Sign in to follow this  
The Ghost

Madame X Promo CD Singles (Brazilian Ones)

Can someone just clarify for me that all of these Brazilian Promo's Medellin,  Crave,  I Rise etc on ebay are all fake.?   there's loads of them and they seem to be sold many many times.

My understanding is that there is an Official US Promo CD for Medellin and a set of CD's for the French market and these are suspicious too?

Thanks

The number of fan made CDs on eBay is ridiculous and yet Warner’s does fuck all about it - I bought the Tokyo 87 cd from HMV - a Well known high street retailer and tried to sell on eBay only to have it removed by the British Phonographic Society  ??? And yet it’s sold on other countries eBay sites ? Makes no sense to me - Not to mention this person who must be running out of CDs to make now as he’s just listed one for Waiting ? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143674195885

It's very sad as anyone new entering the collecting market will have no idea that half of the stuff on there is fake :(  I remember years ago you would put your account at risk for selling "Official" Warner Promos from the Confessions Era.  Now it just seems like a free for all,   every time i look at ebay the screen is just full of supposedly Brazilian promo Cds.   Not just Madonna i may add,   seems every digital promo that gets released ends up as a Brazilian promo within hours..  

Agh, I'm starting to get into collecting, what with the absence of Madonna re-releasing any her older stuff what can a person do? I wouldn't buy anything from Brazil or Russia in any case, especially when it seems to be the only country that has physical copies of her releases.

How reliable is Discogs as a way to confirm if releases are genuine or not? 

51 minutes ago, SuperBicycle said:

Agh, I'm starting to get into collecting, what with the absence of Madonna re-releasing any her older stuff what can a person do? I wouldn't buy anything from Brazil or Russia in any case, especially when it seems to be the only country that has physical copies of her releases.

Discogs is the best.

58 minutes ago, SuperBicycle said:

Discogs is the most reliable source. Most entries are official, if they aren't it will state so

5 hours ago, The Ghost said:

Can someone just clarify for me that all of these Brazilian Promo's Medellin,  Crave,  I Rise etc on ebay are all fake.?   there's loads of them and they seem to be sold many many times.

My understanding is that there is an Official US Promo CD for Medellin and a set of CD's for the French market and these are suspicious too?

Thanks

@ScottyX@The Ghost@SuperBicycle They're all fake.

Brazil labels are super lazy in terms of promotion, but they do surprise us fans sometimes with unique items. Various official 7" and 12" vinyl promos with unique covers were released between 83-90 (see a collector's picture below). Those promos were never issued on CD, but a fake "Vogue" one is on ebay. 

16177590_381489095532382_1308652428210073239_o.jpg

Some promo CDs (below) were officially issued, like "Superstar" or the 'impossible to find' 5-track "The Girlie Show" promo. The last official Brazilian promo CD - as far as I know - is GMAYL. Unfortunately some people try to get a lot of money from fans with super fake recent releases that do not exist. Personally, I don't think it's difficult to tell the difference, because no matter how they try, they ALWAYS make a mistake. Sometimes they use a slightly different font, some other times they have poor text construction or mispelled words. But the most obvious (and funny) thing is to see on ebay stuff that we never saw, see or will see anywhere in Brazil.

23509030_514684615546162_209847965204467059_o.jpg

Brazil like Russia are countries with a convoluted legal system particularly the judicial review and copyright protection.

Companies like Warner won't spend millions in chasing counterfeits because it creates more cost that results. And when they are down with one it will come up somehwere else. SImilar to chinese counterfeit, every other ad you see in IG is gonna be some chinese counterfeit.

Discogs are pretty good at blocking fakes and counterfeit.

1 hour ago, EgoRod said:

Brazil like Russia are countries with a convoluted legal system particularly the judicial review and copyright protection.

Companies like Warner won't spend millions in chasing counterfeits because it creates more cost that results. And when they are down with one it will come up somehwere else. SImilar to chinese counterfeit, every other ad you see in IG is gonna be some chinese counterfeit.

Discogs are pretty good at blocking fakes and counterfeit.

Yeah but the thing is a lot of these supposedly Brazilian CD's are home made in the UK/Europe and people are making a lot of money :(   I've never liked bootlegs of any description maybe people buy them knowing there are fake.

4 minutes ago, The Ghost said:

Yeah but the thing is a lot of these supposedly Brazilian CD's are home made in the UK/Europe and people are making a lot of money :(   I've never liked bootlegs of any description maybe people buy them knowing there are fake.

We live in a capitalist system so people need money hence are gonna try to make money, that's unavoidable.

I always do my research of anything I buy online, whatever it is. I check for reviews and where else is available etc.

Some people like to buy fake items because they want to have a physical item, I don't know.

I personally like to purchase goods with some quality control over them. And fake is one of the steps that might miss on.

When it comes to records I get them via discog and if I find it in Ebay I'll look in discogs first.

21 hours ago, lap said:

The promo CDs are only the ones listed on discogs. The others from other countries are bootlegs, including Madame X Russia with 18 tracks. By the way, they look beautiful. 

I'm not sure about this 18 track Russian one as it's actually Made In Germany for the Netherlands market. Also the matrix has the Universal Logo which cannot be reproduces on the fake replicas. I can't compare this 'Russian' [it has nothing regarding Russian on it] as all my other Madame X [HMV,Target,etc] are still sealed...but I did compared the inlays and scans off Mrecords and Mdiscography.

The matrix grooves and other infos on the mirrored ring suggests to me [and that is my view and opinion] that could be genuine. Even though the booklet aint as much pix as the original commercial cd I find the pics and definition are quite rich and glossy and not the usual poor quality everything we seen in the past previous albums. Go figure huh?

On 9/5/2020 at 8:31 PM, wtg1987 said:

The number of fan made CDs on eBay is ridiculous and yet Warner’s does fuck all about it - I bought the Tokyo 87 cd from HMV - a Well known high street retailer and tried to sell on eBay only to have it removed by the British Phonographic Society  ??? And yet it’s sold on other countries eBay sites ? Makes no sense to me - Not to mention this person who must be running out of CDs to make now as he’s just listed one for Waiting ? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143674195885

I'd love to see this Tokyo 87 Cd... have a pic handy pls?