The original Immaculate Collection tracklisting

GhostOrchid

So madonnaunderground.nl published this dutch promo sheet advertising the upcoming Madonna greatest hits album. As noted here, Who's That Girl was originally supposed to be in, with only one new song included. 

Looking back, I wish she kept it, with 2 new songs, and Cherish kicked out.

Would you keep Who's That Girl instead of another song that made it in and if yes, which one would you kick out?

ticorderform.jpg

9 minutes ago, Levon said:

Before Immaculate Collection came out there was this Japanese promo greatest hits. Maybe this tracklist was the original tracklist consideration.
https://www.discogs.com/Madonna-1983-1990/release/2932474

R-2932474-1420617578-9485.jpeg.jpg

R-2932474-1420617585-2809.jpeg.jpg

Maybe. But I doubt that they wouldn't have included Live to Tell, Into the Groove or Crazy for you, and instead have Keep it Together.

48 minutes ago, GhostOrchid said:

Maybe. But I doubt that they wouldn't have included Live to Tell, Into the Groove or Crazy for you, and instead have Keep it Together.

That's right. On the other hand, with Into The Groove and Crazy for You, there might have been problems with the rights at that time and the focus for this collection was to focus on the faster songs. After all, in the final version the bigger hit Who's That Girl was kicked out for Cherish.

However, maybe it was just an ordinary Japanese promo compilation that happened to come out shortly before TIC. One year before, the Japanese promo "1983 - 1989" was released (without Vogue). https://www.discogs.com/Madonna-1983-1989/release/2932457?ev=rr

I definitely think it should've contained Who's That Girl?! It was a #1 hit so to not include it just didn't feel right to me, even now. I know technically it's not the most popular M song but at that time like I said it had been a huge hit for her! For TIC to not contain any hits from the WTG? soundtrack just felt odd to me. But other than that everything was spot on. For a long time I thought True Blue should've been on there but the more I thought about it - you really couldn't include EVERY single from an album - or just do that for 1 album & not the rest. So since all 4 other singles from True Blue were included on TIC it was understandable why they chose to leave it off. But definitely WTG? should have been included with the 2 new songs! They could've made it work somehow I'm sure. The album is still flawless tho it's so easy to nit pick @ it & say it should've been this it should've been that. 

I am a FIRM SUPPORTER tho that it is PAST TIME for a really nice career spanning box set that puts all the greatest hits compilations to shame! So many artists have REALLY nice box sets - Garth Brooks, The Beatles, Elvis etc..... why not Madonna? Warner & her are LOSING out on SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much profit opportunity by not capitalizing on her VAST back catalogue more than they have. It is the biggest shame above ALL! Maybe one day soon we will get something that we deserve?!?

1 hour ago, PWCCA said:

I would have swapped Cherish for Who's That Girl. WTG was a much bigger hit worldwide, whilst Cherish, well... it's rather lacklustre

I suppose that Madonna was not quite so happy with WTG, which some critics saw as a rip-off of La Isla Bonita and only floated on its wave of success. Maybe that's one of the reasons why they preferred to keep the song exclusively on the soundtrack, which sold fantastically, but also remembered of the flop of the movie.

LAP established Madonna as a serious artist and so they decided to go with Cherish, because her then current successful studio album couldn't be represented by only two singles. Maybe they also picked Cherish to compensate for the loss of the musically similar song True Blue, which also sold better than Cherish - but five True Blue singles would have been simply overweight.

By holding back a few gems (True Blue, Dress You Up, Who's That Girl, Gambler, Angel, Causing a Commotion & Keep it Together), they also supported the sale of the albums they contained. By leaving them out, they probably made more money than if they had put them all on a double album. Of course it was disappointing for many fans, but the new two tracks dried every tear.

5 hours ago, Levon said:

I suppose that Madonna was not quite so happy with WTG, which some critics saw as a rip-off of La Isla Bonita and only floated on its wave of success. Maybe that's one of the reasons why they preferred to keep the song exclusively on the soundtrack, which sold fantastically, but also remembered of the flop of the movie.

