Rumor : New album / Update page 23

Redha DBL

3 hours ago, ShantiAshtangi said:

Don’t get me started on that self-absorbed documentary where she was sitting at a table, smoking (girl, you hate smoking), surrounded by several people she never introduced, who never got to speak for themselves and who looked uncomfortable the entire time. 
I‘d rather have her perform on Ellen tbh 

Ahahahahahaha! This post wins!

3 hours ago, ShantiAshtangi said:

Don’t get me started on that self-absorbed documentary where she was sitting at a table, smoking (girl, you hate smoking), surrounded by several people she never introduced, who never got to speak for themselves and who looked uncomfortable the entire time. 
I‘d rather have her perform on Ellen tbh 

Oh dear, all that comedy was so staged and as fake as her wig... 

1 hour ago, Craigypants said:

True. Even worse, I saw Cher in 1990 [Jesus Christ 1990!?], She was onstage for 40 minutes. Most people booed her off. I'm not kidding either. Not happy?She lipped all 10 songs.

Went to Cher's concert in Melbourne 2 yrs ago. It was a flop and the entire upper tier section of the arena was covered up so that they could hide empty seats.

Edited by Josh Wang (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Enrico said:

As fake as the Martha Graham story  :laughing:

Yesss! I've never believed that Martha Graham story. But of course, Ms Graham isn't alive to corroborate it, how convenient. M is notorious for constantly re-writing/reframing her own story. Sadly, it rarely works in her favour. Hasn't she noticed yet? 

9 hours ago, RebelMe said:

I mean, maybe she was always this way but we never had the opportunity to be aware of if because back in the day there was no social media and she was a distant figure, even for her fans. Did we make assumptions about what she was and is, and constructed a character that never existed? :thinker:

Edit:

I find myself really thoughtful sometimes, because the Madonna that I started enjoying, following and appreciating was really different from the Madonna that we have today, and it bugs me a lot.  I like her since 2005, and she's totally different, the persona, from then to now, it's really intriguing. When I compare her to other singers that I follow, I notice It even more. I cannot point another singer that had the same shift that she had, and I like Britney Spears since 2006, when the was going to a tough period, and Kylie Minogue, that had really difficult periods as well. And I'm not saying this because she listens to music that I'm not particularly into, but the persistent stubbornness, lack of notion, the spread of fake news and lack of focus since MDNA. 

I wonder if you're being rather unfair? We all change. Many of your faves have changed, I'm sure — but perhaps they give the public a more marketeable/comfortable/conventional image? Madonna has changed a lot over the years, whether you were comfortable with her different past personas or not, that's another story. Arguably, the 2000s gave us some of Madonna's most successful and consistent years; she delivered great music and seemed very accessible then. Yet, she was also at odds with many of the "Madonnas" of the past... she constantly dismissed her Erotica/Sex book era in interviews, and even tried to distance herself from a lot of her previous accomplishments (as she usually does, anyway). For a few years, Madonna suddenly was this conservative married lady, who went to pubs and who was actually far removed from the bold pro-LGBT activist we saw earlier in the 80s and 90s, or even in more recent years. She seemed more like a woman in love willing to fit into her husband's mould, rather her authentic self — THAT, to me, was a more troubling version of Madonna than the current one. I would also argue that is probably not a good idea to judge "who she is" these days based on what you see on her social media. Most of it is staged, either for fun or also to get a lot of reactions. And of course, she has been unwise at times and posted ridiculous stuff, but she has moved on, and so should we. 

You mention Britney out of all people... You realise the poor thing hasn't been herself since at least 2007? Whatever the current legal situation with her dad, it is clear she suffers from mental health issues, and that fame hasn't been her best friend. You can find a few of her interviews pre-crisis were she was already breaking down and showing signs of things going bad for her. Madonna, has at least, always kept her sanity and never allowed "the business" to destroy her spirit — That's quite remarkable. Has she reached a point where she truly doesn't care? Have the successes of many years given her the sense that she can actually be more artistic in her creative output, rather than commercially sound? Does she refuse to be imprisoned by her fans' expectations of who she ought to be? Has she slowed down a little for the sake of her children, and also because, why not? I don't know, it may be a mix of these and other things. And quite frankly, her business, her career, her choices.

