Madonna sampled: have you heard all of these?

PlayPause

I just switched to Apple Music, and I'm finding it far better than the other services. Their playlists are very well curated. The videos are mostly HQ.

So I found (effortlessly, should I add) this "Madonna: sampled" playlist. ("Sampled" isn't completely relevant, some tracks "only" use melodies from M songs, which isn't literally how sampling works, but you get the idea.)

The Holiday sample on the Avalanches track is pretty obvious, but I'm not sure about the Lucky Star sample on the last track, by Washed Out (great band, check it out). Is it the rhythm pattern, slowed down?

81.67.151.238-5f662a4223e64.jpg

https://music.apple.com/fr/playlist/madonna-samplé/pl.c7df3866cec44ff6b4970728bb9772f2

Funny they put Pure Shores on the list (absolutely no sample here), given that "Madonna was reportedly livid when producer William Orbit gave this futuristic dream-pop to the UK girl band and not her. Madge was right."

(according to music writer Cameron Adamshttps://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/cameron-adams-judges-the-hits-and-misses-of-the-last-decade-do-you-agree/news-story/c1b57620610608b76fd206cef52b390c)

54 minutes ago, discohub said:

Funny they put Pure Shores on the list (absolutely no sample here), given that "Madonna was reportedly livid when producer William Orbit gave this futuristic dream-pop to the UK girl band and not her. Madge was right."

(according to music writer Cameron Adamshttps://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/cameron-adams-judges-the-hits-and-misses-of-the-last-decade-do-you-agree/news-story/c1b57620610608b76fd206cef52b390c)

As far as i remember Madonna was livid because it sounded too much like the records Orbit & her did together not because she wanted the track for herself.

My favourite Madonna sampled track is The Greatest Hit by Annie. It sampled Everybody.

3 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

As far as i remember Madonna was livid because it sounded too much like the records Orbit & her did together not because she wanted the track for herself.

My favourite Madonna sampled track is The Greatest Hit by Annie. It sampled Everybody.

The whole album's really good too

2 hours ago, discohub said:

Classic ❤️

Both tracks were out around same time... Remember on the William/Orbit Promo Disc Set we have on CD2 -                      

6. Madonna: Ray of Light (Instrumental) 4.00.                                                                                                                                     and  

7. All Saints: Pure Shores (Instrumental) 3.22

And Enigma use the lifted  beats from Justify my Love for his remix of Principles of Lust, the single came out at the same time so it was right.

The original beat is from Public Enemy's 'Security of the first World" that it was a loop from James Brown' Funky drummer.

And its been used to death forever.

But in this particular case Justify my Love has been credited as the sample and few other elements of the song too.

Omg! I LOOOVE Washed Out. How did I not hear it before?! I love them even more now! I discovered him on a whim and I’ve been obsessed ever since. My step mom is a fan of the show Portlandia and I was so happy to hear the theme song was one of his hits, Feel It All Around. It’s not really a band but rather one guy, Ernest Greene, who I’m assuming hires different musicians when he performs. I could totally be wrong though. He’s a musical genius and I’d would be over the moon if M worked with him. His music sounds like a photo of Brooklyn with an instagram filter over it feigning nostalgia. It’d be great as she’s working on a biopic where she’s looking back on her life.

Every single one of his albums is great start to finish. My favorite album is Paracosm with ‘All I Know’ being the best track in my opinion. Many fans weren’t into Mister Mellow and I can see why. His music is typically very Light synth/chill wave and it felt more....involved (?) as a listener.  His first album, Life of Leisure, is only 17 minutes long (You’ll Find It...fucking ace track ?) so I would listen to it every day to and from work. If you haven’t listened to Washed Out, do yourself a favor and take an entire day off to listen to his discography over and over. The new album Purple Noon is magical.

Ok, sorry for the love letter. But Washed Out holds a very special place in my heart. It’s the music my husband and I listened to over and over when we first met living in Brooklyn.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 2:00 PM, Ryder said:

Both tracks were out around same time... Remember on the William/Orbit Promo Disc Set we have on CD2 -                      

6. Madonna: Ray of Light (Instrumental) 4.00.                                                                                                                                     and  

7. All Saints: Pure Shores (Instrumental) 3.22

I read somewhere that Madonna got "mad" at William that he gave All Saints Pure Shores....

10 minutes ago, realityisalways said:

Sorry I meant Perfect Illusion, Gaga has so many forgotten flop songs that I get them mixed up.

tumblr_od9f78m6bT1r90m4vo2_1280.png

I dunno, I don't really hear any similarities. But speaking of Papa Don't Preach: the string arrangement at the beginning of Gwen Stefani's Harajuku Girls sounds very reminiscent of the string arrangement at the start of PDP, and for a long time I thought that Harajuku Girls sampled it.