Madonna song you cried to?

novistarter

14 hours ago, R3B3LH3ART said:

Promise to try and oh father

oh father because my dad (before he left) was really abusive and manipulative

The same but not my father, my ex, the lyrics 'i got away from you, i never thought i would'. i listened to it one night on the way home form work. I felt free and i just cried. 

2 hours ago, Fateseeker said:

The same but not my father, my ex, the lyrics 'i got away from you, i never thought i would'. i listened to it one night on the way home form work. I felt free and i just cried. 

Exactly. For years I longed to get away from his racism, homophobia, hate, etc. I thought about killing myself, running away after high school, etc, just to escape. When he finally left it was like weight off my shoulders. I finally can grow my hair out without him calling me gay. I can listen to Madonna, Gaga, pop music in general without being called gay. That "I got away from you" line is what broke me down. 

For me it's Joan of Arc. It feels so personal and we all know how the press have attacked her over the years. "I can't be a superhero right now" kills me every time

And strangely, Papa Don't Preach. Not sure why the but orchestral part at the beginning makes me well up. Kind of sad and exhilarating at the same time

Edited by Quack (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, R3B3LH3ART said:

Exactly. For years I longed to get away from his racism, homophobia, hate, etc. I thought about killing myself, running away after high school, etc, just to escape. When he finally left it was like weight off my shoulders. I finally can grow my hair out without him calling me gay. I can listen to Madonna, Gaga, pop music in general without being called gay. That "I got away from you" line is what broke me down. 

it's experience that makes you strong :hug:

My three songs when i cry hugely:

Oh Father: This song definitived me for my relation with my father. I cry a lot when i listen this song. This song was a gift in my life and also very close with my feelings. One of her songs then i was very close to my head and my heart.

Promise to Try: A incredible song and i always cry in this song when i sing the lyrics of the song. A masterpiece.

In This Life: depist i didn't like so well the album Erotica, this song marked me because of this message of the song. THis song talk about the dead of her friends of AIDS. A poem was recited at the end of the song, address to all the peoples to lost a friend to AIDS or many diasease. THe poem at the end was very sad and very a sad reality.

Edited by William Côté-Deblois (see edit history)

Oh Father: When I was a kid it sounded to me like she was crying in it, which made me cry myself.

Something to Remember: My parents split in 1990, and my mother used to play this over and over again, which naturally broke my heart.

I'll Remember: In 1994 my father was diagnosed with cancer, and I thought I was going to lose him at this time. Everything turned out ok luckily.

You'll see: The song came when I had my very first intense romantic heartbreak. I found it so emotional yet inspiring at the same time.

The power of Good-bye: So I wasn't over my heartbreak yet, and this song made me realize I had to say goodbye... for good.

Time Stood Still: The lush music in this song just kills me, plus the way she sings it. It was also at a time in my life where I was finally a full adult and chasing my dreams. Intense time in my life.

Gone: The music in this song and the way she sings it, just gutted me the first time I heard it. Those harmonies!!

Intervention: The sweet sentimental lyrics, and that guitar solo!! I was done. Even the outro gets me.

Erotica (Confessions tour mix): I found it so beautiful. Mixing the demo lyrics in the song and so dreamy sounding. It was a surprise to me when I first heard it live. Sensual and intensely emotional at the same time. Reminiscent, new and incredible to me all at once. 

Ghosttown: This song literally had me in tears I think the first dozen times I heard it. Beautiful song, message and her lower register which I hadn't heard in a while. Should have been a #1 hit worldwide.

Edited by jtrover
Spelling (see edit history)

On 10/3/2020 at 7:57 AM, mdnafrance said:

Even if I didn't cry for it, the first time I heard Rebelheart (song) was quite moving. I guess because she remembers different stages of her career and it seems a bit nostalgic.