Personally, I enjoy the ride. I'm constantly fascinated by her career and changes — call it, "reinventions", or whatever. I'm always surprised that the same woman who sang "Future" or "Unapologetic Bitch" is actually the same one who at some point sang "Like a Virgin" and "Jimmy, Jimmy". That's a full life, indeed. Not many artists out there are as open-minded and adventurous as she has been. Moreover, many stay in their own niche/lanes, stay cosy in the boxes society and their own fans have built for them, and truly end up becoming the ultimate sterotypes of their "eras" and genres. Of course, I would love another number 1 album, or even single, but I also find a lot of comfort in the depth of her creativity and yes, stubborness. It is often that character "flaw" that has given her the courage to deliver some of her best stuff. Don't get me wrong, I also agree with many fans on how bad and frustrating the whole Madame X campaign/promo was. For an album that seemed to be so packed with love and creativity on her behalf, it was also full of missed opportunities and, surprisingly, lack of vision along the way. 

17 hours ago, ShantiAshtangi said:

She barely promoted it, though. We had one performance of Medellin and one of Future. That was it. 
And while many artists played little gigs at home during the pandemic, she couldn’t be bothered to have David and Mercy accompany her on guitar and piano for a performance of Killers or Extreme Occident or any other of the more mellow songs from Madame X. 

Don't forget that she performed for the important 50 years of Stonewall Pride at NY, but her and her team didn't bother to upload it on Youtube or somewhere, so it's like it never happened. 

11 minutes ago, Future Lover said:

Although the Martha Graham story seems fake, I think I saw a news article/interview from long before the album release that recounts the same incident. Maybe I've just gaslit myself into believing it? Gotta find the article...

I don’t think so. If such a thing existed some fan somewhere would have dug it up by now. The story is clearly fake as it changed through the course of the MX promotion.

1 hour ago, madfan13_86 said:

I wonder if you're being rather unfair? We all change. Many of your faves have changed, I'm sure — but perhaps they give the public a more marketeable/comfortable/conventional image? Madonna has changed a lot over the years, whether you were comfortable with her different past personas or not, that's another story. Arguably, the 2000s gave us some of Madonna's most successful and consistent years; she delivered great music and seemed very accessible then. Yet, she was also at odds with many of the "Madonnas" of the past... she constantly dismissed her Erotica/Sex book era in interviews, and even tried to distance herself from a lot of her previous accomplishments (as she usually does, anyway). For a few years, Madonna suddenly was this conservative married lady, who went to pubs and who was actually far removed from the bold pro-LGBT activist we saw earlier in the 80s and 90s, or even in more recent years. She seemed more like a woman in love willing to fit into her husband's mould, rather her authentic self — THAT, to me, was a more troubling version of Madonna than the current one. I would also argue that is probably not a good idea to judge "who she is" these days based on what you see on her social media. Most of it is staged, either for fun or also to get a lot of reactions. And of course, she has been unwise at times and posted ridiculous stuff, but she has moved on, and so should we. 

You mention Britney out of all people... You realise the poor thing hasn't been herself since at least 2007? Whatever the current legal situation with her dad, it is clear she suffers from mental health issues, and that fame hasn't been her best friend. You can find a few of her interviews pre-crisis were she was already breaking down and showing signs of things going bad for her. Madonna, has at least, always kept her sanity and never allowed "the business" to destroy her spirit — That's quite remarkable. Has she reached a point where she truly doesn't care? Have the successes of many years given her the sense that she can actually be more artistic in her creative output, rather than commercially sound? Does she refuse to be imprisoned by her fans' expectations of who she ought to be? Has she slowed down a little for the sake of her children, and also because, why not? I don't know, it may be a mix of these and other things. And quite frankly, her business, her career, her choices.

