening to all her tours followed by the over-performed human nature. Its so unfair these 2 songs get so many performances, while her best material is ignored and never performed on tours!

Wish she was as passionate with Girl gone wild, NRM, bad girl, ghosttown, papa dont preach, etc...

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 11:17 AM, steady75 said:

It never needs to be heard live again. 

EDIT: Sorry, I just realised you wrote “It never needs to be heard live again”, but I missed that pretty important distinction upon first reading :seeno: So my answer below hopefully makes more sense with that disclaimer added...

——-

Said no one.

:kissy:

Just kidding. To each their own!

I personally wouldn’t mind if she never performed Candy Shop again, especially if it meant we got a less often performed song in its place, like Cherish or Nothing Really Matters :smile:

Edited by ludowillo (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't LOVE Candy Shop but I really enjoy it everytime she sings it, the RHT one was the most fun! On the other hand, PLEASE stop trying to make Human Nature happen, it's overrated by herself... I think the MDNA performance was the best of them all, and it represents the song perfectly, any other performance is just meh.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s not that I hate Candy Shop, Human Nature, Vogue, Like A Prayer, Like A Virgin, Ray of Light, Hung Up, Express Yourself and La Isla Bonita, some of them are along my most favorite songs, but the frequency of singing them live at the expense of far better tracks, especially Human Nature, Candy Shop and Vogue is making them not enjoyable anymore, especially with how low effort her performances of these songs are becoming recently.

• 3 weeks later...

There is one factor that sometimes we forget. And that factor is Madonna's own contribution to the creation of the song. Candy Shop sounds so much like her lyrically. Sexual innuendos are what keeps her alive. She is credited with Pharrell as the sole writers and I do believe she wrote like 80 percent of it or more. 4 Minutes might have felt more synthetic at the time, like she didn't have a big inspiration for the song, just sat with other three men and went with their flow. I think this is the reason she loves it so much. I think it's her being proud that she made it. Maybe working with renowned hitmakers after a long time didn't give her the chance to be the leader with many songs, 4 Minutes included. Give it 2 me isn't that smart lyrically to be proud of anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think she has improved Candy Shop with each tour she has performed it on Rebel Heart version being the best  - the baseline was just killer so can understand why she has included it - it was actually a highlight for me of the Rebel heart tour and the best performance of the tour and I don't especially like the song lol  - it felt very Madonna and original and worked much better than Music.  I don't think we need to see another incarnation of Candy Shop though lol 

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't be surprised if she films a video from her bathroom for it and releases an EP on Friday:

1. Candy Shop (Album Version)
2. Candy Shop (12" Inch Mix)
3. Candy Shop (Tracy Young Mix)
4. Candy Shop (Offer Nissim Candy Galore Remix)
5. Candy Shop (Instrumental)
6. Candy Shop (Live From Sticky and Sweet Tour 2008)
7. The Erotic Candy Shop (Live From MDNA Tour 2012)
8. Candy Shop (Live From Rebel Heart Tour 2015/16)
9. Ain't No Big Deal

I'm a big fan of Human Nature! I've always liked the sassy-ness of this song and how she points out the hypocrisy of the critics.

As for Candy Shop, that's a whole different story. I think the lyrics are stupid and I can't believe the same woman who wrote Express Yourself and Bad Girl came up with this crap!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2020 at 3:56 AM, RinoTheBouncer said:

Candy Shop
Vogue
Human Nature
Express Yourself
Ray of Light
Hung Up
Like A Virgin
Holiday

Those aren’t bad songs, they’re great on different levels, but they’re overplayed and over-represented and I’d rather have much better and much less represented tracks on future tours than any of these. It’s like she fixated herself on the safest choices for hits and I get that most of those are iconic, but she overexposed Candy Shop and it’s not even a single, all while ignoring wondrous tracks like Get Together, Nothing Really Matters, The Power of Goodbye, Easy Ride, Girl Gone Wild, Bad Girl, Justify My Love, Why’s It So Hard, American Pie and evening Erotica.

Yes, some of those did get tour/live performances but it’s nothing compared to how many times she did Human Nature, Candy Shop and the rest. She did Candy Shop in 3 consecutive tours plus Ellen’s show all while doing below the bare minimum for the new album tracks...

+ la isla bonita

NO MORE!

As much as I'd like her to stop performing all those songs that have already been mentioned here, we need to step out of our roles as hardcore fans (who are only, like, 10% of her shows attendance?), and realize 90% of the public go to her shows *for* those songs. They're the ones who listen to her casually.

I'm not a Beyoncé hardcore fan but you bet I'd wanna hear Single Ladies and Crazy In Love on every show I'd go to.

EDIT: this being said, I hope Madame X killed the Candy Shop curse, yes.