Madonna's Fame & Numbers...

Arckangel

Took a look at Madonna's monthly listeners and streaming numbers on Spotify, and then compared with those of other artists such as Beyoncé, Coldplay, Eminem, Michael Jackson and so on. Madonna's are way too low considering her stature. Why aren't people streaming her more? (Yeah. She did lose some fans over politics, but still... So did Eminem, and it's not affecting him.) Hopefully, these old maxi-single releases and Mo's upcoming biopic will stimulate new interest in her.

Also... There are some collabs Mo should have released as singles: IconicBeat Goes On, Faz Gostoso. Yes, she needs adult contemporary stuff but collabs too. May look desperate to some, but she needs them. She just needs to make sure they be released as singles, videoed and successful.  Crave should have been huge. Future had quite some potential. She should team up w/ Miley Cyrus again or Billie Eilish maybe or Drake again or Megan Thee Stallion or Justin Bieber whoever else and really make sure the song is massively played and a hit! I don't understand why it couldn't happen.

Yes, she'll have to collaborate a lot more w/ youngsters and older successful acts too. By the way, Madonna is not like everybody. She'll always embrace her youth—she's ageless, timeless like Marilyn Monroe.

Edited by Arckangel (see edit history)

It's all the labels and PR work and also M's lack of interest; Eminem and his label have been on top of paid stream payola and his constant presence on playlists for example

It's not about who she teams up with artistically and not up to the quality of M's music either

these days big promo ads and paid placements and media/websites paid articles is all that matters specially when it counts to streams

big marketing will make people believe they'd want anything they throw at them

56 minutes ago, Voguerista said:

@Ianand @Shofulso true. I just think her promotional team is awful anymore...which is really sad.

Agreed. It is crazy to see how much she dropped in popularity after Hard Candy. She keeps contributing it to ageism. I mean it partially is but at 50 she still was smashing. It’s cause MDNA and her attitude was her downfall. Then so many missteps since. Madame X was never supposed to be a return to commercial success but at least we got the Artist back which was lacking since 2008

"She should team up w/ Miley Cyrus again or Billie Eilish maybe or Drake again or Megan Thee Stallion or Justin Bieber"

:Madonna051:

It didn't work with Minaj (twice), M.I.A., Swae Lee, Lil Wayne, Kanye, Chance the Rapper, Quavo, Maluma... Why would it work now?

I could argue that every collab she did with non-pop artists backfired big time because her fan base didn't like it and the other artist public couldn't care less about her. Enough with this "cool-urban-of the moment" collab, it's been 10 years and 4 albums cicles already.

Madonna should team up with POP artists and with that try to remember people why she's (used to be) the best. She had the chance with an invitation from Dua Lipa and didn't do anything with it. Madonna's ego is too big to stand side by side with somebody that's from her own field, only God knows how Britney managed to do it, but it's never going to happen with Beyoncé, Rihanna, Dua Lipa, Kylie, Gaga...

11 hours ago, Arckangel said:

Took a look at Madonna's monthly listeners and streaming numbers on Spotify, and then compared with those of other artists such as Beyoncé, Coldplay, Eminem, Michael Jackson and so on. Madonna's are way too low considering her stature. Why aren't people streaming her more? (Yeah. She did lose some fans over politics, but still... So did Eminem, and it's not affecting him.) Hopefully, these old maxi-single releases and Mo's upcoming biopic will stimulate new interest in her.

Also... There are some collabs Mo should have released as singles: IconicBeat Goes On, Faz Gostoso. Yes, she needs adult contemporary stuff but collabs too. May look desperate to some, but she needs them. She just needs to make sure they are released as singles, videoed and successful.  Crave should have been huge. Future had quite some potential. She should team up w/ Miley Cyrus again or Billie Eilish maybe or Drake again or Megan Thee Stallion or Justin Bieber whoever else and really make sure the song is massively played and a hit! I don't understand why it couldn't happen.

Yes, she'll have to collaborate a lot more w/ youngsters and older successful acts too. By the way, Madonna is not like everybody. She'll always embrace her youth—she's ageless, timeless like Marilyn Monroe.

You make really interesting points there. In summary, she needs proper hits, and yes, that’s also about marketing.

I am not sure she needs the names you mentioned. She doesn’t even need many people. The songs written in the past had a „Madonna-feel“, but they are almost nowhere to be found since 2007. She needs new Madonna classics.