Personally, I enjoy the ride. I'm constantly fascinated by her career and changes — call it, "reinventions", or whatever. I'm always surprised that the same woman who sang "Future" or "Unapologetic Bitch" is actually the same one who at some point sang "Like a Virgin" and "Jimmy, Jimmy". That's a full life, indeed. Not many artists out there are as open-minded and adventurous as she has been. Moreover, many stay in their own niche/lanes, stay cosy in the boxes society and their own fans have built for them, and truly end up becoming the ultimate sterotypes of their "eras" and genres. Of course, I would love another number 1 album, or even single, but I also find a lot of comfort in the depth of her creativity and yes, stubborness. It is often that character "flaw" that has given her the courage to deliver some of her best stuff. Don't get me wrong, I also agree with many fans on how bad and frustrating the whole Madame X campaign/promo was. For an album that seemed to be so packed with love and creativity on her behalf, it was also full of missed opportunities and, surprisingly, lack of vision along the way. 

Well, I have some points on that

Fist: I'm pretty disappointed to a woman that have been doing bad marketing for her material since MDNA. First, she calls another singer song "Reductive", behaving like she was above all, loosing many of fans because a stupid fight with another talented artist. After that, she explicit saying that her songs leaking is the exact same as rape, and the list still goes one, till recent months, using covid to promote her products, spreading fake news about vaccines and on and on. That is what I'm saying, this kind of childish behaviour. 

Second: Yes, I mentioned Britney Spears, and I still stand for what I've said. I follow her, I know her issues, I am in the place where #FreeBritney started, I have read the legal documents, legal battles and why she's trying to be freed of the conservatorship. But I will not get along and start a discussion here about Britney. When it's time, she will do it herself. 

Third: I enjoy the ride as well, one of the things that, when I started enjoying her, are her reinventions and shifting from one genre to another. But she's still the same woman, with great artistic ideas and knows the game and how to play it, doesn't matter if her hair is platinum blonde, black, pink, short or long. I'm not particularly bothered by her catalog, even though, not appreciating some of her songs. But what concerns me is her attitudes, the Madonna that is on instagram, posting her everyday life. Behaving as a child. 

She's a human being that have issues as we have, but some parts of her life could and should be just kept private, as the Madame X songs were doing production, to avoid someone leaking them and spoil the material.

9 hours ago, Fighter said:

Madonna was pretty immersed in late 70s-early 80s New York culture where hip hop originated. Her albums including her first few are heavily influenced by black culture. The first album and Like A Virgin especially were very rnb influenced. The record company even toyed with the misconception she was a black artist before people ever saw her face, remember the single cover for Everybody? she continued to have latin and african american influences throughout the 80s and then obviously Erotica and Bedtime Stories which are two of the heaviest on the rnb / hip hop influence in her discography. And so on. She has featured a lot of black influence throughout her career. It's obvious that like many artists, she has a wide range of musical interests, why would she stop at rap and hip hop? why would she say "not this"? That would be a bit strange for someone like her who likes so many different things and has had so many black influences. One thing I would say that maybe she doesn't like is the strong misogyny that was present in the past in some of the rap culture, but aside from that I don't see any reason why she would dislike the artform. Also rap and hip hop is not only big in the US in 2020...  maybe if we were talking in the 2000s, then ok... but for years now they've been among the most succesful and influential genres in music. 

Well, I  have to agree with you, even though, I still stand saying that hiphop is not a big thing outside US, but it doesn't mean the R&B, Disco Music and another (so rich) genres heavily influenced by the community are not.  But, still, what I was focusing on, and still stand as well is: If she wants to fight against haters, racists, it's not by posting more hiphop songs, but doing it the right way, like putting music out there that are explicit about it, like she did during the AIDS pandemic, on the cover of LAP and mentioning her best friend in In This Life, in Erotica. Doing a great song with African singers that are screaming to spread awareness. Giving voice to them, who on their own, would have never reached the level of audience that Madonna have. We can disagree on many things, but I think we all want her to be successful (not saying that she needs to have a #1, but to have her respect back) and spread the right kind of media, break the taboos that still standing on and impose herself as a performer that is not slowing dow, not being defining by it, even having 60 yo. She's not Joan Of Arc and someone said, but she's a entertainer that have a great potential that still needs to be explored. But she still knows, is aware of that, or, does she really want to continue being it? 

