deathproof

Tidal - Master Quality

Just recently came across a post on Twitter that Madonna’s albums on Tidal have now been updated to “Master” quality, which I don’t exactly know what that means.

But apparently the sound is suppose to be a million times better.

Anyone know more about this? Or has a Tidal account to test out?

EmEg5WAWMAULJn7?format=jpg&name=medium

13 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Just recently came across a post on Twitter that Madonna’s albums on Tidal have now been updated to “Master” quality, which I don’t exactly know what that means.

EmEg5WAWMAULJn7?format=jpg&name=medium

I was reading about it in reddit the other day:

53 minutes ago, deathproof said:

In audio, you really need a High-End equipment to notice the big difference between formats.

With ours regulars Hi-Fi equipments, we barely notice the difference. You need to pay attention while the song is playing.

In Computers, TV, Mp3 players, or tablets, the difference is none. 

Imagine a 'MASTER" like the RH Album where the files are compressed and not enjoyable at all - pretty much like the 2001 Remastered -  the LAP CD is already a digital recording and best listened from a Japanese pressing and unless we get a new LAP in 24bit I don't see the point....

I saw that too this morning and got myself another TIDAL subscription and downloaded (using a 3rd party software) these supposed "Master" files. Well, the file does say its a 24-bit quality, however it's still a 44.1 khz decoding into a 48 khz sound and I compared the waves to the CD rips and they're exactly the same, and obviously nothing has been remastered or improved...

I think TIDAL just grabbed those CD rips and just re-encoded them into a ghostly 24 bit file.

The only ones that are truly remastered and are 192khz high quality are the first 3 albums and Who's That Girl but that was uploaded a while ago already.

On 11/5/2020 at 6:57 PM, artlover said:

I wouldn't call it "not worth saving" but "hard to explain in an accessible form". 

I don't understand it enough either but it's definitely worth reading about.

It's the musical format of homeopathy

They are using the signal we can hear (degrading it) to hide and decode information that we can't hear. It's taking hi-res music and compressing it defeating its entire purpose. There's no reason to keep MQA over regular WAV/FLAC from the CD.

On 11/6/2020 at 4:02 AM, anton5000 said:

I think TIDAL just grabbed those CD rips and just re-encoded them into a ghostly 24 bit file.

The only ones that are truly remastered and are 192khz high quality are the first 3 albums and Who's That Girl but that was uploaded a while ago already.

I'm not sure, but  I've read somewhere that Like A Virgin was a "Digital Recording" at 44100 Hz, 16 bits. So only "Madonna", "Who's That Girl" and "True Blue" are the only ones with a true master at 192000 Hz because their original masters were analog.

One question: Anyone knows the settings for the "Digital Recording" of "Like A Prayer"? 44100/48000/96000/192000 HZ? 16/24/32 bits?

17 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

I'm not sure, but  I've read somewhere that Like A Virgin was a "Digital Recording" at 44100 Hz, 16 bits. So only "Madonna", "Who's That Girl" and "True Blue" are the only ones with a true master at 192000 Hz because their original masters were analog.

One question: Anyone knows the settings for the "Digital Recording" of "Like A Prayer"? 44100/48000/96000/192000 HZ? 16/24/32 bits?

I highly doubt Like a Virgin was digital recording back in 1984, and True Blue '86 and WTG '87 still in analog. Seems like Like a Prayer was the first digital recording, hence the text on the front cover advertising it.

This is an interesting article about Like a Virgin album remaster: http://www.bobtalks.co.uk/blog/provenance/provenance-series-1-madonna/#

48 minutes ago, anton5000 said:

I highly doubt Like a Virgin was digital recording back in 1984, and True Blue '86 and WTG '87 still in analog. Seems like Like a Prayer was the first digital recording, hence the text on the front cover advertising it.