A big and dynamic career like M's cannot stay on top forever. Sure, numbers count (LOL) but they're not only the defining point of her success and presence in people's minds. If she did more collaborations with hip singers, she would be more visible on Spotify and al. ok. Do you really want her to hook up with every other artist for the sake of being number one? She's been number one for decades, I really believe she doesn't care anymore. She's turning into a legacy act, and that doesn't make her irrelevant or unable to reinvent herself again and make a huge hit ever after. The movie is a very smart move to embrace it. Look at how The Rolling Stones, U2, Cher, etc. manage their fame. On a marketing point of view, they're music A-list celebrities and brands, Spotify numbers are not that important. 

And she has had classics since 05. 4 Minutes is a hit with plenty around my age (23). I know some younger still remember GMAYL (as the Super Bowl song but still). It’s with Rebel Heart the public’s knowledge spins out completely (BIM is a classic whether you want to admit and Ghosttown is gorgeous). Madame X has plenty to offer as classics but not to the general public. But does that matter anymore? Better than being known for two albums of ABBA covers.  

Every major star has their zenith - Madonna has simply outlived hers. People will always know who she is, but her success has decreased because that what happens when artists get older - they lose their relevance. Setting her up with teeny boppers is not going to increase her popularity; if it hasn't so far, it's not going to.

5 hours ago, NowRadiate said:

You make really interesting points there. In summary, she needs proper hits, and yes, that’s also about marketing.

I am not sure she needs the names you mentioned. She doesn’t even need many people. The songs written in the past had a „Madonna-feel“, but they are almost nowhere to be found since 2007. She needs new Madonna classics.

It's never been done before by a woman her age, no woman in history has even charted on the Hot 100 singles chart at 62

Why are we holding Madonna to an impossible standard?

3 hours ago, Mp1992 said:

It's never been done before by a woman her age, no woman in history has even charted on the Hot 100 singles chart at 62

Why are we holding Madonna to an impossible standard?

Didn’t Tina Turner still chart around 60? She charted wirh Open Arms in 2004 and was born  1939.

13 minutes ago, NowRadiate said:

Didn’t Tina Turner still chart around 60?

Her last Hot 100 hit was at age 56. Dolly is the oldest at age 59 but she was a featured artist. As the lead artist, Madonna and Tina are tied for oldest at 56 at the time of the releases of their respective singles. Tina however is the oldest one to chart as a lead with no featured artists as Madonna had Nicki on BIM.

Then again, I personally do not necessarily define a “hit song” by its chart performance. (It’s about streams now anyway.) Great songs are great songs no matter the performance, and unfortunately, I feel that type of quality has decreased with time (,which is a matter of taste. Some people think Madame X contains genius music).

1 hour ago, Husam Elzien said:

Her last Hot 100 hit was at age 56. Dolly is the oldest at age 59 but she was a featured artist. As the lead artist, Madonna and Tina are tied for oldest at 56 at the time of the releases of their respective singles. Tina however is the oldest one to chart as a lead with no featured artists as Madonna had Nicki on BIM.

Madonna is the oldest with BIM, just weeks shy of her 57th birthday

Madonna, Tina, Cher and Streisand are the only over 50 female artists to score a top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100

9 hours ago, Mp1992 said:

Madonna is the oldest with BIM, just weeks shy of her 57th birthday

Madonna, Tina, Cher and Streisand are the only over 50 female artists to score a top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100

not quite correct, Rockin' around the xmas tree managed to hit #2 on the BBH100 but that's just because of the changes they made on the chart , that happened last year I believe when she hit 74

the thing is it was with an old song, new chart rules and with a xmas classic , unlike what happened with M, Cher and Tina who scored hits with current singles back then

• 1 month later...

An update...

I see that during the Xmas season, Mariah's Spotify numbers rose to 32+ million monthly listeners. It's now down to 16 million monthly listeners. Angèle number's are now up to 7+ million monthly listeners ever since her collab w/ Dua Lipa. Eminem's holding steady at 39+ million monthly listeners, and Katy Perry's holding on at 33.9 million monthly listeners (which means she's not so done yet). Justin Bieber and The Weeknd are the two most popular acts I'm seeing at 67+ million monthly listeners. Dua Lipa's at 63+ million, and Drake's at 51.5 million. As for Madonna, she's now at 14.5 million monthly listeners, which is not bad at all, but I feel it could and should be more (Michael Jackson's at 24.8 million).