I would prefer if she stops now, than another year of #soons for the Madame X broadcast, plus 3 years more of toilets, Kid Cudis, Kanyes, Kardashians and 0 interest on experimenting with music. She believes that she thinks outside of the box, but she's really inside of it, surrounded by really superficial people, and yes, her behaviour is childish and 0 artistic. 

She likes to call herself 'art' and pretend that what she's doing is 'art' but being in a toilet all day seems more that she prefers 'fart' than anything outside of it. And it's ok if she likes farts and twerking, but hey, don't call it art. 

All of us here thought amazing things that could happen with the Madame X Tour when it was announced... and what she did was a predictable Kevin Antunes mess, with 100 dancers as always, and making the people wait for hours, or not knowing if they will have the concert that they paid, or even the money back. That's not ART. 

300 filters, cheap artwork done with selfies and using Aldo Diaz are not ART. 

She has the money to do art if she wants. I know a lot of people that do amazing things with a budget of 20 € and a phone camera. Kitchens, twins screaming, nails, butts, gardens, toilets etc etc are not ART. 

Also: an entertainer knows how to deliver during the bad times. Because is their job, and they should feel inspired to make people going on, enjoy life and have hope. Twins, bf, Instagram, marihuana, and Lola's armits are not ART. And as I said, good if she doesn't want to continue, but don't call yourself revolutionary, artist, and visionary if u have 0 interest on those things and u are more a Mc Donald's menu than a Van Gogh type of artist. 

54 minutes ago, RebelMe said:

Well, I  have to agree with you, even though, I still stand saying that hiphop is not a big thing outside US, but it doesn't mean the R&B, Disco Music and another (so rich) genres heavily influenced by the community are not.  But, still, what I was focusing on, and still stand as well is: If she wants to fight against haters, racists, it's not by posting more hiphop songs, but doing it the right way, like putting music out there that are explicit about it, like she did during the AIDS pandemic, on the cover of LAP and mentioning her best friend in In This Life, in Erotica. Doing a great song with African singers that are screaming to spread awareness. Giving voice to them, who on their own, would have never reached the level of audience that Madonna have. We can disagree on many things, but I think we all want her to be successful (not saying that she needs to have a #1, but to have her respect back) and spread the right kind of media, break the taboos that still standing on and impose herself as a performer that is not slowing dow, not being defining by it, even having 60 yo. She's not Joan Of Arc and someone said, but she's a entertainer that have a great potential that still needs to be explored. But she still knows, is aware of that, or, does she really want to continue being it? 

I honestly have no problem with her releasing songs with rap or hip hop influences. BIM is still the most succesful single of the last 15 years for her... so I don't think it's hurting her, maybe with people who listen to adult contemporary or other genres, who have a specific dislike to rap and hip hop... but I don't think she should be pandering to them. Of course I want stuff that is better than Champagne Rose but one bad song doesn't define a genre... There are many ways to fight racism and inclusivity and diversity is one of them too, and if people don't like it, then I'm sure she'll release diverse music like she's always done and even when I dislike songs on her albums I always find others that are very enjoyable... but let's be honest, some fans haven't even liked the last 3/4 even 5/6 albums, not the ballads, not the dance tracks, not the electronic ones, not the ones with rap...... there's a portion of her fanbase who never like anything and think she peaked with Ray Of Light or even before. :ay: And they're usually the ones who rag on her for the rap/hip hop stuff like she's out here doing a lot of it, when it's a couple of songs per album at most, for me if a song is good then it's good no matter the genre. 

53 minutes ago, nito84bcn said:

I would prefer if she stops now, than another year of #soons for the Madame X broadcast, plus 3 years more of toilets, Kid Cudis, Kanyes, Kardashians and 0 interest on experimenting with music. She believes that she thinks outside of the box, but she's really inside of it, surrounded by really superficial people, and yes, her behaviour is childish and 0 artistic. 

