Madonna on Rolling Stone's 500 Best Albums

JimMarq Radenhausen

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-albums-of-all-time-1062063/

M has three entries, one less than she had on the initial RS list from 2003 (it was later updated in 2012).

Like a Prayer is lower than the initial list (331 vs. 237), though The Immaculate Collection and Ray of Light make nice jumps; they were ranked 278 and 363, respectively, on the 2003 list.

Doing a quick scan, looks like the Beatles has the most entries (nine), followed by Bob Dylan (8; includes an album with The Band); Rolling Stones, Neil Young and Kanye West follow, with six each, with Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie and Led Zeppelin at five each. Among others with multiple entries, Stevie Wonder, Prince and The Who have four.

Among females, Aretha Franklin and Joni Mitchell look to have the most (4), with the following scoring three each: Madonna, Janet Jackson and Fiona Apple.

Note: Beyoncé has two solo albums, and one with Destiny's Child. No surprise that her self-titled set and Lemonade were top 100- not necessarily my favorites, though they were very well-received.

Edited by JimMarq Radenhausen (see edit history)

Ugh......the world (except us) seems to have something against M. She has made much better music than Bey and Swift could make even on their best days. When I want good music, I don't put a Taylor Swift CD on! (I like her though). Our queen deserves better!

#justiceformadonnascareer

I mean the fact that Madge got 3 entries is impressive, although I personally would've replaced TIC with something else like True Blue or Erotica since I don't think greatest hits/compilation albums should count. 

Not quite happy with RS's blatant Beyonce and Taylor Swift stanning, though. 

^Plus, as noted, two of the three entries fared better this time out than prior. And, that just two females have more entries than her (and it's only one more entry).

TIC probably remains my "desert-island" album- that's how strong and defining it is.

Edited by JimMarq Radenhausen (see edit history)

We're actually taking all of these lists seriously when the people who wrote them probably haven't even owned a music history degree or a journalist badge for several decades? These people writing these articles and compiling these lists most likely have never listened to all 500 of these albums (other than the ones by Bey and Taylor obviously) and are just writing bullshit to fill space. Any of these newer revisions of "____ greatest _____ in music history" are absolutely redundant because they're written by complete imbeciles who have never truly studied every facet of music history or even popular music history in general. Fuck all of these articles. They're irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Diamonds & Pearls said:

We're actually taking all of these lists seriously when the people who wrote them probably haven't even owned a music history degree or a journalist badge for several decades? These people writing these articles and compiling these lists most likely have never listened to all 500 of these albums (other than the ones by Bey and Taylor obviously) and are just writing bullshit to fill space. Any of these newer revisions of "____ greatest _____ in music history" are absolutely redundant because they're written by complete imbeciles who have never truly studied every facet of music history or even popular music history in general. Fuck all of these articles. They're irrelevant.

Did you not read the preface? It was an update of the 2012 list. There’s 154 new additions. More or less, the list pretty much stayed the same.

And a lot of these writers do have legit careers in writing, some previously having worked at Billboard, NME, and Spin, and some having been long time contributors at Rolling Stone. 

12 hours ago, deathproof said:

Did you not read the preface? It was an update of the 2012 list. There’s 154 new additions. More or less, the list pretty much stayed the same.

And a lot of these writers do have legit careers in writing, some previously having worked at Billboard, NME, and Spin, and some having been long time contributors at Rolling Stone. 

I agree. We shouldn’t get toxic over this. 500 albums versus how many have been produced? Madonna would be on the list regardless for something but not her whole dang catalog we covet. However, I do think True Blue and Erotica should have made the list even if lower. I’d honeslty have put Erotica or Ray of Light in that top ten. But I haven’t looked at what we’re the top ten yet.

There are lots of people in different fields voting for it:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/voters-500-greatest-albums-list-1062225/

And they considered sales, media, etc of the past years.

For that reason you will see Taylor and Beyonce there.

I personally I'm bored of the bloody Beatles every single time.The modern canons are so far away from those on more than 20-25 years ago.

And you can't put on the same account the Beatles' White Album with Lady Gaga's Born this way..they had different impacts and places on musical history.

I think the music of the last 15 years has been treated based on popular response and sales, streams etc but anything more classic it's based on the 'legacy'of the album.

Sadly the people that choose the legacy albums from more than 20 years ago are the same bunch of white, straight men.

It's all Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Beatles, Lou reed and so on.

Really good article here:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/aug/29/why-the-old-pop-music-canon-is-finished-greatest-albums-digital-age

7 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

I don’t consider any albums of the last 15 years to be considered classics or Will be remembered with such joy as albums from the 60s yo 90s but that’s just my opinion- I feel like music buyers now are so fickle anyway with short attention spans 

I don't believe it has to do with buyers attention span but with the amount of continuos stimuli and sensory inputs everyone is exposed these days.

The new generations grew up with 4 screens flashing at the same time and a non stop flow of visuals, sounds and attention seeking calls. It's hard to keep your attention into one point.