Are Madonna's Videos Still Submitted to VMAs?

Arckangel

Are Madonna's videos still submitted to the VMAs? When was she last nominated? Isn't her management or record label in charge of handling those submissions? Are her new singles and albums still submitted to award shows? If her work is still submitted but no longer nominated, then yes, it is pure ageism (and maybe also sexism).

So much talk about racism, transphobia, homophobia and so on, and that's great, but why is ageism totally accepted? The quality of Madonna's work is still on top pro level, regardless of the fact a number of fans prefer previous material. Music videos for Dark Ballet and God Control, those two short films, have great artistic merit. Crave is a jewel (Mo looks quite young in it, by the way), Medellín is a stunner, Batuka is heartfelt, I Rise has a great social message... None had enough merit for MTV?

I understand MTV may want to give younger or newer artist a chance, so maybe they should create a specific category for older acts... It'd look ageist, but at least older acts would get nominated, receive awards and be called to participate and perform more often.

Edited by Arckangel (see edit history)

It's mostly a show and be awarded/or be snubbed affair. I don't think she really needs that show anymore despite having launched it with other big acts. It's literally declined to the point of the Kids Choice Awards with the winners being so predictable and usually ones who are on a huge payola streak. It also stuns me the fact none of Britney's videos ever won a VMA but they awarded her pity awards for Piece of Me. 

Advertisers and sponsors have a big part (like in everything) on here.

You need acts that are creating money and traffic, those that are gonna attract at the only people who currently could be interested about watching this awards. A young following.

If you don't bring current profitable acts, investors/advertisers won't be part of it.

Rather than ageism is a target audience.

On the same way that you won't have whoever teen Tik-toker that's hot at the moment at the Oscars.

I personally think MTV is done 20 years ago. And any professional artist that's have legacy can't bother to give themselves to it anymore.

Money and promotion are always involved in all these big award shows. Nothing to do with quality or value. (How do you choose the best artist/video/song of the year, anyway?)

For instance, Grammy Awards ignored Madonna for years. Madonna was a superseller on her own in the 80s without needing big awards, so I guess Warner just didn't consider pushing for it.

Usually you can tell who's gonna be the big winner of the VMAs or EMAs by looking who's attending and performing that night. Who's making the effort to give MTV something back.

Dua Lipa is one of the biggest female performers of 2019/2020 (if not the 1st) but she wasn't even nominated in the VMAs this year cause she wasn't going to perform or attend/record anything for them. Lady Gaga did and won the most important awards.

Britney going for zero awards for years to Video Of The Year in 2008 with "Piece Of Me" (when her team built her big comeback all around the VMAs that year) is another classic example of this.

13 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

At this point they probably think why bother seeing as she’s ignored by radio - MTV is only interested in the crap churned out by drake , Beyoncé , Taylor , Gaga , Ariana and the like ? even if the videos are good or bad 

I wouldn't put Gaga in that category since the VMAs snubbed her for 8 years straight between 2011 and 2019 despite all the videos she released during that time. 

Anyway I don't know for sure how the VMAs work, but I had assumed that the VMA's higher ups pick popular videos without there being any kind of submission process from labels or artists. I do suspect that money exchanges hands behind the scenes sometimes, though. 

Any award show now is completely irrelevant because of the lack of star power,VMA's included. While I was thrilled for Gaga's big night this past VMA's,I think overall the current musical landscape is quite pitiful. Every song sounds exactly the same,every singer sounds exactly the same with a slightly different vocal style (I keep forgetting Selena Gomez still releases music because her voice blends into every other female artist on the scene now). It's become a popularity and beauty contest rather than an actual showcase of talent like it used to be in the early days of award shows. I couldn't imagine M's team bothering to waste their time putting anything up for submission now unless she was a shoe-in for the award.

I'm not sure if this is still the process or not, but in the past, record companies/artists had to submit videos for consideration for the VMA's (just like they do for the Grammys).  Back in 1995 when Warners were deciding what to submit for consideration that year, they chose "Take A Bow" and "Human Nature" ("Bedtime Story" wasn't submitted because, at the time, they thought "Human Nature" was going to be a bigger hit and, therefore, more likely to be nominated).   

On 9/23/2020 at 1:41 AM, PatrickSamuel said:

"I Rise" did not have a video, it's a visualiser for the track. 

It's still a video, an official one. Granted, it's a montage, but it's still an official Madonna/Time Magazine release, and it's well-done, impactful. It probably works better than a typical video would have.

On 9/22/2020 at 8:29 PM, Carta said:

I'm not sure if this is still the process or not, but in the past, record companies/artists had to submit videos for consideration for the VMA's (just like they do for the Grammys).  Back in 1995 when Warners were deciding what to submit for consideration that year, they chose "Take A Bow" and "Human Nature" ("Bedtime Story" wasn't submitted because, at the time, they thought "Human Nature" was going to be a bigger hit and, therefore, more likely to be nominated).   

Thx for the confirmation. It's sad Interscope did not really push for her.

21 hours ago, Arckangel said:

It's still a video, an official one. Granted, it's a montage, but it's still an official Madonna/Time Magazine release, and it's well-done, impactful. It probably works better than a typical video would have.

Ah, you mean that one! I had forgotten about that, the one that was on my mind was the looped b/w one, the visualiser. Probably then.