Something To Remember: 25th Anniversary (Opinions, Tracks, etc)

DRY99O aka RCB

I love the album but I think it would be just perfect if The Look Of Love (beautifully nostalgic) and Spanish Eyes (which was played a lot in Brazil even though it wasn't a single) were included instead of the (time consuming) Orchestral version of I Want You.

In my opinon, this compilation sometimes can feel like too much pasta with too little sauce. It's like something's missing, or was simply - maybe purposely - forgotten.

There is always something that someone would like to see additionally or instead of something. I think it's great in released form even though it's definitely not complete slow tracks collection.

But it should not have been released on one vinyl. This is disaster. This is one thing I would like to change.

Guest Nobody Knows Me

My all-time favourite compilation album, and her most underrated era as well, in my opinion. I think the album flows really well so I don’t think it’s really missing anything, but if there had been an additional EP, I would have included:

The Look of Love

Promise to Try

Pray for Spanish Eyes

Bad Girl

Inside of Me

Guest Nobody Knows Me

Something to Remember was the album that really saved her skin after the Erotica and SEX backlash. It’s absolutely brilliant and she really showcased her vocals.

I can see why "Spanish Eyes", "Promise to Try", and "Inside of Me" were left off.  All three of those are truly beautiful ballads, but I think she was leaning towards romantic balladry.  "Spanish Eyes" is about losing someone to gang violence, and the others are obviously about her mother.  Although now that I'm thinking about it, she did put "Oh Father" on it, so there goes that theory...  "The Look of Love" and "Bad Girl" would both have fit though.  Maybe she just really likes "Oh Father" (its such an incredible song), plus it was a top 20 hit in the U.S., so who knows?

Guest DeeperDeeper
On 10/25/2020 at 7:37 PM, PWCCA said:

I always loved this compilation. It was pretty much everything it needed to be... and it had the right amount of new material 

It was released at the right time as well. I don't think many people of our generation realised that  Madonna was only a celebrity for 9 years when Erotica and Sex released, by the time this compilation was on the market she had just crossed the decade mark which usually signalled a greatest hits album for most artists, but nope M didn't follow up IC, she did something different and gave us something to remember with a ballard compilation titled Something To Remember.