Erotica - Official 1080p Music Video

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I really don't think they bothered going back to the original 8-16 mm tapes and rescan the films. As we could see with "Music" video, they learnt the Topaz Upscale software and did the same with Erotica, granted they used the master uncompressed video source, that's why we have a much better quality than if sourced from DVD.

3 hours ago, deathproof said:

lol. 1080p IS HD! I don't know why everyone is saying otherwise...

Because you are mixing two different concepts. 1080p is just a resolution, nothing more, but to call something "High Definition", the material must be from a true High Definition source (above 720p for "High Definition", 1080p for "Full High Definition", and 2160p for "Ultra High Definition").

If I upscale a 240p video to 1080p I don't get a "High Definition" video, I just get an upscaled to 1080p video. Erotica is an excellent upscale to 1080p, but still not "High Definition" because the source is from SD material. 

It's really the same with music, a lossy mp3 won't be a lossless file if you save it in wav. It will be a lossy file stored in wav format. 

25 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Upscale or not (we dont know what they did), it's still HD. I don't know how you are classifying things, but yes, resolution is something thats used in HD classification. If something is 720 or above, it's referred to as HD.

Only if the original source/master is HD. If the master is from a SD source It's just an upscale. A video with resolution 1920x1080 can be real HD or an upscaled video. It's really easy to understand that.

23 hours ago, amscity said:

The best option is always to get the video from the original tape with the original quality. Not changing ratios or upscaling. Just the ORIGINAL recording with the less compression possible.

You can't make miracles.

Or... Do you consider this great?

Mariah "remastered" her videos. Upscaled to create an illusion it's HD. The result is really worse than the original SD video! 

Completely fake HD lol

Goodness, what's all these pathetic arguments about it not being true HD! Blah, blah, blah.

Whether upscaled or true HD, I don't care. It's much better than what we had before and it looks great on my 4k TV.

At least Warner or whoever is finally giving us what we want, but people still ain't happy. 

Bottom line is they can only be true 'HD Quality' if they go and find the original 35mm reels and digitize them otherwise it's just an upscale from a lower quality 'SD' source..   My dream is that they do find the reels and do this but i'm dreaming I know :(

It's just annoying that the official sources say it's now available in HD..   It's 'NOT'  it's an upscaled Standard Definition master that's not the same thing.

Warner are probably using the same upscaling software fans are using on this forum but all aside this is the best I’ve seen erotica even if I’m just watching on my phone - the SEX footage will never look HD anyway so this is a bad video example to use . When they get around to uploading videos which currently look like shit now ( I want you and you’ll see for example ) we should get a better idea how good a job they are doing ?

Guest Nobody Knows Me

Even if it is an upscale, at least they haven’t made it look horribly grainy. Mariah’s music video upscales  have been pretty unfortunate in my opinion, although the Tokyo Dome concert was superb.

3 hours ago, The Ghost said:

Bottom line is they can only be true 'HD Quality' if they go and find the original 35mm reels and digitize them otherwise it's just an upscale from a lower quality 'SD' source..   My dream is that they do find the reels and do this but i'm dreaming I know :(

It's just annoying that the official sources say it's now available in HD..   It's 'NOT'  it's an upscaled Standard Definition master that's not the same thing.

The problem is not the 35mm reels. The problem is that many video-clips were edited in video with special effects (for example in this video, the logo of Erotica). So they must recreate the same special effects from the scratch in HD if they scan the original negatives, and edit all again.  That's the problem. 

Anyway the final result of Erotica is really, really good. As I said in my first post, I would buy a Blu-ray with her videography in this quality without any problem. 

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

The problem is not the 35mm reels. The problem is that many video-clips were edited in video with special effects (for example in this video, the logo of Erotica). So they must recreate the same special effects from the scratch in HD if they scan the original negatives, and edit all again.  That's the problem. 

Anyway the final result of Erotica is really, really good. As I said in my first post, I would buy a Blu-ray with her videography in this quality without any problem. 

They can do Star Trek Next Generation :)  they can do Madonna video's..   

• 1 month later...