Jump to content

Mariah mentions Madonna in her new book


booyakasha
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

I haven’t read the book, but from what I heard it seems to focus more on her dysfunctional upbringing with her family than after she became famous 

Not true, the first section is about her awful childhood, the middle section is about her abusive marriage to Tommy Mottola once she was famous, and the third section deals with her comeback/return to glory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, heartcore said:

Not true, the first section is about her awful childhood, the middle section is about her abusive marriage to Tommy Mottola once she was famous, and the third section deals with her comeback/return to glory.

Which comeback/return to glory? Emancipation? Or her recent commercial for the potato chips?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, heartcore said:

Not true, the first section is about her awful childhood, the middle section is about her abusive marriage to Tommy Mottola once she was famous, and the third section deals with her comeback/return to glory.

So it’s the typical celebrity memoir where they go through all these struggles and dramas and have a big comeback? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eh. I expected more considering their feud, which if I remember correctly was started by Madge when she made that rather tasteless joke about killing herself if she were Mariah Carey. It was just Madge's dark sense of humor of course, but I can see why Mariah was rather cold towards her in the years that followed.

I've seen other excerpts from the book and Mariah subtly shades Celine Dion and Jennifer Lopez, so I expected her to say bad things about Madge as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm loving the book actually. It's very well-written, often funny and super dead-pan, heartbreaking too. It doesn't seem contrived and gives a lot of insight into her music and stories behind certain songs. I didn't think the Madonna mention was a negative, never registered as such when reading. I thought what it was referring to was Madonna's "Minnie Mouse on helium" voice as it was often referred to in her early days, and I can imagine there were plenty of producers who tried to emulated that sound (as it happens with anything that becomes successful). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Nahual said:

Eh. I expected more considering their feud, which if I remember correctly was started by Madge when she made that rather tasteless joke about killing herself if she were Mariah Carey. It was just Madge's dark sense of humor of course, but I can see why Mariah was rather cold towards her in the years that followed.

I've seen other excerpts from the book and Mariah subtly shades Celine Dion and Jennifer Lopez, so I expected her to say bad things about Madge as well. 

Mariah herself end up fighting to shake it off (sorry LOL) that safe, all covered, kept girl image so maybe later she undertood the root of Madonna's comment. Also, Mariah went through a backlash later ir her career so maybe she reflected what Madonna was going through that period.

Madonna was rude nonetheless, a shame she end up bashing women when she should be mad at what was behind all of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kesiak said:

I'm loving the book actually. It's very well-written, often funny and super dead-pan, heartbreaking too. It doesn't seem contrived and gives a lot of insight into her music and stories behind certain songs. I didn't think the Madonna mention was a negative, never registered as such when reading. I thought what it was referring to was Madonna's "Minnie Mouse on helium" voice as it was often referred to in her early days, and I can imagine there were plenty of producers who tried to emulated that sound (as it happens with anything that becomes successful). 

The audiobook is amazing.  Hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time, while a lot of these facts were known, there are still plenty of revelations, insight into her songwriting process and lyrics, and fascinating anecdotes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Yes, I’m going to read this book. I love Mariah!

But of course she’s shady. Madonna has been shady too. They are human beings afterall. The people that act like they are always nice and kind are usually fake.

It's definitely one of the juiciest reads/listens I've had in a while.  I'd love to listen to Madonna speak about her experiences in her own words for 11 1/2 hours like this, but I guess a screenplay/biopic is all we're going to get.  You realize how much gets edited out for film when you really listen to how long it takes to tell everything firsthand.

Anyway, among some grim revelations when people thought she was having a Glitter meltdown... part of it was also because of her mother's habit of calling the police on her non-white children, even her son (who is a drug addict with a criminal history and being accused of a hit man among other things) the one time Mariah invited the whole family to Aspen for Christmas, invoking white privilege instead of meting out discipline herself.  Makes Madonna's family sound positively sedate in comparison no matter what they might have done to themselves in their own lives!

