The original Immaculate Collection tracklisting

GhostOrchid

4 hours ago, Chrato74 said:

We have the same thought. Excluding Who's That Girl into the collection is their biggest sin. It was number all worldwide and even tour named after the song. I can understand they omitted Causing a Commotion (which should've been in You Can Dance) but not having WTG on IC is like incomplete puzzle. If the issue is running time, then they have to shorten Like A Prayer or Live To Tell.

yeah and WTG stayed in the top 10 airplay for 7 weeks was #1 for 2 weeks on the airplay chart in America too (and #1 sales)

3 hours ago, steady75 said:

Who’s That Girl is great but two back to back Latin themed songs would have felt less selective.

y'know? I do see the suits going: " we have a latin song already why include 2? it's too much , we don't wanna alienate America"  :thinker:

times were different then :smile:

Yeah and she really was trying to get in Glorias lane a bit with Love Makes The World Go Round La Isla and WTG. 
I just think La Isla does it better. If anything the suits would say “well who’s that girl was a number 1 song and if we leave La Isla off we can include True Blue and not smother the album with All True Blue singles” 

Can you imagine? I think the right choice was made. Who’s That Girl is a fan favourite and perfect headline fodder for the time but it’s not as bulletproof as Dress You Up.

Hanky Panky was a big hit too and that was left on the shelf.

The Holiday Collection was great and if immaculate had been released today The Holiday Collection would have been part of a rerelease as a double disc special edition for extra sales. 

I still think The Immaculate Recollection is an impeccable name for a 40 yr career retrospective double album or boxset. 
recollection being recalling memories but also a double meaning on a recollection of the original album plus. 
Oh yeah.. I’m here all day. Link in bio for bookings. 
Would a double CD with the original album double new sales and add to her original certification totals? I’d bet it would. 

45 minutes ago, Ian said:

as long as it runs at a 100 min or over then yeah it would be double counted

Even if the first disc is amended with additional tracks or edits?

i know ABBA have tampered with various editions of their GOLD collection for various anniversary releases.

Its obvious that no future collections will ever top immaculates sales or notoriety with the great unwashed so it makes sense to re- edition it to be honest. ABBA even did a double and triple edition disc of GOLD.

If so then let’s make that happen then shall we mom?

Get money.

Remind me why I’m not her manager again?

oh yes I’m interested in her career and say no occasionally. 

Thatd be it ?

51 minutes ago, Ashley said:

You could also argue that Gambler and Angel could have been included. 

I’d love that but one was only ltd regional like The Look Of Love and Angel was virtually abandoned to give Into The Groove it’s moment. I’d always wished the UK had rereleased Everybody and Burning Up in 85 when The First Album was reissued. The other singles were well known to be honest.

17 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Even if the first disc is amended with additional tracks or edits?

yeah, it only has to reach 100 min total play time, oh and it has to have the same original name, TIC, if it's any different then it might be considered a new album thus sales would be counted separately

Isn’t the actual singles run from 82-87 just an utterly perfect distillation of the opening act of her career. 

Im just astounded at how good those 20 songs are. The perfect greatest hits in its own right to be honest even before Like A Prayer came along.

Like A Prayer to You’ll See was always phase two of her career and my OCD would have made Spotlight the new track on a 1988 Best Of collection. 

Guest DeeperDeeper
19 hours ago, steady75 said:

Isn’t the actual singles run from 82-87 just an utterly perfect distillation of the opening act of her career. 

Im just astounded at how good those 20 songs are. The perfect greatest hits in its own right to be honest even before Like A Prayer came along.

Like A Prayer to You’ll See was always phase two of her career and my OCD would have made Spotlight the new track on a 1988 Best Of collection. 

We have to remember that TIC was from 83 to 90, so in only 7 years Madonna had racked up that many hits and became an International sensation with already a collection of personas under her belt. Seriously (and I think a few who were alive during that period will agree with me) it did not feel like only 7 years, it felt like she had been around for decades. 

So if any greatest hits compilation was released earlier it would have been premature. It was released smack bang at the right time. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, yet didn't Warner want TIC out yesterday and they had a short time to remix, engineer with Q-Sound and produce the album? 

Guest DeeperDeeper
5 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Oh yes immaculate was perfect at the time but in terms of a retrospective I’d love that portion of her career to be presented in a single disc format of those 20 singles. It’s utterly pristine.  

You mean like what they did with Bowies hits? There's about three compilation albums spanning three decades. 

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

You mean like what they did with Bowies hits? There's about three compilation albums spanning three decades. 

Exactly that 

82 88 Immaculate Conception

89-95 Immaculate Ambition

98-05 Immaculate Reinvention

08-20 Immaculate Detention ?

6 hours ago, lap said:

Immaculate Collection's length has 73:32

If Like a Prayer was the 7" Remix Edit and Rescue Me was the single edit, it could easily insert Dress you up and Who's that Girl, 2 big hits at that time. 

I have compilation CDs from the 90s with a running time longer than 82 minutes. I've never understood why Warner didn't past the 74 minutes frontier to add two or three songs using short edits (Burning Up, Who's That Girl, True Blue...)

She's always saved certain singles and tracks from the compilations to get fans to buy the original releases too not just the compilation:

- "Dress You Up" and "Angel" -> get the "Like A Virgin" album

- "True Blue" -> get the album

- "Who's That Girl" songs -> get the soundtrack

- "Oh Father", "Dear Jessie", "Keep It Together" -> get the "Like A Prayer" album

- "Hanky Panky" -> get "I'm Breathless"

And the list goes on: videos out of "93:99" and "Celebration", songs out of "GHV2" and "Celebration" etc. etc. "You want it all? OK you're gonna pay for all" :lol:

2 hours ago, Prayer said:

She's always saved certain singles and tracks from the compilations to get fans to buy the original releases too not just the compilation

"You want it all? OK you're gonna pay for all" :lol:

I will never forgive her for not including "Burning Up", "Gambler" & "Who's That Girl" on TIC, and "Oh, Father" & "Fever" on the Celebration DVD. 

Oh No You Didnt GIF by happydog

10 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

I have compilation CDs from the 90s with a running time longer than 82 minutes. I've never understood why Warner didn't past the 74 minutes frontier to add two or three songs using short edits (Burning Up, Who's That Girl, True Blue...)

The vast majority of CD players back then couldn't play anything over 78 min and the longest playtime for a CD at the time TIC came out was around 80 min ; that limit started to get longer slowly over the years; also there were quality issues with CDs that played longer than 76 min