GHV2 Question

Guest DeeperDeeper

19 hours ago, deathproof said:

I don't see how Impressive Instant getting a club-only release and Amazing getting promo radio cd's in select Euro countries confirms this 4th single fiasco and M fighting with Warners.

If we are putting the 2 and 2 together, then i could see that. 

Plus there's never been a confirmation about Amazing being in the DWT setlist.

And didn't ICON confirm Paradise as the 4th single?

Yes there is Rauhofer explained this in a radio interview that WB did plan to move forward with the release of "Amazing" planning to promote the single with a live performance from the DWT but she removed the song from the set list. 

On 10/14/2020 at 8:32 AM, Blue Jean said:

The only good thing about this album was the cover which is gorgeous. Everything else about it was awful. No new songs, no promo, awful tracklist and sequencing, terrible single edits, shit name.... the write up in the booklet....

The tracklisting was fine.  It merely lacked new tracks.  Madonna's compilations always miss great songs... as she has so many.  Should have called it The Second Coming.  And she could have added Revenge and Goodbye to Innocence.  I would have been cool with that.

On 10/14/2020 at 8:34 AM, Ryder said:

no it's not. She felt that Amazing was similar to her previous single Beautiful Stranger and wanted the futuristic Impressive Instant which was released as a promo only to dance clubs. Also for HC Madonna wanted Candy Store and Warner wanted 4 Minutes. 

...and I cant remember where I saw or read this but didnt Madonna do a final hurrah at the Warner offices in Burbank (CA) by having all of the staff come inside a large room to get a first listen to the album.  She then told the room she wants Candy Shop as the first single and the suits want 4 minutes and that she wanted to the staff to vote by applauding.  4 minutes got a much bigger applause from the room......anyone else remember this?  I remember being so jealous especially since i worked at Yahoo at the time which was also in Burbank minutes away from this exciting experience.

A

18 hours ago, Sultrysully said:

The tracklisting was fine.  It merely lacked new tracks.  Madonna's compilations always miss great songs... as she has so many.  Should have called it The Second Coming.  And she could have added Revenge and Goodbye to Innocence.  I would have been cool with that.

If the current tracklist was kept and we added atleast one of those could have been cool. 

My big issue with GHV2 is Warner went with some of the most TERRIBLE versions of tracks.

The ones i have the biggest issue with are Ray of Light and Human Nature (I dont know about you guys but i can literally hear the bad editing in this one, like when it fades out, the edit right around there has a volume shift I think in the wrong direction, I cant remember anymore but what a mess).

GHV2 could have easily been elevated if all she did was a couple simple things.

Mostly Choronological order just like its predecessor Immaculate.  The varying eras just dont work well in their current order.

Human Nature - why not give people the Video Version (with the absolutely no regrets thats only avail on the promo cd)

Ray of Light - Album version or maybe the so called extended version but NOT the bad edit.

Here are the simple changes that I think would make this more pleasing and the order is mostly chronological but also moved so the bpm arent so jarring.

"Erotica" (Radio Edit)

"Deeper and Deeper" (7" Edit)

"Bedtime Story" (Edit)

"Secret" (Edit)

"Human Nature" (Radio Version)  (Video Version - first time released)

"Take a Bow" (Edit)

"Don't Cry for Me Argentina" (Radio Edit)

"Frozen" (Edit)

"Ray of Light" (Radio Edit) Album Version

"The Power of Good-Bye"

"Drowned World/Substitute for Love" (edit)

"Beautiful Stranger" (William Orbit Radio Edit)

"Music"

"What It Feels Like for a Girl"

"Don't Tell Me"

2 hours ago, AModSquad said:

...and I cant remember where I saw or read this but didnt Madonna do a final hurrah at the Warner offices in Burbank (CA) by having all of the staff come inside a large room to get a first listen to the album.  She then told the room she wants Candy Shop as the first single and the suits want 4 minutes and that she wanted to the staff to vote by applauding.  4 minutes got a much bigger applause from the room......anyone else remember this?  I remember being so jealous especially since i worked at Yahoo at the time which was also in Burbank minutes away from this exciting experience.

A

Yes I remember this story. It was someone who attended reporting back that info.

12 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Wow, I’m going to say no . It’s just a weird question to ask to be so specific.

But can I ask you one? 

If you try to fail and succeed, then which have you done?

Huh? I really don’t see the problem in asking. It would be great to have a reference for future inquiries. I have timeline documents with various anecdotes through the years and would love to add this.

So please, if you know, please share!

3 hours ago, AModSquad said:

A

Warner and Liz threw the listening party. It was an intern that leaked all the information (including photos of the listening room). 

2 hours ago, AModSquad said:

GHV2 could have easily been elevated if all she did was a couple simple things.

Mostly Choronological order just like its predecessor Immaculate.  The varying eras just dont work well in their current order.

Human Nature - why not give people the Video Version (with the absolutely no regrets thats only avail on the promo cd)

Ray of Light - Album version or maybe the so called extended version but NOT the bad edit.

Here are the simple changes that I think would make this more pleasing and the order is mostly chronological but also moved so the bpm arent so jarring.

I have always found the radio edits of Frozen and Ray of Light atrocious. Those songs have such great instrumental moments with fantastic bridges; you just can’t shorten them!

I wish they had used the video edits instead, which do a much better job at shortening the songs without removing too much of the song.

8 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Warner and Liz threw the listening party. It was an intern that leaked all the information (including photos of the listening room). It was all posted on that Prince forum.

Shit you have a good memory. All I remember is her wanting Candy Shop as the first single and her being disappointed.

6 minutes ago, deathproof said:

I have always found the radio edits of Frozen and Ray of Light atrocious. Those songs have such great instrumental moments with fantastic bridges; you just can’t shorten them!

I wish they had used the video edits instead, which do a much better job at shortening the songs without removing too much of the song.

Frozen I don’t mind but Ray of Light is an abomination. I can’t even listen to it.

I also hate that version of Human Nature. I doubt having a warning sticker would have hurt sales, sales were not even good anyway.

Sales for "GHV2" were amazing in Europe:

900.000 in UK - that is A LOT

300.000 in Germany

300.000 in France

200.000 in Spain

Etc.

Also 140.000 in Australia, 200.000 in Japan... 7 million worldwide for a Greatest Hits album with no new songs was more than good. And album sales began to suffer then with Napster and piracy, by the way.

It was meant to be a Christmas big seller so of course a Parental sticker was out of the question. I didn't mind the edits cause... you know, at least it was something different. It was better than just the same album versions all over again.

It would be a fantastic move by WB (with M's close support) to go BACK to 'The Immaculate Collection' - re-release with remaster. And then, shortly after (or even simultaneously):

The Immaculate Collection Volume 2: (1991-2000)

The Immaculate Collection Volume 3: (2002-2009)

Special collector's boxset edition with all the trimmings including a bonus remix set. 

Why waste such an iconic, best-selling title and brand...?

:drama:

Guest Nobody Knows Me
6 hours ago, Kieran said:

It would be a fantastic move by WB (with M's close support) to go BACK to 'The Immaculate Collection' - re-release with remaster. And then, shortly after (or even simultaneously):

The Immaculate Collection Volume 2: (1991-2000)

The Immaculate Collection Volume 3: (2002-2009)

Special collector's boxset edition with all the trimmings including a bonus remix set. 

Why waste such an iconic, best-selling title and brand...?

:drama:

We could have:

The Immaculate Collection (1983-1990)

The Second Coming (1991-2000)

The Holy Trinity (2002-2020)

Packaged as The Royal Box.