She likes to call herself 'art' and pretend that what she's doing is 'art' but being in a toilet all day seems more than she prefers 'fart' than anything outside of it. And it's ok if she likes farts and twerking, but hey, don't call it art. 

All of us here thought amazing things that could happen with the Madame X Tour when it was announced... and what she did was a predictable Kevin Antunes mess, with 100 dancers as always, and making the people wait for hours, or not knowing if they will have the concert that they paid, or even the money back. That's not ART. 

300 filters, cheap artwork done with selfies and using Aldo Diaz are not ART. 

She has the money to do art if she wants. I know a lot of people that do amazing things with a budget of 20 € and a phone camera. Kitchens, twins screaming, nails, butts, gardens, toilets etc etc are not ART. 

Also: an entertainer knows how to deliver during the bad times. Because is their job, and they should feel inspired to make people going on, enjoy life and have hope. Twins, bf, Instagram, marihuana, and Lola's armits are not ART. And as I said, good if she doesn't want to continue, but don't call yourself revolutionary, artist, and visionary if u have 0 interest on those things and u are more a Mc Donald's menu than a Van Gogh type of artist. 

Art is supposed to be enjoyed, and being a fan of an artist's work is supposed to be enjoyable. If I'm not happy with an artist I'll take a break, and I actually do that all the time.. but also don't forget her Art is still there, her past albums, tours, videos... they're still there to be enjoyed and explored... :heart: a "Van Gogh" type of artist will do things when they're inspired and ready, not when people want it or rushing to cash in on a situation like a pandemic and their work can still be enjoyed after a long time and not thrown away like McDonalds leftovers. I feel like her past work is always amazing, but I also loved Madame X and can still enjoy it like it's brand new (which it still is tbh):luv:

6 minutes ago, Fighter said:

Art is supposed to be enjoyed, and being a fan of an artist's work is supposed to be enjoyable. If I'm not happy with an artist I'll take a break, and I actually do that all the time.. but also don't forget her Art is still there, her past albums, tours, videos... they're still there to be enjoyed and explored... :heart: a "Van Gogh" type of artist will do things when they're inspired and ready, not when people want it or rushing to cash in on a situation like a pandemic and their work can still be enjoyed after a long time and not thrown away like McDonalds leftovers. I feel like her past work is always amazing, but I also loved Madame X and can still enjoy it like it's brand new (which it still is tbh):luv:

I agree with everything of what you said! But I'm talking more about her ego / social media, and how she believes that everything that she post there is art or revolutionary. And nobody cares anymore. 

She can be unispired for 4 years, but at least talk about her past achievements, tours, what happened during the recording of a song, quotes, photoshoots... she has a lot of material to have a really interesting social media exposure tbh. That's what I meant. 

Also her exposure / aproachment during the pandemic times was a little out of place. Nothing that a professional entertainer would do. It was almost insulting tbh. 

On 12/27/2020 at 10:13 PM, Let'sGetUnconsciousHoney said:

I wonder who the new producer from February will be (if this is true). I want her to finally call Max Martin. No idea why that never happened before. He's guaranteed to provide hit material. 

max martin? please, no!

24 minutes ago, nito84bcn said:

I agree with everything of what you said! But I'm talking more about her ego / social media, and how she believes that everything that she post there is art or revolutionary. And nobody cares anymore. 

She can be unispired for 4 years, but at least talk about her past achievements, tours, what happened during the recording of a song, quotes, photoshoots... she has a lot of material to have a really interesting social media exposure tbh. That's what I meant. 

Also her exposure / aproachment during the pandemic times was a little out of place. Nothing that a professional entertainer would do. It was almost insulting tbh. 

idk if she believed that or shes just trying to live her life and have fun, be a mum a girlfriend.. idc honestly as long as her actual work is still good :) and she pulled off madame x so im not too worried even with the messy tour...