Question

arthuroberlin

2 hours ago, kesiak said:

Not sure about the video but I think it first came to attention in a print interview in mid 90s - either SPIN or NME if I remember correctly, not sure which just now. 

it was known for a long time right? before she spoke about it on video/radio, i think a print interview too. 

Guest DeeperDeeper
55 minutes ago, Enrico said:

If I remember well, she talked about on the Howard Stern Sirius interview in 2015 (anyway, later than Harper's Bazaar), and was very criticized for saying that she was too scared to go the police.

I thought that was very unfair. N.Y.C. was a different place and culture back in the 1970's. 

1 hour ago, Fighter said:

it was known for a long time right? before she spoke about it on video/radio, i think a print interview too. 

Found it. It was NME in December 1995, Something To Remember promo:

----
The one really unsettling image in Sex is the ‘rape fantasy’ in the gym. Were you aware that you had to handle it very carefully, or was it just another photograph?

Madonna looks at me questioningly:
“Where the two schoolboys are attacking me and I’m wearing my Catholic schoolgirl’s uniform?… It was just another fantasy of mine, being overpowered. I have been raped and it’s not an experience I would ever glamourise. But I know that there are a lot of women who have that fantasy where they are overpowered by two men or a group of men.”

The term ‘rape fantasy’ is an oxymoron anyway. Rape means to take by force. against somebody’s will.

“Exactly. In my photograph it’s obviously completely consensual. Everybody wants to do it. I have a smile on my face because I am having a good time, I suppose it’s not really a rape fantasy if the woman wants to do it. It’s just a case of pretending not to be interested when you really are.”

I didn’t know that you’d been raped.

“You’re the first person I’ve ever told.”

Was it a date rape situation, someone you knew?

“No… a complete stranger.”

Did you get help afterwards?

“No. I was very young and I didn’t know anybody. I’d just moved to New York and… It was a very educational experience.”

Madonna grimaces and falls silent.

Would you rather stop talking about this?

“I don’t want to talk about it only in that…” she pauses, choosing her words carefully, “I don’t want to get into this Oprah Winfrey/Sinead O’Connor thing of, ‘Oh, everybody, all these horrible things have happened to me!’ I don’t want to make it an issue. I think that I’ve had what a lot of people would consider to be horrific experiences in my life. But I don’t want people to feel sorry for me because I don’t.

“It happened a long time ago so over the years I’ve come to terms with it. In a way it was a real eye-openning experience. I’d only lived in Now York for a year and I was very young, very trusting of people. I came from the mid-West and I was walking around New York City like everyone was my friend. That experience completely turned me round in terms of becoming much more street smart and much more savvy. It’s that old expression, y’know, everything than doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. I was very disturbed about it afterwards but I knew that I couldn’t go back home. There was just no way that I was going back home.”

How could you bear to turn that experience into art? Surely touched a nerve in you?

“No, because in the photograph it isn’t me being raped. As I said, it was something I wanted. I’m playing the coquette, the virgin or whatever, and they are the bad boys. They take me but only because I give them the opportunity to.”

Madonna stares at me pointedly to nuke sure that I understand and then prepares to close the subject.

“The thing about what happened to me is that.. although it was devastating at the time, I know that is made me a much stronger person in retrospect. It forced me to be a survivor. That’s all there is to it”

Such is the dehumanisation of Madonna that some people may deduce she is capable of using even this experience as a means to produce more column inches. Not that she cares, she’s more than used to it.

“Some people out there think everything I do is a publicity stunt,” she points out, wearily, “they think when I go to the bathroom it’s a publicity stunt.”
----