Rumor : New album / Update page 23

Redha DBL

Guest DeeperDeeper
14 minutes ago, steady75 said:

I honestly think this needs to take a different approach. The public’s affection for her is not at a high like Eltons and Freddies. A soundtrack won’t be a success off the back of a film because a film won’t be a smash success without her team putting a lot of work into rectifying her public image. I just don’t think people will go and see a Madonna biopic considering her public appearances and antics over the last few years. She’s not likeable enough even in an eccentric way like Elton is. Elton is funny in his odd little way. Madonna turns people off which is a shame because she’s brilliant but this rather odd version of herself she’s created in the last few years is not a good look. I don’t believe it’s who she really is either. 
For us fans this will amazing but I don’t see a more general appeal to be honest. 
She needs a major public persona overhaul to shift the units. More than post Erotica or American Life. People aren’t angry at her. They’ve just switched off... which is worse. 
The film could be a mega flop. 

You nail it so well. 

At the same time that's why I think an autobiography will be a better avenue to approach and as you say a good way to rectify her image. 

I think 99% of the media/public negativity Madonna gets is misogyny. It's usually about, "how dare she be successful and powerful after all these years - she's over 60 and a *gulp* woman! She should just retire and die". It's really disgusting how she gets ridiculed and treated. Then what Madonna tends to do is react defensively and ramps it up to 100 which winds up the detractors even more. And the war escalates.

Equivalent males in the industry are never treated the same way. They are revered and idolised.

But who cares - she's still on top of her industry after nearly 4 decades. She doesn't need to compromise to please anyone.

Did people really have a good image of Elton prior to the movie though?  A lot of people associate him with drugs, bitching at other artists and diva tantrums at least in recent years. The movie by focusing on his younger years when he had hits rehabilitated his image. 
I remember watching this documentary called Tiaras and Tantrums that showed him in a really negative light. The movie definitely toned down his diva side and smoothed out the rough edges.

Guest DeeperDeeper
5 hours ago, stevemic said:

I think 99% of the media/public negativity Madonna gets is misogyny.

I don't agree. 

Her eccentric behaviour is the reason for the criticism and her recent appropriation of white feminism is why she labels any negative criticism as misogyny. If she kept on producing progressive work and didn't act like Edina Monsoon then I'd say it was 100% misogynist. 

When I look at Kate Bush and her Before The Dawn concert or Laurie Anderson and her virtual reality work I keep thinking this is the kind of path Madonna should be exploring. 

16 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I don't agree. 

Her eccentric behaviour and recent appropriation of white feminism is why she labels any negative criticism as misogyny. If she kept on producing progressive work and she didn't act like Edina Monsoon then I'd say it was 100% misogynist. 

When I look at Kate Bush and her Before The Dawn concert or Laurie Anderson and her virtual reality work I keep thinking this is the kind of path Madonna should be exploring. 

How has she appropriated white feminism? She has been very supportive of Black Lives Matter even going to a protest. 

20 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Elton has the Cher affect. He's just who he is and always has been. There's a familiarity in their outspoken and kooky behaviour that's reassuring. Madonna unfortunately has made a rod for her own back with her reinvention tactics. The public are not dumb, they know that a new image in a video is not necessarily just a new look for her. She morphs and changes and that often includes her partners, her physical appearance, her religion, the country she lives in, her voice, her style of music, her alignments and the people she surrounds herself in. People have a favourite version of Madonna as a result and I just think that current Madonna is nobodys favourite.

She's also almost famously recognised who someone who doesn't really acknowledge her back catalogue, treats her fans with contempt and is rude and belligerent and out of touch. MJ was out of touch and odd but he was intensely private so the air of mystery gave him some cache. Something Beyonce and Britney have both learned to adopt in many ways. They're still untouchable to people and sooo loved despite their obvious marital and personal problems.

In the eyes of the general public Madonna is top of her game and has it all, has always had it all and seemingly still wants more. In todays political climate her thirst for yet more fame, power and notoriety and adulation comes off as slightly Trumpian in tone. An ungrateful Queen. I would call misogyny too in some respects but when even her most ardent supporters, (such as I and many on here), who still want her to be number one and top of her game, feel that maybe she's somehow become disconnected from the one thing that people could still connect with despite being such a huge star as her. Her ability to tune into the energy of now and see through the perils of fame other stars seemed to. She somehow managed to seem very relatable and lovable...and funny. You wanted to be part of he team and around her infectious energy...and that laugh.

