Mirwais interview in Libération (October, 17th)

PlayPause

"I had a hit with Naive Song, from my Production album. There's Auto-tune all along. Madonna wanted it, so I wrote Nobody's Perfect for her. It was the first time a major star used the Auto-tune on a song from start to finish."

"We did some trials to see how things were working out between us because she tests a lot of producers before she makes up her mind.  With Air, for example, it didn't work out."

"We are both extremists when it comes to music. She could die for a sound. She is very impatient, everything has to be quick in the studio, and it ends up paralyzing some producers..."

"During the American Life session, the work on a track was going on forever, so she asked 'How come it's taking so long to be cool?'. I replied 'Cause it's very fast to be uncool'. She laughed. There's a lot of fun between us. I remember I once had to quote Spinoza and Freud to have the last word on  Whatsapp. We're not friends though, we hardly call each other. She thinks I'm crazy so I'm allowed to say that I kind of see her as a slightly nuts sister. I couldn't stand living around her, she's a diva, but I support her 100% because she's one of a kind. I left the recording of COADF because she was being a pain in the neck."

"Her last record, Madame X, gave me the impression that she was back in control. We hadn't seen each other in 12 years, she's living in Portugal, she loves Cesaria Evora, so she asked me if I felt like composing in that direction. We experimented a little and then embarked on making the album, eventually opening it to club tracks."

https://next.liberation.fr/musique/2020/10/16/mirwais-j-ai-survecu-dans-un-milieu-hostile_1802606

Mirwais.thumb.jpg.88fb7da3fcc4d929cd6cb0f8ddb32b10.jpg

Guest DeeperDeeper

It doesn't surprise me that it didn't work out with AIR - seriously those guys control their music and have a clear direction. M would have had to strictly play the chanteuse and follow their orders for them to work their magic. 

Guest DeeperDeeper
1 minute ago, wtg1987 said:

I’m really sad she never worked with Air - they produced beautiful songs for Charlotte gainsbourgs album plus their own stuff is amazing too - Mirwais isn’t as good sorry ?

Massive Attack worked because she recorded the vocals and they did the rest and it was a cover song, not an original composition. 

Other than that I can't see M being able to work along a lot of highly successful dance and alternative artists because of her ego. 

I'm amazed that Ray of Light came together with Orbit tbh. 

4 hours ago, Kosmmik said:

"It was the first time a major star used the Auto-tune on a song from start to finish."

Cher - Believe (1998) ?

Details matter. "Believe" uses it as an effect like sprinkles on cupcakes. His song "Naive Song" and "Nobody's Perfect" use it on the vocal from the beginning till the end. 

There was confusion about "Believe" cause the producers said at first they had used a vocoder, not Auto-Tune, to protect their "secret". Later it was used everywhere anyway.

For some time, the "Cher effect" was believed (no pun intended) to be a vocoder. Of course it was Auto-Tune and it changed popular music forever.

But yeah, in "Believe" is not from "start to finish".

His indictment of French Touch as a right-wing capitalist and bourgeois movement is most telling. I love that he couldn't give a shit about insulting his peers, and his honesty regarding Madonna and her divadom is equally refreshing. She gives him access to a part of herself that is free of the sometimes sycophantic bubble in which she seems to feel safest to thrive.