What's interesting is how much of these details made it into the song lyrics that we're only aware of now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, stfan97 said:

It's definitely one of the juiciest reads/listens I've had in a while.  I'd love to listen to Madonna speak about her experiences in her own words for 11 1/2 hours like this, but I guess a screenplay/biopic is all we're going to get.  You realize how much gets edited out for film when you really listen to how long it takes to tell everything firsthand.

Anyway, among some grim revelations when people thought she was having a Glitter meltdown... part of it was also because of her mother's habit of calling the police on her non-white children, even her son (who is a drug addict with a criminal history and being accused of a hit man among other things) the one time Mariah invited the whole family to Aspen for Christmas, invoking white privilege instead of meting out discipline herself.  Makes Madonna's family sound positively sedate in comparison no matter what they might have done to themselves in their own lives!

What's interesting is how much of these details made it into the song lyrics that we're only aware of now.

I still have hope that even with the biopic - we will someday get an autobiography by M. I mean she is still going strong - just on a "break" right now of sorts. But she still has a few years left in her I hope anyway so it wouldn't be crazy for her to write a book somewhere in the future. I am sure the biopic will hardly touch EVERYTHING she has been thru & it will probably also only cover a limited time frame too. I would LOVE more than anything for M to sit & discuss each of her songs, album by album, reflecting on memories of their writings &/or recordings - how they evolved - how she feels about them now etc.... THAT would be more interesting to me than a true autobiography but I am rooting for BOTH lol!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I think she could do an autobiography one day. She said in her Reddit Q&A that she has thought about doing it, and doing both a biopic and memoir wouldn’t be that unusual. Elton John just did it I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing is Madonna barely seems to remember her own songs or lyrics, never mind anything in depth about them.  I'm just not sure she has the self-confidence or interest in discussing the songwriting process to share that with us though the music and songwriting is what is most interesting to me to hear or read about.

Mariah's memoirs are super interesting to me as a fan because all of the stories tie back to how they shaped who she is today and each chapter ties back to her song lyrics also.  I don't really care about the day to day details of growing up in itself.  Everyone knows those stories.

The other thing is despite her rough childhood and family life, Mariah is super lucky to have an amicable divorce and civil relationship with her children's father.  Given the constant war waged by Guy on Madonna, I'm not sure she'll ever feel comfortable enough to go there past ROL.  Which is also why I fully expect any biopic to be very sanitized and a vanity project with her directing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

I think she could do an autobiography one day. She said in her Reddit Q&A that she has thought about doing it, and doing both a biopic and memoir wouldn’t be that unusual. Elton John just did it I think.

Yeah he did. Except Elton did not direct his movie so I think it’s possible she will not have time/interest to do both.

Although as a fan I would have preferred a book first I can see how a movie would be more beneficial to her legacy. So it’s a wise move to do that sooner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Which comeback/return to glory? Emancipation? Or her recent commercial for the potato chips?

Commercially, it's Emancipation, obviously. Personally and emotionall, it's the birth of her children.

13 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

So it’s the typical celebrity memoir where they go through all these struggles and dramas and have a big comeback? 

No, she actually details that she is still struggling a lot with her own biraciality and trauma from her past. This memoir was actually penned by her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think what she said about Madonna's voice is shady at all. She just meant Madonna's voice sound was popular in the  80s and there were tons of wannabe trying to do the high pitch voice style Madonna did on her first two records, and Mariah is 10 years younger than Madonna so she HAD a natural high pitch voice. That's it. I love Mariah and I was scared about her comments on Madonna since, let's face it, Madonna was VERY RUDE to her in the 1995 NME Interview and I believe also another interview. But she was very classy in the book. She shades JLO again but everybody knew they whole "I don't know her" reason, it's Jennifer that acts like she have no idea what was going on. 

She book is SO GOOD, i love it. She's doing everything right, the whole promotion, The Rarities Album, and MC30 stuff. Wish Madonna would do something similar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Write here...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...