GHV2 Question

Guest DeeperDeeper

She was asked by Jo Whiley in 2001 why there were no new songs and she said "I'm saving them for my next album." She also said it was a 'greatest hits' and it would be presumptuous to assume a new song would become a "hit." I think her interest in GHV2 was minimal at best, although she did sarcastically promote it during her speech at the Tate awards.

There were issues between Warner and her at the time and it was her way to "punish" them (and sabotage her own project in the process).

Warner Europe made her include "American Pie" on the International edition of "Music", but she didn't want to. It made sense cause it had been a huge hit (#1 in UK) but creatively she was against doing that.

Later, Warner wanted to release "Amazing" as the 4th single of "Music" but she wanted "Impressive Instant". Warner refused and she refused to make a video for "Amazing" and even took it out from the Drowned World Tour set list, so they couldn't use a live performance video.

Besides, she had been non-stop for four years and was really tired. After the DWT she left to shoot "Swept Away" and just left the project in Warner's hands.

Warner did quite a good job with it. With no new songs and no promo from her (but a couple of interviews), "GHV2" sold 7 million copies worldwide.

The promo only "GHV2 Megamix" was great, I guess it couldn't be commercially released for copyright issues/whatever but it was amazing, and the video montage too.

3 hours ago, Prayer said:

Later, Warner wanted to release "Amazing" as the 4th single of "Music" but she wanted "Impressive Instant". Warner refused and she refused to make a video for "Amazing" and even took it out from the Drowned World Tour set list, so they couldn't use a live performance video.

This was the smartest decision on M's part. While Amazing is a good song,it sounds way too much like Beautiful Stranger and the comparisons would have been immediately drawn to those songs had it been released as a single. She dodged a bullet honestly.

3 minutes ago, louis.exe said:

Wasn't there rumors before the album released that she was gonna re-record / revamp Holiday  

I’ve never heard this before. And the fact that Holiday wasn’t initially suppose to be on DWT until Donna and Niki begged her to do it, kinda proves that this is just a false rumor.

12 minutes ago, deathproof said:

I’ve never heard this before. And the fact that Holiday wasn’t initially suppose to be on DWT until Donna and Niki begged her to do it, kinda proves that this is just a false rumor.

Just rumours:

During the months prior to the release there was a lot of speculation about the tracklisting. Rumour had it that the album would contain two new tracks. For a short while, the titles 'Veronica Electronica' and 'Sex Makes The World Go Round', but these rumours were obviously false, as the first title referred to an abandoned remix project of Madonna and William Orbit, while the latter seems to be a parody of 1986's Love Makes The World Go Round. Later it was said that the new tracks would be live versions of Holiday and Music, but that also was later denied. For a while Amazon displayed different tracklistings for the UK and Japan (including an unknown bonustrack), but this also seemed untrue.

https://www.mad-eyes.net/music/ghv2/

A live promo video montage of "Holiday" was released to promote the "Drowned World Tour" VHS/DVD release:

https://todayinmadonnahistory.com/2014/02/12/today-in-madonna-history-february-12-2002/

I remember the "Veronica Electronica" and "Sex Makes The World Go Round" rumours. :lol:

To be fair, the "GHV2" tracklist was not bad... I know some people hated it at the time but it works and the remastering is subtle and GOOD. Its sounds much, much better than "Celebration".

But a new song or even the megamix wouldn't have hurt.

36 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Just rumours:

During the months prior to the release there was a lot of speculation about the tracklisting. Rumour had it that the album would contain two new tracks. For a short while, the titles 'Veronica Electronica' and 'Sex Makes The World Go Round', but these rumours were obviously false, as the first title referred to an abandoned remix project of Madonna and William Orbit, while the latter seems to be a parody of 1986's Love Makes The World Go Round. Later it was said that the new tracks would be live versions of Holiday and Music, but that also was later denied. For a while Amazon displayed different tracklistings for the UK and Japan (including an unknown bonustrack), but this also seemed untrue.

https://www.mad-eyes.net/music/ghv2/

A live promo video montage of "Holiday" was released to promote the "Drowned World Tour" VHS/DVD release:

https://todayinmadonnahistory.com/2014/02/12/today-in-madonna-history-february-12-2002/

I remember the "Veronica Electronica" and "Sex Makes The World Go Round" rumours. :lol:

To be fair, the "GHV2" tracklist was not bad... I know some people hated it at the time but it works and the remastering is subtle and GOOD. Its sounds much, much better than "Celebration".

