How are you like Madonna?

Voguerista

18 hours ago, madfan13_86 said:

Hmmm....

- I have a gap in my front teeth
- I am bossy
- I intimidate people (don't mean to? ;) )
- I make people uncomfortable with my sarcastic/unfiltered/dark sense of humour
- I'm forward-looking
- I love books
- I love pushing buttons
- I'm resilient
- I'm creative
- I was raised Catholic too
- I love Césaria Evora, Frida, Tamara de Lempicka and a good rosé 

Hi Madge!

Guest Nobody Knows Me
20 hours ago, madfan13_86 said:

Hmmm....

- I am bossy
- I'm forward-looking
- I love books
- I love pushing buttons
- I'm resilient
- I'm creative

We want you for the biopic! 

As a tribute to her Like A Virgin performance on the Blond Ambition tour, I once simulated masturbation on a big red velvet bed. I was just like her when I viewed the CCTV in the presence of the police just before I was released with a warning and given a 5-year ban from all IKEA stores.

4 hours ago, discohub said:

Sorry to say, comparing yourselves to Madonna and bragging about your social flaws makes most of you look like total pains in the ass.

... and yet, you became a pain the ass with this comment. You're also like Madonna, ironic sometimes :kiss:

It's not bragging, just comparing. Chill :)

4 hours ago, discohub said:

Sorry to say, comparing yourselves to Madonna and bragging about your social flaws makes most of you look like total pains in the ass.

It’s just for fun and not meant to be taken so seriously. And no one is comparing. We are only sharing what things about us we might have in common with Madonna. Though I have no doubt there are a lot of things we don’t have in common. 

"I think" we are alike in our refusal to accept whatever role is handed to us. 

Our endless and stubborn search for unconditional love. 

Our intolerance for tools. 

Our intolerance for bullys. 

Ability to see through people not close to us. 

Our blindness to people who are close to us. 

Love of the Arts

Not afraid to say what we think even if we are mocked for it. 

Easily hurt but strong

Fear of thunder

Feel like I don't belong

I'm sure there's more...?

12 hours ago, Team Madonna said:

I dont want to ruin this thread with a negative question but is Madonna really a narcissist? I know it's not uncommon for most celebrities but knowing if she is or not wont make me love her less. Does she really have npd or just the traits of one??

That’s an interesting question. I think any performer who likes to seduce and take control has this narcissistic trait but not sure when one could speak of a clinical disorder. We don’t know her well enough to judge. A friend of mine who is a psychiatrist and a fan is convinced that M has a borderliner personality. I can’t tell. She is eccentric for sure. Something that has always worked well with being an entertainer.

Guest DeeperDeeper
On 10/21/2020 at 10:23 PM, Voguerista said:

We are all like Madonna in some way. Would you agree? If so, how are you like Madonna?

I would say we share a somewhat "visual" eye together in a way creatively (as a photographer, I'm always looking for that perfect shot). We also have the same taste in SHOES ...and lipstick! :kiss:

Is Russian Red by MAC your staple lipstick in your collection? 

I've actually brought women this colour as gifts over the years. Great shade. 

646f7f6a1d099d9442c39373e2ea3d53.jpg

15 hours ago, Team Madonna said:

I dont want to ruin this thread with a negative question but is Madonna really a narcissist? I know it's not uncommon for most celebrities but knowing if she is or not wont make me love her less. Does she really have npd or just the traits of one??

Oh my God, I love you so much for this question. I have a HUGE problem with the use of the word "narcissist" being thrown around like it is today. I studied Psychology for 5 years, Dark Triad Traits (those often found in Psycho/Sociopaths, which are Narcissism, Machiavellianism and Psycopathy) have always been one of my main focus in studies.

People don't realize that Narcissism is not taking 1000 pictures of yourself or wanting to be in the spotlight. At least, the clinical definition isn't. It's a lack of empathy for others to the point of harm. This is why that psychological trait comes from the Narcissus myth - he was so in love with his image that he drowned himself. The drowning here is the important part, it's what differs narcissism from just self-love, or even simple vanity. A true narcissist harms others but also often himself.

Madonna is NOT a narcissist. She's most likely just an Extroverted, Type-A personality which makes people very driven and ambitious, which we see everyday in work environments. She probably also places her self-esteem linked to her work, which is why she gets depressed when she's not working/is a workaholic. Then we have to look at the environment - years of fame and being catered to your every needs make you somewhat spoiled and a bit of a diva at times. This is even seen across all celebrities and non-famous rich people.

I never quite understood why Madonna has the reputation of being one. She's in the spotlight, actually she's THE spotlight - of course she's always going to talk about herself. What would someone expect from an artist who does very personal work? Her courage and strength also came from years of being against the social tide and (negative) social conditioning - a narcissist would never put himself in risky situations of public ridicule like Erotica for instance, because for a narcissist public reputation is all that matters. Without a positive social quota, their whole façade crumbles.

