Madonnas' success in later years

Jackie

I have become 'woke' - I always judged Madonna's success on the US Charts - and it wasn't until I objectively looked at how she performed internationally that I realized, she's done amazing even in her mid 40's and 50's!

Let's look:

Hollywood - UK - No. 2! How amazing! No. 5 in Canada, 16 here in Australia.

Love Profusion - UK - No. 11, No. 3 in Canada and 25 here in Australia.

COAD Era  - all singles did really well internationally!

Hard Candy Era - most singles did really well internationally and in the US - I mean GI2M - it got to No. 57 - not bad for a second single for her!

Celebration - No. 3 on the UK charts, No. 5 in Canada - and it charted in the US.

MDNA - that was a blip - GMAYL did well in the US but that was based on the deals at the time, but didn't fair too well internationally - and GGW was such an underrated hit!

Living for Love - despite BBC 1 not playing it, it still managed to get to No. 26 on the UK charts - not bad for a female pop star at the age of 56!

Medellin and Crave - Crave did better on the UK Charts at No. 51 - again, for a female pop start at 61 - with BBC 1 not playing her music - that's a great achievement!

I guess my point of this, is we are really narrow minded if we continue to judge her success on just America - she's doing great internationally and continues to do great internationally! I'm guilty of it - I remember during the AL ear - I was like, gosh she's not doing well in America - she's bombed. But, when I look back, she did amazing, I mean, Hollywood - No.. 2 on the UK Charts - how amazing! 

If we want her to do well in America - those fans living in America need to stream the fuck outta her - I can't remember which song it was, but a recent one, that charted, it had something like 56 million unique streams in a week! 

Peace and love!

I don't understand why sometimes she or her management try so hard to appease just the American market. She's been a global superstar for almost 40 years and the US public has always been the most unfaithful, judgmental and even downright "boycottal" of her whole career.

I mean, I get it - she's american, it's the world's stage, 300 million people, bla bla bla. But just Europe alone has 700 million, way better reception of her music and personality and after the late 2000s with piracy and especially streaming, the US kinda lost a bit of that musical monopoly. 

I kinda want her to continue the trend of global music she started with Madame X and avoid all current US genres. They don't suit her at all and she'll never be accepted there as she was before.

I think that’s where Medellin came into play as the lead single versus something more urban like Crave. But let’s be clear, any single picks could much bigger if by a younger star. That’s just it. But even then, it wouldn’t be the same and with or without auto tune, there’s nothing like M singing the songs.

Agree  American Life, Confessions and Hard Candy were really big records globally and had successful singles even if not in the US. Confessions in the UK and Europe was as loved as Ray of Light if not more so

I think the move to Interscope and their mishandling of her last 3 studio albums and single release strategy has been a major factor in her more limited chart success over the last 10 years 

Edited by MDNA22 (see edit history)

Guest DeeperDeeper
7 hours ago, MDNA22 said:

I think the move to Interscope and their mishandling of her last 3 studio albums and single release strategy has been a major factor in her more limited chart success over the last 10 years 

M should have remained with Warner. 

2 hours ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

Hopefully she’s back!

Won’t make any difference whom she is with - she isn’t relevant enough commercially and won’t be now due to her age sadly ? I’m just hoping she still has the desire to make decent music and not renting the latest young thing to duet with 

Guest Nobody Knows Me
13 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

Won’t make any difference whom she is with - she isn’t relevant enough commercially and won’t be now due to her age sadly ? I’m just hoping she still has the desire to make decent music and not renting the latest young thing to duet with 

I don’t care about commercial success. I just hope she’s back for the sake of reissues and updating her sales. 

I love this positive thread :heart:! The Interscope have been rough for Madonna fans but when we look at the bright side of things, she did great for a veteran artist over 50.

2010's Madonna recap:

- 4M albums sold (pure sales).

- $560 million touring gross.

- 10 #1s on the Billboard Dance Club Chart.

- 2016 Billboard Woman Of The Year.

- Top 10 in YouGov's Most Admired Women List.

- Super Bowl Halftime Show performance set a record with 114 million viewers (higher than the viewership of the game itself).

MDNA (2012) was the twelfth best-selling album of 2012 globally and debuted at #1 with her biggest U.S first-week sales since 2000.

- "Give Me All Your Luvin'" became Madonna's 38th Top 10 hit in the U.S and hit #1 in Canada, Finland, Hungary, and Israel while peaking within the Top 10 in several European countries.

- "Masterpiece" peaked at #1 in Russia and won the Best Original Song category at the 69th Golden Globe Awards.

- "Girl Gone Wild" reached the Top 10 in Hungary, Israel, Italy, Russia, South Africa, South Korea and Spain.

- Rebel Heart (2015) reached #1 in Australia, Canada, Germany, Italy, Spain, and Switzerland and it's eligible for a gold certification in the U.S.

- "Living for Love" reached the Top 20 in Finland, Hungary, Israel, Japan and Lebanon.

- "Ghosttown" reached the Top 20 in Hungary and it's certified platinum in Italy.

- "Bitch I'm Madonna" video has over 320 million views on YouTube.

- Madame X (2019) debuted at #1 in the U.S and it's her highest-rated album on Metacritic since 2005's Confessions On A Dance Floor.

- "Medellín" reached the Top 10 in Colombia and Venezuela and it's certified gold in Italy.

- "Crave" peaked at #11 on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart, becoming her biggest hit there since "Frozen" (1998).

- For better or for worse, she had two much talked-about performances - BRITS 2015 and Eurovision 2019.

Yeah, her current sales pale in comparision to the Warner years but keep in mind this is her fourth decade on the charts. There's a biopic rumored to be in the works, so let's hope for exciting things to come going into the 2020's.

I mean it makes perfect sense why some people would put emphasis on Madge's US chart success [or lack thereof lately] compared to her worldwide success. She's an American pop artist, and the US is the biggest music market in the world. 

Tbh though aren't we past the point where chart success should matter? I don't understand our fandom sometimes; we say things like "She's a legend, she's got nothing more to prove", but then we also say things like "I wish she was more successful on the charts". Realistically speaking, we can't have it both ways. 

It's been years the music that is n°1 in America is pure shit... America is no longer the model when it comes to good music. In the 80's, 90's and early 00's maybe but now, no way. M felt it because she almost work only with European producers since the early 00's... the only times she worked with American producers since 2000 are Timbaland, Pharell and Diplo, and imo they are her less sophisticated and less classy productions.