It's largely her interviews and the way she used to interact with the regular folk she'd meet on shows or even other celebrities. That seems to have evaporated and now she has ...the mirror. And she seemingly dislikes what it shows her. She just seems bloody unhappy, miserable, annoyed and grumpy a lot of the time...oh and terribly unfunny.

I'm a mega fan I promise but I like to think a lot of us have always been able to see through some of the guises she's worn. Now I'm not 100% sure I know her. I don't think you even need to be a stan like us to see that. I think the public see it. She's sort of disappeared into an image of herself. It's either that or her press and team guided and managed her output so meticulously in the first 30 years that we were always shielded from things.

People change. I still love her more than anything x

I don’t think Madonna has changed as much as people think. Talking to average people I don’t get this type of negativity at all. It’s more among a certain group of fans that follow her every move. She doesn’t seem miserable to me at all. She seems quite happy with her family. She seems a lot happier than during the Erotica phase which is seen as a golden age by most fans. 
Among some people she has always been seen as a chilly diva who don’t understand her tongue in cheek ironic sense of humor. That hasn’t changed. 

Guest DeeperDeeper
2 minutes ago, Glindathegood said:

How has she appropriated white feminism? 

She's only adopted white feminism since #metoo - every feminist statement she's made since 2016, particularly the Billboard speech has been riddled with white feminist platitudes - she doesn't have a real comprehension about what she's talking about. 

Even her criticism of Camille Paglia was misinformed and she slapped down a long time supporter - https://www.nytimes.com/1990/12/14/opinion/madonna-finally-a-real-feminist.htm

17 minutes ago, deathproof said:

There was a book?

He did write an autobiography but it kind of came and went. I think the details of his life are so well known and have been covered in various documentaries and interviews that the book didn’t really reveal anything new. I think celebrity autobiographies only have a big impact if there’s some new huge revelation or if you are the type of celebrity who is very private and have never talked about your personal life which Elton isn’t. His book was relatively short for someone who had such a full life. 

I don’t believe she incorporates current sounds because that’s what her kids tell her is good, but because that’s what she enjoys. She has always been forward thinking. 

She had always said many times that she doesn’t want to just sing with a band, that she would be bored with that. She was a dancer before she was a singer so to expect her to give up dancing is unrealistic. People say they just want her to sing but I think people would be disappointed if she just did that. At Rebel Heart, there were fans behind me who said I didn’t come here to hear her sing. 

I think for the most part yes but her collabs don't often come off too well. I think the exceptions to this are Swae Lee who is absolutely sublime on Crave and also Nas on Veni Vidi Vici who is more of a feature. Maluma sounds great but the sheer amount of non English in Malumas verses on Medellin made it an unlikely hit in the west. I think that's an example of her artistry coming before her commerciality which I applaud. Although it's curious because even his song with J-Lo had a Spanglish version. I believe Despacito only really properly blew up once Biebers English verses were added to the more radio friendly western markets. Karen from finance will only Ven conmigo lets take a trip every now and then but she won't get her gnashers round them ma-mouthfuls he sings in  the verse on Zinfandel Tuesdays in the local Spoons lady. 

2 hours ago, steady75 said:

Elton has the Cher affect. He's just who he is and always has been. There's a familiarity in their outspoken and kooky behaviour that's reassuring. Madonna unfortunately has made a rod for her own back with her reinvention tactics. The public are not dumb, they know that a new image in a video is not necessarily just a new look for her. She morphs and changes and that often includes her partners, her physical appearance, her religion, the country she lives in, her voice, her style of music, her alignments and the people she surrounds herself in. People have a favourite version of Madonna as a result and I just think that current Madonna is nobodys favourite.

She's also almost famously recognised who someone who doesn't really acknowledge her back catalogue, treats her fans with contempt and is rude and belligerent and out of touch. MJ was out of touch and odd but he was intensely private so the air of mystery gave him some cache. Something Beyonce and Britney have both learned to adopt in many ways. They're still untouchable to people and sooo loved despite their obvious marital and personal problems.

In the eyes of the general public Madonna is top of her game and has it all, has always had it all and seemingly still wants more. In todays political climate her thirst for yet more fame, power and notoriety and adulation comes off as slightly Trumpian in tone. An ungrateful Queen. I would call misogyny too in some respects but when even her most ardent supporters, (such as I and many on here), who still want her to be number one and top of her game, feel that maybe she's somehow become disconnected from the one thing that people could still connect with despite being such a huge star as her. Her ability to tune into the energy of now and see through the perils of fame other stars seemed to. She somehow managed to seem very relatable and lovable...and funny. You wanted to be part of he team and around her infectious energy...and that laugh.

