Mariah mentions Madonna in her new book

booyakasha

Guest Nobody Knows Me

This is interesting to read, and it’s nice that the two seem to be on good terms now. There still seems to be a few fans that continue the narrative that they don’t get on. 

1 hour ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

This is interesting to read, and it’s nice that the two seem to be on good terms now. There still seems to be a few fans that continue the narrative that they don’t get on. 

Yeah, they seem to have pretty much buried the hatchet. Which is great, because they're both supremely talented and far better than petty arguments.

I think fan wars are stupid especially when they go to the head of the said singers. Madonna doing BTW during MDNA was a real faux pas. Who better than Madonna, Mariah and Gaga can understand better what they go through and live ? They could be the best support they could have. Gaga pretty much fucked up the relation when she wanted to stir away from Madonna and started not mentionning her as an inspiration after BTW. It's funny to read that Seymour Stein had Mariah's demo first meaning what all people who saw Glitter guessed right, Mariah knows Madonna's history and appropriated it in the movie.

6 minutes ago, madgefan said:

Couldn't it be one of the few Madonna mentions throughout the book? I mean, Madonna was possibly the biggest pop star in the world when Mariah started out. And the mere mention of "the age"... sounds sneaky to me.

Mariah has never been close friends with Madonna so I don’t see why she would discuss her extensively in the book. I assume she would primarily discuss her close friends, people she dated or people she worked with. 

They are like chalk and cheese and obviously dont drift in the same worlds as each other hence why they dont talk about each other very often apart from the catty comments in the mid-90s they made to each other which is history now. Im team Madonna all the way anyway but ive ordered MC new rarities album which includes a blu-ray of her daydream tour - its a japan only release of course ! :(

"I could emulate the popular Madonna studio technique, but with my voice alone".
Slightly shady, isn't it? But quite light for Mariah standards LOL.

Although Madonna was "competing" for the charts with her in the 90's, particularly in 94/96, the rivalry was always a fan thing more than anything. Mariah's true "competitors" were Big voiced Divas as Celine Dion and Whitney Houston. Mariah was never a pop diva as Lauper, Janet Jackson or Grace Jones whom were all much more compared and put against Madonna.

The thing is Rosie and Mariah and Debi Mazar and Mariah have been friendly over the years. So they sort of travelled in the same circles. Considering the horrible childhood Mariah had, and Madonna losing her mother. The two could have been friendly, had Madonna not been so judgemental back then.

Mariah did like Madonna until Madonna made those "I'd kill myself" comments when asked what she would do if she were Mariah. 

If you read through the 1993 letter that leaked where she trashed Whitney and Sharon Stone and the 1996 Evita Diaries, you get the sense Madonna was in a bitter mood post Erotica until her daughter was born. 

If there was ever tension between them, it was as a result of Madonna's comments and Mariah biting back with "I used to like her in 8th grade when she was popular"

That was it. It is unfortunate, as both are intelligent and talented women who had tough lives. That could've bonded them, but petty stupid stuff got in the way. I always found it odd that Madonna disliked Whitney and Mariah for doing commercial tripe with no meaning and not taking risks. But she Loooooved Liza Minnelli??????? I mean I love Liza too, but I also love Whitney and Mariah. What's the difference Madonna??? 

1 hour ago, me1981 said:

The thing is Rosie and Mariah and Debi Mazar and Mariah have been friendly over the years. So they sort of travelled in the same circles. Considering the horrible childhood Mariah had, and Madonna losing her mother. The two could have been friendly, had Madonna not been so judgemental back then.

Mariah did like Madonna until Madonna made those "I'd kill myself" comments when asked what she would do if she were Mariah. 

If you read through the 1993 letter that leaked where she trashed Whitney and Sharon Stone and the 1996 Evita Diaries, you get the sense Madonna was in a bitter mood post Erotica until her daughter was born. 

If there was ever tension between them, it was as a result of Madonna's comments and Mariah biting back with "I used to like her in 8th grade when she was popular"

That was it. It is unfortunate, as both are intelligent and talented women who had tough lives. That could've bonded them, but petty stupid stuff got in the way. I always found it odd that Madonna disliked Whitney and Mariah for doing commercial tripe with no meaning and not taking risks. But she Loooooved Liza Minnelli??????? I mean I love Liza too, but I also love Whitney and Mariah. What's the difference Madonna??? 

That’s my least favorite thing about Madonna, her snarky tongue at times when she shoulda said something graceful and dismissive (i.e. that “reductive” comment totally backfired IMO)... she should rise above, that’s what she preaches in her songs anyway. 

12 hours ago, Shoful said:

Have you seen the shade she threw at Jlo again?

The book is about "the meaning of Mariah Carey". As Mariah said herself, "if you're not in the book, you didn't contribute to the meaning of Mariah Carey". Madonna and Mariah ran in COMPLETELY different circles to each other, so there would be no reason for her to shade/talk about Madonna extensively, since she didn't contribute to Mariah's career.

The J-Lo shade stems from much deeper issues than just petty cattiness. J-Lo was quite literally created by Tommy Mottola to spite Mariah and steal her songs.

15 minutes ago, heartcore said:

The book is about "the meaning of Mariah Carey". As Mariah said herself, "if you're not in the book, you didn't contribute to the meaning of Mariah Carey". Madonna and Mariah ran in COMPLETELY different circles to each other, so there would be no reason for her to shade/talk about Madonna extensively, since she didn't contribute to Mariah's career.

The J-Lo shade stems from much deeper issues than just petty cattiness. J-Lo was quite literally created by Tommy Mottola to spite Mariah and steal her songs.

Yeah the Madonna/Mariah thing was a blip. JLo was something else entirely. It wasn't just spite Mariah and steal her songs. It was destroy her career and ruin her. I think he wanted Mariah to know she couldn't exist without him, that without him she was nothing, that anyone could be her, he made her, he'll break her and remake JLo in her image.

He literally had corporate spies all over the place, he was obssessed with her. 

The guy has severe emotional issues and judging by the interview Mariah did with Oprah and how much of the book I have gotten through, she is still suffering mentally as a result of him and her family. 

57 minutes ago, heartcore said:

That's true but I don't think that's J-lo's fault or that he ever deserved any beef from Mariah. Also, I'm sorry but Mariah's comment about that she could "emulate the popular Madonna studio technique, but with my voice alone" is a passive aggressive dig at Madonna. She is essentially saying that Madonna's sound is studio created. I get that she's being honest and I appreciate where she's coming from but let's not sugar coat the reality of the comment. It is not favourable toward Madonna. And let's be frank, Mariah can't even emulate her own studio technique anymore. People in glass houses.

2 hours ago, madaboutM said:

That’s my least favorite thing about Madonna, her snarky tongue at times when she shoulda said something graceful and dismissive (i.e. that “reductive” comment totally backfired IMO)... she should rise above, that’s what she preaches in her songs anyway. 

I agree but I think Madonna did all that for publicity. She knew it would get everyone talking. It would have been nicer if she'd spoken to Gaga about it, considering Gaga had a drug problem and mental health issues and as we saw in her doco she was deeply effected by Madonna's comments.