But now you say - "Yeah, well what about when she wasn't that famous yet and said she wanted to rule and conquer the world?? That's pretty narcissistic!!" - is it, though? Let's analyze:

1- She was a middle child, which are famously notorious for being forgotten and undervalued in the family dynamic. They often act out to seek attention because they all the positive parental attention being given mainly to older and younger brothers She even talks about this in the Keep It Together lyrics.
2- She wanted to be a dancer in the first place, singing or acting was never even her goal when she went to NYC. So we can assume she never had a primary goal of being that much in the spotlight, all the time.
3- She's American, and Americans are conditioned from a very early age to chase the "american dream" of making it big, thus forming a loop of positive reinforcement, especially for Type-A's.
4- That type of attitude/response is very typical of people with her personality. They want the success, not necessarily the fame or attention. It's a different thing.

So all in all, she's just a workaholic who wanted to make it big and she did. Besides, a true narcissist would never do all the (quiet) philanthropic work she's done, or even adopted a child that didn't mirror them personally (people with narcissistic disorders are especially notorious for always wanting biological children and almost never adopting unless it's for personal gain like child-slaving at home).

But want to know who most likely has a bit of Grandiose Narcissism? Guy Ritchie. But that's a whole nother story...

Sorry for the long thesis. haha

3 hours ago, Dito said:

Oh my God, I love you so much for this question. I have a HUGE problem with the use of the word "narcissist" being thrown around like it is today. I studied Psychology for 5 years, Dark Triad Traits (those often found in Psycho/Sociopaths, which are Narcissism, Machiavellianism and Psycopathy) have always been one of my main focus in studies.

People don't realize that Narcissism is not taking 1000 pictures of yourself or wanting to be in the spotlight. At least, the clinical definition isn't. It's a lack of empathy for others to the point of harm. This is why that psychological trait comes from the Narcissus myth - he was so in love with his image that he drowned himself. The drowning here is the important part, it's what differs narcissism from just self-love, or even simple vanity. A true narcissist harms others but also often himself.

Madonna is NOT a narcissist. She's most likely just an Extroverted, Type-A personality which makes people very driven and ambitious, which we see everyday in work environments. She probably also places her self-esteem linked to her work, which is why she gets depressed when she's not working/is a workaholic. Then we have to look at the environment - years of fame and being catered to your every needs make you somewhat spoiled and a bit of a diva at times. This is even seen across all celebrities and non-famous rich people.

I never quite understood why Madonna has the reputation of being one. She's in the spotlight, actually she's THE spotlight - of course she's always going to talk about herself. What would someone expect from an artist who does very personal work? Her courage and strength also came from years of being against the social tide and (negative) social conditioning - a narcissist would never put himself in risky situations of public ridicule like Erotica for instance, because for a narcissist public reputation is all that matters. Without a positive social quota, their whole façade crumbles.

But now you say - "Yeah, well what about when she wasn't that famous yet and said she wanted to rule and conquer the world?? That's pretty narcissistic!!" - is it, though? Let's analyze:

1- She was a middle child, which are famously notorious for being forgotten and undervalued in the family dynamic. They often act out to seek attention because they all the positive parental attention being given mainly to older and younger brothers She even talks about this in the Keep It Together lyrics.
2- She wanted to be a dancer in the first place, singing or acting was never even her goal when she went to NYC. So we can assume she never had a primary goal of being that much in the spotlight, all the time.
3- She's American, and Americans are conditioned from a very early age to chase the "american dream" of making it big, thus forming a loop of positive reinforcement, especially for Type-A's.
4- That type of attitude/response is very typical of people with her personality. They want the success, not necessarily the fame or attention. It's a different thing.

So all in all, she's just a workaholic who wanted to make it big and she did. Besides, a true narcissist would never do all the (quiet) philanthropic work she's done, or even adopted a child that didn't mirror them personally (people with narcissistic disorders are especially notorious for always wanting biological children and almost never adopting unless it's for personal gain like child-slaving at home).

But want to know who most likely has a bit of Grandiose Narcissism? Guy Ritchie. But that's a whole nother story...

Thank you! I understand your point completely. 

Guest DeeperDeeper
14 hours ago, Dito said:

She's not a communal narcissist either. 

Another factor is her Catholic and Italian/French upbringing due to the influence of her family, particularly Silvio Ciccone and Elsie Mae Fortin. Both of them do/did a lot for their communities and are/were very generous with humility. 

On 10/21/2020 at 9:05 PM, madfan13_86 said:

Hmmm....

- I am bossy
- I'm forward-looking
- I love books
- I love pushing buttons
- I'm resilient
- I'm creative

I think we have found the perfect person to play her in the movie! 

• 2 weeks later...

Like Madonna, I can be kind of a prick; I can be moody, temperamental, bossy and mean. But I also share a couple of her good traits like being creative and being headstrong. I'm also a huge, huge liberal Democrat like Madge, which I consider to be way better than these asshole Republicans around - but then, everyone has their flaws, right?