The original Immaculate Collection tracklisting

GhostOrchid

16 hours ago, Prayer said:

Alright... you're giving a personal opinion and that's perfectly fine, we do that all the time. But it's just an opinion, not "verified fact" or what necessarily happened behind the scenes. :)

The only verified facts we know are:

- Pepsi was going to be the sponsor for the tour and that didn't happen.

- "Dick Tracy" filming happened.

- "Oh Father" was considered a "flop".

- Shep Pettibone was approached by Warner's head of dance music, Craig Kostich, to write and produce an original dance track with Madonna with a "try a let's see what happens with it" approach. That ended up being "Vogue". Confirmed by Shep: https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6575923/vogue-producer-shep-pettibone-interview

- Madonna told last year that she wrote "Vogue" for "Dick Tracy" cause she was dating Warren at the time (I don't know what to make of this really): 

That interview was interesting with her saying Vogue started with the rap and worked backwards from that as remember Shep Pettibone saying that the rap was the last part of the song that got written and that the song was as good as finished but missing something and Madonna wrote the rap part while on an aeroplane and was brilliant so it got added. The Shep description makes sense in that the song was likely more inspired by the underground Vogue/Ballroom scene alot more than it was inspired by the Hollywood greats she references in the rap. I guess only Madonna and Shep would really know

16 hours ago, kesiak said:

According to Shep, The Immaculate Collection and his work/mixing on it was very last minute, "a rush job" as he put it. That wouldn't make sense if "Vogue" had been written with it in mind, many months before. :)

Exactly. It’s been stated for decades that Vogue was always to be recorded as a b-side.

Madonna is the only one who said she wrote it for Dick Tracy. She first said this in 2015 on Howard Stern, then again last year on the Sirius XM show.

Lets not forget, this is the same woman who claims she never said she was a “famed high school drop out” on American Bandstand in 1984 ? I think you can get the point of what I’m trying to say

On 12/5/2020 at 10:58 AM, GhostOrchid said:

So she said it was written for Dick Tracy, and the general knowledge is that it was written for Keep it Together. The point seems to be that we are given information that are not necessarily what really happened.

And if you look closely at the dates, the principal photography for the film started (february 1989) before the LAP Tour got canceled (march 1989), and Madonna was cast way before that. so the original plan was to do the film and then rehearse and go on tour.

I believe Shep when he says he was approached with a "let's see what happens" attitude, but i believe they were aiming it for The Immaculate Collection.

And btw, I don't think she released Oh Father with any ambition for it to be a chart topper. It's just not that kind of song. I think she knew it's not going to do as good as the rest and she was fine with it. Just look at the video, she wanted to tell a story. Same as for example Human Nature. But she could affoard to do that, have a row of chart toppers, followed by a row of low-key personal songs. With Oh Father she was toning it down for what is to come. Besides, you can tell if they aim for a chart topper or not when you see the formats of the single release. Oh Father only got a crappy sleeveless 7" with no real bonus content. It simply wasn't aimed for success to begin with, it was aimed to tell a story.

BTW thanks for that interview clip, I haven't heard it before.

The tour not happening in 1989 had nothing to do with Pepsi ad fuss. 

As someone else said - Dick Tracy changed all the scheduling.

Pepsi cancelled *sponsorship* of the tour but that's all.

But she had already started hair color testing for Dick Tracy during the filming of the Pepsi commercial. That’s what the blonde streak was for. So she had already been confirmed for Dick Tracy by then. So maybe the tour was in the fall/winter of 89? Or maybe it was always suppose to be in 1990?

On 11/30/2020 at 5:50 PM, Nahual said:

I'm glad they didn't include WTG though. I have nothing against the song, it's just kind of generic and not particularly memorable other than because of its Spanish lyrics, but La Isla Bonita already covers that territory much better. 

Btw I won't tolerate any disrespect towards Cherish. It's a cute bop. :bubblebitch:

Sorry but the bridge in Who's that Girl is life... and the song went number one.  It belonged on IC.  She just had so many hits by then.  It could have easily been two cds.

On 12/5/2020 at 4:04 PM, ShantiAshtangi said:

The biggest sacrilege with TIC is the hideous version of Like A Prayer. The thought that there are people who only have TIC as their only Madonna album and only have this ugly remix of Like A Prayer in their collection is hard to bear. 

I don't mind the remixes but it does date the album a bit.  The IC was a dream compared the the butchering of Celebration.  All of the omissions and edits.  And the bonus songs were hardly memorable.  

On 12/7/2020 at 12:50 AM, Smoothie said:

The tour not happening in 1989 had nothing to do with Pepsi ad fuss. 

As someone else said - Dick Tracy changed all the scheduling.

Pepsi cancelled *sponsorship* of the tour but that's all.

Not true. She would have already finished filming dick tracy way before the tour reheasals were supposed to start. And the movie premiered in may 1990. She literelly didn't have anything dick tracy related to do in between when the filming was wrapped and when the promotion for the film started in 1990. 

It's true that the cancelled pepsi promotion threw her off and she could have probably found a new way to fund the tour, but i guess she took the whole situation as a sign to postpone everything till 1990 and focus on I'm Breathless instead

On 12/6/2020 at 3:40 AM, MDNA22 said:

That interview was interesting with her saying Vogue started with the rap and worked backwards from that as remember Shep Pettibone saying that the rap was the last part of the song that got written and that the song was as good as finished but missing something and Madonna wrote the rap part while on an aeroplane and was brilliant so it got added. The Shep description makes sense in that the song was likely more inspired by the underground Vogue/Ballroom scene alot more than it was inspired by the Hollywood greats she references in the rap. I guess only Madonna and Shep would really know

I think Shep told it how it really happened. And how we all know it happened. Once she saw that there is a way to link the song to the movie she threw in the rap. or maybe it was completely unrelated to the film whatsoever.

I love her, but she is known for saying things in order to push something on her agenda. Maybe she needs something from Warren now ?