What do you think of Drowned World Tour setlist?

RebelHeart

I think this is the most hit-free setlist in her carreer (or maybe along with Madame X Tour?).

Only 2 hits from the past

Bedtime Stories - 2 songs
ROL -  6 songs
Music - 7 songs (I'm not including Paradise interlude)

(if I messed sth up, correct me ;))

Do you like the idea of focusing only on the newest albums? Would you rather a tour with more hits?

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I liked that she focused on the new material with the Drowned World Tour because they were very good albums. I think with her later albums a 50/50 setlist is better.

That said, I do think she should have included some more songs from Bedtime Stories, Something to Remember, and Ray of Light, on the Drowned World Tour.

Well, the first tour with a weird set list: Mer Girl, Nobody's Perfect, Paradise, I deserve it, Funny Song and Candy Perfume Girl. 

I would replace them for single choices: The Power of Goodbye, Nothing Really Matters, Bedtime Story, Take a Bow, You'll See and American Pie. 

But nothig is worst than The MDNA Tour set list. 

Drowned World Tour didn't do justice to both Bedtime Stories and Ray of Light (especially Bedtime which only had 2 songs performed!), and her whole Music aesthetic at the time clashed a lot with the Ray of Light songs, in my opinion. The setlist became a bit unbalanced and incoherent for me.

I also think the Music album deserved a tour of its own as the songs would have mashed so much better with songs from the 80s albums instead of BS/ROL.

Edited by Dito (see edit history)

I didn't like it much. I think Bedtime Stories should've gotten more representation considering that the album never had its own tour. I feel like Madonna hates the Bedtime Stories era in general though, so maybe that's why she paid it dust.

Also, the fact that she only performed two of her hits from the 80's was a rather strange choice since a lot of people who attended the tour probably did so because they wanted to hear more of her back catalog, not just her newer material.

In my opinion the show has the perfect balance with that powerful entrance with Drowned World/Substitute for Love, and fantastic Impressive Instant. Beautiful Stranger and Ray of Light was fun. Paradise (Not for Me) was amazing to see live, as was Frozen and Nobodys Perfect.

Sky Fits Heaven was breathtaking. Dont Tell me was everything i needed. Human Nature with the bull worked for me and I could have possibly done without the Funny Song and Lo que siente la mujer but built back up for a beautiful version of La Isla Bonita and stomping ghetto thumping Holiday and Music. 

I do think, like most of her shows, you have to see it live as watching on a screen just can't do it justice. 

It's perfection.

This was when Madonna really hated her back catalogue. Since ROL she was avoiding everything 80s-related. She mentioned a few times (paraphrasing) that she just could perform Material Girl or Like A Virgin because she was not that person anymore. I think this ended around American Life, when she did the acoustic versions of Like a Virgin and Like a Prayer.

I think the demand for the first Madonna tour in 8 years was huge. She knew it would sold out and people were dying to see her. So, she took advantage of that and did whatever the fuck she wanted with the setlist, and I fucking love her for that.

I have no choice but to stand the fact that she performed The Funny Song instead of a hit :lol: And I'm sorry, and maybe it's because I'm latino little faggy boy myself, but I LOVE Lo Que Siente La Mujer, and that arrangement with Calderone's mix, still gives me goosebumps.

BUT...

Nothing Really Matters should've been in the Geisha section and You'll See should've been part of the setlist since day one.

This is what I would do... Bold is showing what is different.

"Rotating Ballad" is a few songs to cycle through throughout the tour. Something to keep it fresh for her and the fans. 

Drowned World/Substitute for Love

Impressive Instant

Candy Perfume Girl

Beautiful Stranger

Ray of Light

Paradise (Not for Me)

Nothing Really Matters

Nobody's Perfect Frozen (Album Version)

Mer Girl/Sky Fits Heaven/Mer Girl

What it Feels Like for a Girl (Remix)

I deserve It   Secret (Album Version)

Don't Tell Me

Human Nature

The Funny Song  I Deserve It

Rotating Balled      Gone, Love Tried to Welcome Me, You'll See, Swim, I Want You, TPOGoodbye

Don't Cry for Me Argentina (Interlude) You Must Love Me (Interlude)

Lo que siente la mujer

La Isla Bonita   To Have and Not to Hold

Holiday

Music

Encore: Wet Ass Pussy

The Drowned World tour is possibly my favourite tour of hers but the setlist is incredibly self indulgent. A couple of hits could have been thrown in. Hell, even singles from the albums she was representing could have been thrown in. Nothing Really Matters, The Power Of Goodbye, Bedtime Story, Take A Bow, What It Feels Like For A Girl - all would have appeased a more casual fan watching.

Well, she always toured and supported material from the albums currently even if the previous felt hit heavy. She could have gone the usual route and thrown in Like a Virgin, Vogue or Like a Prayer but she wanted to showcase "the new Madonna" and even prior to it being cancelled in favor of "The Next Best Thing" you could see from what Chris and others said, it was always supposed to be heavy on Kabbalah and spirituality.

It took me a while to warm up to this tour because of course you want the hits but as an artistic venture, this one is her most daring in regards to being spontaneous. Giving the ROL and Music albums their chance to shine while also virtually paying your past two decades dust was bold. The only glaring omission was "Nothing Really Matters" and "The Funny Song" wasn't funny nor enjoyable. Wish "You'll See" had been professionally filmed too. That arrangement sounds so good.

Set list wise, I love it. It's a good blend of seriousness, dark, cheeky and joy. Has become one of my favorite tours!

I love this tour. The vocals are great too.

She could probably have squeezed in a few extra hits. Eg Open Your Heart performed instead of Nobody's Perfect. I do think though most of her old hits would not have fit in this avant garde type show. So I can see why she left them out. Perhaps Live to Tell or Like a Prayer could have been squeezed in somewhere?

Anyway, she did the right thing doing a Greatest Hits tour afterward. So I guess she satisfied everyone in the end.

I think the setlist and how the songs were brought to life made for a beautifully dark show. There's nothing I would add or subtract from it. Even the WIFLFAG interlude had a purpose which flowed with the story. The fact that You'll See was only performed a couple of time made it all the more special. The intro at the start of the show is perhaps my favourite, I love how it blends excerpts from a handful of songs together with William Orbit peices. Human Nature is reallu impressive here, as is La Isla Bonita. Music and Holiday are so energetic. It's just a perfect show and a great way to showcase her talent after such a long time away from touring.

Nobody's Perfect, was PERFECT (lol) on the setlist. It explained a lot from the story / plot that she was telling during the geisha section. 
For me the setlist is perfect, I would add only Nothing Really Matters, as it was a fan favouritte, but other than that... excelent tour. She gained a lot of new fans during Ray Of Light / Music (like me), so for us it was like The Virgin Tour was for previous fans: everything new, fresh and based on the albums that we were listenning non stop! 

It's a tour that I never cared for (maybe cos I was pissed I coudlnt go) but looking at it now, it's really good on its components and themes.

And it contains what they are big hits by that time: Ray Of light, Frozen, Secret, Music, Don't tell me

Dumb question: What's with the You'll See? I noticed is on the Tour audio but not on the Detroit video.

26 minutes ago, EgoRod said:

It's a tour that I never cared for (maybe cos I was pissed I coudlnt go) but looking at it now, it's really good on its components and themes.

And it contains what they are big hits by that time: Ray Of light, Frozen, Secret, Music, Don't tell me

Dumb question: What's with the You'll See? I noticed is on the Tour audio but not on the Detroit video.

You'll See substituted Gone for some shows on the US leg