Madonna's numbers could rise with several hit singles. They'd need to be real good, and also haunting or incredibly catchy songs such as Titanium by David Guetta feat. Sia or Blinding Lights by The Weeknd. Her management should spend more time finding her that hit she would appear on, and it'd need to be a lead single this time.

Also, regarding the Like a Prayer album... That's when Madonna's numbers started to drop a bit, and that was quite still early on, before her 1990 peak. Why was that? Any insight? If anything, the Pepsi controversy (coupled w/ the immense quality of the Like a Prayer single, video and album) should have propelled sales even more.

One more thing... All of her maxi-singles (US + some international ones) should be on Spotify + all of her two track singles—why not?—more releases, more tracks, more streams. I'd even put some promo items there such as the Love Don't Live Here Anymore, Buenos AiresImpressive Instant and Mother and Father dance remixes and so on.

Madonna's career is very long and diverse of course, but if I had to pinpoint a time where her career really started to change it would be post-LAP. She was always somewhat edgy and controversial, but I think post-LAP was when she really became more avant-garde and pushed boundaries even further, to become something more than just a mainstream pop star, for better or for worse depending on your perspective. The Erotica era just didn't appeal to the general public the same way say True Blue did. I'm always surprised "Oh Father" didn't do better on the charts, as it's one of her most powerful ballads. 

@Kae-Leah WilliamsonIt was still a top 20 hit in the US. I guess it had more to do w/ radio programmers than radio listeners. Warner should have pushed it more. Fame is such an elusive thing. And I must admit I'm amazed by Eminem's endurance (his current numbers are impressive considering how long he's been at it). Madonna deserves more.

On 1/29/2021 at 4:25 AM, milingo83 said:

"She should team up w/ Miley Cyrus again or Billie Eilish maybe or Drake again or Megan Thee Stallion or Justin Bieber"

sad wendy williams GIF

But it's true. To me, it's not humiliation; it's just the way things are. Was society less ageist, I guess she'd not need them, but considering the state of things, she needs them, and that's part of the reason why she's been (ever since Hard Candy) teaming up w/ more and more younger acts such as Justin Timberlake, Maluma, Anitta, Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, M.I.A. and so on.

Madonna just needs to do so even more wisely, be more savvy in that regard and fully utilize those opportunities so it truly works for her. It's not that hard, really. With the means and connections she has, she and her management can make it happen. 

See: The Hot 100 Chart | Billboard Voilà! Who am I seeing? The very same artists I've mentioned: Miley Cyrus, Billie Eilish, Drake, Megan Thee Stallion, Justin Bieber + Olivia Rodrigo, Ava Max, Dua Lipa, The Weeknd, Ariana Grande, Bad Bunny, Jack Harlow, DaBaby, Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith, Jason Derulo, Doja Cat, Future, Lil Wayne, Chance The Rapper, Machine Gun Kelly, BTS, Luke Combs, Taylor Swift, Morgan Wallen (she's got to hit him up and devour him—he's got 10 songs on the chart) and so on.

Madonna's worked w/ some of those acts, but she's not utilizing such opportunities properly. If she did, she'd be on that damn chart too. It's not that hard! "Just squeeze her in!" A verse, a bridge, a chorus—as long she's in it. Sounds cold, calculating, but that's the way it is.

@ArckangelAlright as long as most of them aren't featured on her records. I'd love her with Ava Max to be honest. Maybe they don't ask her to join them. She doesn't sound like the girl that turns down such opportunities when offered. What can she do then? Go begging them for a feature? Hopefully her next record company takes better care of squeezing her because her vocals always stand out and make a difference.

@Blue PrinceIconic should have been a single, a big single w/ a music video. See how well Bitch I'm Madonna did on YouTube/VEVO; it's her biggest hit on YouTube. Beat Goes On could have been a great single too. Future should have been a main single, and a big one! As for Crave, I guess it was not pushed enough, neither was Ghosttown. And yeah, Faz Gostoso should definitely have been released; such a wasted single release opportunity.

You know TLC's song Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg ? Well, Madonna's now in this scenario. She has connections, she can hit up any of those acts any time and just tell them she'd like to work with them and be featured on one or more of their songs; I'm sure many would say yes.