Check the discussion about the "Like A Virgin" Master. They talk about "Like A Virgin" being a digital recording (16-bit/44.1 master) : https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/madonna-hdtracks.283487/#post-7627716

3 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

Check the discussion about the "Like A Virgin" Master. They talk about "Like A Virgin" being a digital recording (16-bit/44.1 master) : https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/madonna-hdtracks.283487/#post-7627716

Yeah, and the Japanese edition of Like a Virgin actually had the label of "digital recording"

o0282025014734886748.jpg

On 11/6/2020 at 4:02 AM, anton5000 said:

I saw that too this morning and got myself another TIDAL subscription and downloaded (using a 3rd party software) these supposed "Master" files. Well, the file does say its a 24-bit quality, however it's still a 44.1 khz decoding into a 48 khz sound and I compared the waves to the CD rips and they're exactly the same, and obviously nothing has been remastered or improved...

TIDAL (and every other music service) work with whatever the label sends to them, they don't rip CDs.

For example, "Pray For Spanish Eyes" has a click/pop at the start and that is present in every music platform.

Maybe they asked Warner for 24-bit quality files and Warner just did that, who knows.

I think Qobuz is a good place to see if an album or single is truly Hi-Res: https://www.qobuz.com/es-es/interpreter/madonna/download-streaming-albums

If there's only CD quality available... it's not.

TIDAL's "Master Quality" isn't really 24 bit though, it's MQA. Which is equivalent to 13bit unless your device is capable of decoding MQA, and then the result is 24bit with lossy compression. Assuming the master was 24bit in the first place. It's completely pointless.

Digital recording doesn't change a single thing about the fact that we could enjoy a perfect remaster of LAP (as they did with LAV).

Digital tapes were a stupid so called improvement in the eighties until early nineties to make something new from analog tape. But it's just a technic of recording. Purist will always say the analog tape are far away the best warmth sound ever (and I totally agree). But Warner can pay a good remaster if they use the Master digital tape (even it digital master is still a tape). Sound improvement could be amazing. But they don't.

LAP is the only album that really needs to be remastered.

They did a very good job for 3 first album.

On 11/19/2020 at 3:59 AM, Aiwa08 said:

LAV does not exist in HD. It peaks at 44100 even in the “HD” version from HDtracks. Also the version WB gave them is a complete mess. Many of the tracks, especially Stay, are very bad transfers. Very muffled and flat, similar to those 1995 CD singles

4 minutes ago, shakeyerdix said:

Digital recording doesn't change a single thing about the fact that we could enjoy a perfect remaster of LAP (as they did with LAV).

Digital tapes were a stupid so called improvement in the eighties until early nineties to make something new from analog tape. But it's just a technic of recording. Purist will always say the analog tape are far away the best warmth sound ever (and I totally agree). But Warner can pay a good remaster if they use the Master digital tape (even it digital master is still a tape). Sound improvement could be amazing. But they don't.

They did a very good job for 3 first album.

That’s subjective. To my ear the 2001 remasters are awful. Too loud and compressed. I much prefer the HD transfers and in case of LAV the first CD pressing 

57 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

That’s subjective. To my ear the 2001 remasters are awful. Too loud and compressed. I much prefer the HD transfers and in case of LAV the first CD pressing 

I agree. The 2001 remasters are very bad.

1 hour ago, shakeyerdix said:

I agree. LAP is the only one that really needs a remaster (more bass, please, like in the Japanese CD-Singles Box Set)

And maybe, maybe, ROL. It needs a little more treble. After ROL, the problem is the "Loudness War". We need the rest of albums edited without the fucking loudness war.

2 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

I agree. LAP is the only one that really needs a remaster (more bass, please, like in the Japanese CD-Singles Box Set)

And maybe, maybe, ROL. It needs a little more treble. After ROL, the problem is the "Loudness War". We need the rest of albums edited without the fucking loudness war.

I don’t get why all of her albums aren’t available in HD. I’d love to get rid of all the post 2000 CD rips