I forgot: Extreme Occident! As for Rebelheart, it's so moving when she sings about her past. And the rythm that changes twice in this song, had goosebumps the first time I heard it (and of course the portugese section adds some magic to it). When she performed it in Lisbon I was especially touched

Nothing Fails

The Power of Goodbye

Masterpiece: I cried because I saw Madonna for the very first time at the MDNA Tour and I was a fan since I was 7 back in 1998, she held my hand during Open Your Heart, she literally walked towards me pointing at me saying “I think that you’re afraid to look in my eyes. You look a little sad boy I wonder why” and held my hand for a few seconds. From then on, it’s like a blacked out and only snapped out of it during masterpiece and I couldn’t stop crying.

God Control: because a long portion of my life was in my home country of Iraq, then Jordan, I often missed out on going to the store on launch day to get albums, and relied on online shopping and digital music until I get the physical copy by mail. With Madame X, I was in LA, I went to target exactly at 8:50 PM, and told them it’s gonna be midnight in east coast shortly and I need to buy this so they agreed to sell it to me and I got Madame X and my iTunes purchase unlocked too. I paid with cash money to live the experience of getting an album from a physical store on launch day like the old days and I was so damn happy, so I played the iTunes version ok phone as I walked in Downtown LA and as God Control played, I didn’t know what was coming so when the song took off after the “people think that I’m insane” and then “we need to wake up” my tears started falling down as I walked almost like dancing in the streets and I just couldn’t control it.

DAMN, THANK YOU, to all your responses...and the honesty. That's it, I think Madonnas music has always been honest...whether you are down, or up, broken, healed, sexy, feisty...all of her music is sincere in all these sentiments. 

Reading your replies, I saw myself in many of your answers and song choices, remembering reacting almost the same to some of them...

I grew up with her music, and then I had a falling out for a few years, was even angry at her and her choices, being desperate to stay relevant while being a practical genius...recently I came back to that feeling of loving her, what she meant to me...thats why I even joined this forum...

Again, thanks for all the responses...❤

GUYS reading all your choices and responses makes me cry myself!

Wow, it's like all these songs have affected us on a spiritual/soul level! Just amazing and makes me pause for a moment to truly be thankful for how Madonna had come into our lives. A blessing...  Like dude, How would our lives be without Madonna.

Damn I'm crying I hate being a Pisces 

But to me among the many Madonna songs that make me cry, GET TOGETHER makes me cry tears of longing and tears of celebration. It's too otherworldly.

Oh Father: I have had similar experiences shown in the video, especially the funeral scene. 

Drowned World (Substitute For Love) The sadness of years of relying on your "substitute for love" only to be left feeling empty and learning there is no substitute. Madonna of course was not left feeling empty by the end of the song and the video. ?

Falling Free "I wanted you to feel the same." 

Wash All Over Me " I'm not gonna run away from all this sadness." 

Dark Ballet This song for me represents an uncompromising commitment to stay true to myself but also knowing that commitment will bring me suffering. 

You Must Love Me Madonna's intentions in Evita for me are all about the connection she has with the people who love her. 

These songs I can focus solely on the feeling and they have made me cry. Madonna, I feel,  mostly deals with sadness in her songs by mingling it with anger or numbness which distances itself from the true hurt wanting to be expressed.  I can name many but two examples for me are "Nobody Knows Me and Paradise ( Not For Me.)

In "Nobody Knows Me" the hurt is barely hidden under a tense delivery and Paradise (Not For Me) really captures the numbness of repressed hurt. This is my experience anyway and I feel that if Madonna really expressed the underlying hurt in many of her songs I would be a mess but I feel I can sense it in her songs. She too often keeps the listener at a distance. 

I believe I have cried at the songs I listed above but Oh Father and Drowned World destroy me. 

I think for me it’s Promise to Try. I always felt deeply connected to that song. My grandmother, She raised me. Took care of me. And I was 10 when she died on Christmas morning. 
So much of the music resonated with me.

“Laughing away your tears” - exactly what she did to cheer me up.

”Keep your head held high, ride like the wind” - she taught me to be brave against my bullies in school.

”can’t kiss her goodbye, but I promise to try” - I was too young to be by her bedside when she passed. But the feeling of emptiness is still so vivid. 
If I need a good cry I’ll sit at the piano and play this.