The movie, the problem was the movie. Critics and viewers destroyed "Who's that girl?" with passion. As far as I know, the movie was the first big failure in her immaculate career. So Madonna simply removed the song from her back catalogue to forget that mini-era. Yes, the song was a big hit worldwide, but the failure of the movie overshadowed that.

Guest DeeperDeeper
29 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Why do so many fans hate Cherish?

Because they don't understand it, nor the music video. It fits on LAP perfectly. 

34 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Why do so many fans hate Cherish?

Personally I don’t hate it and the video is incredible. I just think it’s not as good as the other songs on TIC. 
I love how the album is mixed and I wish it included new mixes of WTG and DYU. 
Also it’s a crime that they cut the bongos out of La Isla Bonita. And some songs could have run a bit longer...

2 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

The movie, the problem was the movie. Critics and viewers destroyed "Who's that girl?" with passion. As far as I know, the movie was the first big failure in her immaculate career. So Madonna simply removed the song from her back catalogue to forget that mini-era. Yes, the song was a big hit worldwide, but the failure of the movie overshadowed that.

You’re probably right. But just out of interest... do we know what came first. The movie title, the song tile or the tour title? Because based on her story it seems like it was the tour name firstly and then she changed the movie name to coincide then wrote the song to fit in with it all. Or is that just a typical Madonna revisionist story?

It has to be said too that the tour was huge and has very little to do with the movie. I would assume calling the VHS Ciao Italia was to remove any association to the movie....

The tour was named such to promote the movie (and obviously a great tour title). I'm not clear as to whether Slammer became Who's That Girl and then a song was written as the title theme - or if the song was written and then the movie title was changed - but the tour fell into place after all of that for sure.

Also WTG was most definitely not Madonna's first big commercial failure. Shanghai Surprise would take that accolade.

We have the same thought. Excluding Who's That Girl into the collection is their biggest sin. It was number all worldwide and even tour named after the song. I can understand they omitted Causing a Commotion (which should've been in You Can Dance) but not having WTG on IC is like incomplete puzzle. If the issue is running time, then they have to shorten Like A Prayer or Live To Tell.

1 hour ago, Smoothie said:

Also WTG was most definitely not Madonna's first big commercial failure. Shanghai Surprise would take that accolade.

The movie "Who's That Girl" was promoted like the "comedy of the year" with the "superstar" Madonna. The hype for the movie was high, really high. That is the reason why I've said "Her first BIG commercial failure". 

"Shangay Surprise" had zero promotion, at least in my country. The hype for that movie was almost non-existent. 

Cherish was a big hit as was True Blue. 
but yes the five singles of True Blue would have been a decision considered. Also Sean at the time. The one song that really was done dirty was Dress You Up. I think it’s the one song from the Like A Virgin era that distills the Madonna attitude and energy of the time. The gimmicky Like A Virgin and Material Girl don’t fully represent the coolness of her persona at that time. Dress You Up does this. It really is the song that holds the power and energy of a woman in control and in the moment at that point in the 80’s with no pastiche or wink and nudge. It’s an absolute banger too and it really should have made the cut. 

Who’s That Girl is great but two back to back Latin themed songs would have felt less selective. Who’s That Girl was also voted as the worst billboard number one of all time in an article I saw a few years after. While they are some of my own personal favourites the three Who’s That Girl songs were the first signs of an emergence of the Madonna formula. 
They all felt like interpretations of songs we’d heard from her before. We were 100 percent in need of a new Madonna by 1989. And boy did we get it. Think of how brave the songs on Like A Prayer were considering the wall to wall pop of True Blue. A giant leap. Cherish was the hit in the back pocket just in case amongst a harder to digest album than her previous offerings. A shrewd move that is the outlier on its parent album and I imagine a necessary public softening after the Pepsi and Like A Prayer video controversy. 
Madonna always liked to poke you in the eye to get you to look at her ( Like A Prayer). When she’d got your attention she tell you what she needed to say ( Express Yourself), and then she’d kiss you sweetly on the cheek, (Cherish), to make sure you came back for more next time. 
My manipulative queen.