It's largely her interviews and the way she used to interact with the regular folk she'd meet on shows or even other celebrities. That seems to have evaporated and now she has ...the mirror. And she seemingly dislikes what it shows her. She just seems bloody unhappy, miserable, annoyed and grumpy a lot of the time...oh and terribly unfunny.

I'm a mega fan I promise but I like to think a lot of us have always been able to see through some of the guises she's worn. Now I'm not 100% sure I know her. I don't think you even need to be a stan like us to see that. I think the public see it. She's sort of disappeared into an image of herself. It's either that or her press and team guided and managed her output so meticulously in the first 30 years that we were always shielded from things.

People change. I still love her more than anything x

I think it's the bloody social media. We used to see her as the queen of cool before 2014, completely unbothered. Remember when she would occasionally pop up on Guy Oseary's twitter back in the day and everybody would freak out. I want that kind of image for her. She's probably always been the same, it's just that we have more insight now.

Edited by GhostOrchid (see edit history)

"Funny" how some rumours can spark such negativity on this forum...

That said, I suppose it has to do with how frustrated we've all been with M during the past 10 years, in one way or another. At some point in the last decade, we all cringed, got angry, hoped for better stuff, etc. Every interview or performance seemed to bring bad publicity, somehow. 

What's really annoying, though, is that some fans just want Madonna to be conventional and palatable to the general public... Or simply to stop challenging herself as an artist/musician and serve her fans the stuff that THEY want her to do for them. Not cool. Some even love posting "wish lists" of what they hoped Madonna would do, and after reading them, it's quite ridiculous to know how Madonna keeps changing as a person and as an artist, yet a lot of her fans seem to be stuck in the past. They keep wishing she could be a dated 80s act (Belinda, Bananarama) or an ordinary, approachable, bubble gum dance pop diva (Kylie) for the sake of better press or nostalgia. I deeply disagree with any of that. Of course Madonna's music has given us moments of escapism (Confessions, some of MDNA, etc.), but her work is provocative, dark, contradictory and full of social commentary. Madonna is brilliant exactly because she thinks outside the box, because she takes risks and because she has ALWAYS been somewhat eccentric. But now mix that eccentriticy with her age + social media, and you have a lethal bomb. I am always fascinated by her music, and I actually always embrace her new stuff — critically so. I too have noticed her bad attitude, her unwillingness to fully discuss some of her projects (MDNA being the most notorious in that regard), but I also like to believe she's also achieved greater knowledge, wisdom and a more secure sense of self and family. Maybe that's why we seem to care more about her career than she does. She ain't looking for approval. Her damn grills are here to stay.

Going back to the album, I seriously doubt she's collaborating with Pat Leonard. As someone already pointed out on here, those two seem to be worlds apart, musically speaking. The only way I could imagine this happening would be if M had asked him to help out with the musical aspect of the bopic? Also, I can't imagine how in the middle of her recovery, she would find the motivation to work on a new album. It seems to take her a long time now to get to that stage. The past year has been spent in bed, working on the screenplay, moving back to the States and supporting her bf's career. Of course, it would be a nice surprise if she had actually been working on new music. We all need it. Maybe the photo with The Weeknd's manager could mean more than we think? Unlikely but you never know.

Edited by madfan13_86 (see edit history)

Where do people get the idea she has just been lying in bed? She’s recovering but she’s not crippled. She has flown from Portugal to London and LA and now back to New York. She can’t be in that bad shape.  I think she has probably been toying with some musical and lyrical ideas although she’s probably not yet to the point of recording yet. 

Just now, Prayer said:

No one on the Popjustice forum saw the post... so what is this all about?

I’m a member there. I never saw it, but I suppose it could have been posted when I was asleep or working. But I don’t see why they would have deleted a rumor about her work. They might delete personal things, but about her working with someone. Unlikely. 

Guest DeeperDeeper
5 minutes ago, Glindathegood said:

Where do people get the idea she has just been lying in bed? She’s recovering but she’s not crippled. She has flown from Portugal to London and LA and now back to New York. She can’t be in that bad shape.  I think she has probably been toying with some musical and lyrical ideas although she’s probably not yet to the point of recording yet. 

Can someone tell me where M's houses are located these days?