Rumor : New album / Update page 23

Redha DBL

2 hours ago, Let'sGetUnconsciousHoney said:

My sister's friends only know Ghosttown lol it was played a lot in Italy

My co-workers from America (who are in their 20s) don't even know Like a prayer

Your coworkers live in a very myopic world.  I know classic musicians and their music well and it isn't because I grew up during those times.  To not know Patsy Cline, Donna Summer, Elvis or the Beatles is unthinkable.  Your coworkers are not very well rounded.  

43 minutes ago, Sultrysully said:

Your coworkers live in a very myopic world.  I know classic musicians and their music well and it isn't because I grew up during those times.  To not know Patsy Cline, Donna Summer, Elvis or the Beatles is unthinkable.  Your coworkers are not very well rounded.  

And here comes the real probem for me: she undoubtebly achieved what all of her equals just touched lightly in the 80s, 90s and 00s, and yet, today, is she really comparable to Elvis or the Beatles? Of course for me she absolutely is, no doubt, in terms of cultural impact, research contribution, quality and variety of the music. But this is the real measure of an artist legacy, especially of her stature: is she rembered and told like our parents and friends did about Elvis and the Beatles with many of us? And how, what for, what does she represent in the collective imagination? And how much of this is influenced by her more recent choices in terms of image and musical direction (also about this: I loved both Rebel Heart and Madame X, wich I find underated and penalized by image mistakes and some random productions, levelled to a kind of childish taste I was really never able to understand). 

6 hours ago, Sultrysully said:

To not know Patsy Cline, Donna Summer, Elvis or the Beatles is unthinkable.  Your coworkers are not very well rounded

I don't think this the best example.

I worked in a music store for 10 years. I couldn't name you a song of hers. I probably heard the songs but I wouldn't be able to associate any song to her. 

And I could probably only count on 1 hand the number of times I sold any of her CDs in those 10 years. But I remember many were big box sets  and I know many were distributed by BMG/Sony since I did the ordering for CDs that needed to be restocked after a sale.

On 1/3/2021 at 4:46 PM, Glindathegood said:

Why is it embarrassing? They are far from a critically acclaimed band. And Money from Nothing has been banned from Canadian radio.
Wouldn’t it be nice if people didn’t have to be bombarded with the f word?  At the end of the day, it’s my taste in music which I don’t see how can be embarrassing. 
People on here constantly bash all hip hop and trap and that is totally fine, but apparently a dad rock dinosaur band like Dire Straits can’t be criticized. 

No it is only allowed to trash and put down Madonna here and hip hop & RnB. Havn't you read the thread ? It should be renamed though since it is no longer about  (fake) new album rumours but about ex fans who can't let go.

The infamous relationship between the Gen Z and the old '80s stars...My nightmare. I'm a member of the generation that Don McLean could describe as a generation lost in space/with no time left to start again, the small generation of people who were born in 1998-1999, often forgotten by society. I mean, we're different from people who were born in the '90s, but we're also different from who was born in the '00s: we're eternally hanging between the past and the present, between Madonna and Britney Spears, it's not an easy life ?. But what's interesting about us is that lots of us are fans of old rock band and old popstars (one of my best friends was an avid fan of Kiss and Led Zeppelin, since we still were at the elementary school, around 2005-2006, several of my classmates at the high school are fans of Red Hot Chili Peppers), mainly because we grew up listening to the radio and our parents' CDs. When I was 6, in 2005, every single time my uncle turned the radio on, it played only Hung Up or Like a Virgin (I'm not kidding) and I always shot questions at my mother about the singer: I was a little fan of her although I wasn't aware of it. Internet gave us the big opportunity to improve our knowledge about music and I remember that the first times I used YouTube I liked watching old performances of Beatles, ABBA, Madonna and so on. Lots of my classmates instead became interested in current music. What I want to say is that we, as a generation, have been deeply influenced by our parents' tastes about music: when she was a young lady, my mother listened to Paul Young, Enya, Madonna (at least up to 1989), Tracy Chapman and I absorbed all of these things from her. It's obvious that all of us, when we grew up, decided to go into what was more interesting for us: lots of people chose current music, other people, like me, decided to go into the '80s-'90s, but we all have the same musical background, mainly '60s-'90s, and we're not afraid to show the world we like old but gold music. Lots of members of younger generations are instead frightened to seem to be out of fashion if they listen to old good music: they think they are required to be always on the cut of the edge and this problematic aspect affects their music tastes: they don't listen to old music not because they don't like it, simply because they label it as old and for them being old is not admissible (when I was attending my final year at the high school, at the bus stop lots of kids, around 14-15 years old, looked at me as if I was an ancient member of the society). I'm very scared by this situation and confused.

But, there is good news. One of my dearest friends last year told me that for her exam about ethnomusicology at the university she had to study a whole book about our beloved singer, a book where her videos, her songs were analyzed and dissected, along with her social impact. Then she said me that one of the question of the exam was about the Justify My Love video: I can assure you that when she mentioned that video all the other girls that were with us at the gym started to scream because they knew the song (they're around my age, 20-22). Her impact is not in doubt, her name is already written on the pages of the history of music, nothing will erase it. The coming years will clarify her status as a benchmark and pioneer, not just in music but also in social issues, and they will help us to understand the significance of her works in these troubled years. You're not a legend if you can't catch younger fans with your older songs. That's what she did with me and I'll be forever grateful to be able to share this crazy trip we call life with her music. 

Edited by Loki (see edit history)

22 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

I guess it depends on what you mean by folk pop. To me that means something like Taylor Swift’s Folklore and Evermore. I can’t see songs like that turned into remixes.

To put things in perspective:

a ballad is about 50 bpm 

a mid tempo song like Secret 100 bpm

Folklore album songs range from 75-152 bpm

Frozen has great danceable mid tempo remixes. Dance music doesn’t mean only cha cha gay circuit “house” music. 

Maybe she lost her iPhone lanyard in the sand. And is looking for it. Rolling around. Thinking of Pepe... or... PeePee... awaiting his controlling soul...only to find her bikini is somewhat tighter in the back... lost in her crack... she pours a Rose... the ice bath water runs red.... a large black ‘X’ replaces the doorknobs... the twins riding around on big wheels... and the background music seems to resemble a somber Dear Jessie... iPhone lanyard lost...

Sorry! Must have dozed off...:redface:

41 minutes ago, Andymad said:

Maybe she lost her iPhone lanyard in the sand. And is looking for it. Rolling around. Thinking of Pepe... or... PeePee... awaiting his controlling soul...only to find her bikini is somewhat tighter in the back... lost in her crack... she pours a Rose... the ice bath water runs red.... a large black ‘X’ replaces the doorknobs... the twins riding around on big wheels... and the background music seems to resemble a somber Dear Jessie... iPhone lanyard lost...

Sorry! Must have dozed off...:redface:

Lol!