But a new song or even the megamix wouldn't have hurt.

It was not bad just the order of the tracks were! The initial tracklist had You'll See which was replaced by Drowned World... and yes a new track or two wouldn't have hurt - also leaving the initial test-pressing cd cover ...

5 hours ago, Prayer said:

Wasn’t all of that just rumours though?

1 minute ago, Ryder said:

It was not bad just the order of the tracks were! The initial tracklist had You'll See which was replaced by Drowned World... and yes a new track or two wouldn't have hurt - also leaving the initial test-pressing cd cover ...

Was that original tracklist ever proven as real?

3 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

no it's not. She felt that Amazing was similar to her previous single Beautiful Stranger and wanted the futuristic Impressive Instant which was released as a promo only to dance clubs. Also for HC Madonna wanted Candy Store and Warner wanted 4 Minutes. 

4 minutes ago, Ryder said:

no it's not. She felt that Amazing was similar to her previous single Beautiful Stranger and wanted the futuristic Impressive Instant which was released as a promo only to dance clubs. 

Do you have a source for all of that? I remember it being on fan sites but I don’t remember her saying it. Nor do I remember confirmation she took Amazing out of the setlist to stop them using footage as a video.

1 minute ago, luluthecat said:

The limited edition CD is one of my favourite M releases, its so beautiful. 

No idea why the Thunderpuss Megamix could've have been a bonus track on there I'll never know. 

Agree! I guess the Thunderpuss would have not fit in the CD for lack of timing. But it was given as a bonus CD in OZ. But how gorgeous is the Taiwan promo 1 track release with the Versace cover?? That was also the initial OZ copies?  

17 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Do you have a source for all of that? I remember it being on fan sites but I don’t remember her saying it.

The source is that Impressive was released and Amazing too init a couple European countries: read below 

https://todayinmadonnahistory.com/tag/music-album/page/6/

36 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Well, Warner sent a promo of "Amazing" to radios in Europe, so they were definitely pushing for the song.

R-690934-1444655761-7901.jpeg.jpg

I remember it was played on the radio in Spain for a little while in Summer 2001.

Meanwhile, Madonna opened her promo tour for "Music" with "Impressive Instant" and it was the second number on her Drowned World Tour, so it was a fave of hers.

It's a shame they couldn't reach an agreement. It always seemed weird a hit album like "Music" only had three official singles, even back then.

Imagine "Amazing" as a Summer single in 2001 and then "Impressive Instant" remixed as the single for "GHV2" (plus another new song).

Guest Nobody Knows Me
3 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Imagine "Amazing" as a Summer single in 2001 and then "Impressive Instant" remixed as the single for "GHV2" (plus another new song).

This really should have happened. Amazing probably would have been a hit and Impressive Intant would have had a fantastic video.

I don't see how Impressive Instant getting a club-only release and Amazing getting promo radio cd's in select Euro countries confirms this 4th single fiasco and M fighting with Warners.

If we are putting the 2 and 2 together, then i could see that. 

Plus there's never been a confirmation about Amazing being in the DWT setlist.

And didn't ICON confirm Paradise as the 4th single?

44 minutes ago, deathproof said:

I don't see how Impressive Instant getting a club-only release and Amazing getting promo radio cd's in select Euro countries confirms this 4th single fiasco and M fighting with Warners.

If we are putting the 2 and 2 together, then i could see that. 

But there's never been a confirmation about Amazing being in the DWT setlist.

Exactly. All these fan internet rumours have become “facts” over the years with no evidence behind them.

1 hour ago, Ryder said:

The source is that Impressive was released and Amazing too init a couple European countries: read below 

https://todayinmadonnahistory.com/tag/music-album/page/6/

I know they were both promo singles, that wasn’t the bit I was referring to. The rest is just rumours I think.