Lenny Kravitz looks back at recording Madonna's 'Justify My Love' 30 years later

Voguerista

15 hours ago, ShantiAshtangi said:

What exactly was Madonna's contribution to the song then? Its as said then when Ingrid Chavez sued Lenny Krawitz that Madonna's writing input was never questioned. But from that preview it seems as if the lyrics are identical. Or did Ingrid record the finally lyrics altered by Madonna for that version?

It’s been said Madonna only added “poor is the man, whose pleasures depend on the permission of another”

@deathproofThx for the info! Ingrid Chavez is therefore performing Madonna's addition. I kinda suspected “Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another” is the line Madonna added, esp. since it is displayed at the end of the MV.

Do you know by any chance what Madonna added in Papa Don't Preach ? I think she added: "Daddy, daddy if you could only see / Just how good he's been treating me / You'd give us your blessing right now /'Cause we are in love / We are in love, so please!" or maybe "Don't you stop loving me, daddy / I know I'm keeping my baby". Can't tell for sure.

Edited by Arckangel (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Arckangel said:

@deathproofThx for the info! Ingrid Chavez is therefore performing Madonna's addition. I kinda suspected “Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another” is the line Madonna added, esp. since it is displayed at the end of the MV.

Man, that line is poetry. Ingrid Chavez is a poetress...

3 hours ago, Arckangel said:

Do you know by any chance what Madonna added in Papa Don't Preach ? I think she added: "Daddy, daddy if you could only see / Just how good he's been treating me / You'd give us your blessing right now /'Cause we are in love / We are in love, so please!" or maybe "Don't you stop loving me, daddy / I know I'm keeping my baby". Can't tell for sure.

The second one sounds like her typical melodies and way of writing songs, I've always thought that's the one. But I don't know for sure! :)

10 hours ago, Arckangel said:

I’ve read somewhere years ago that she “only“ added the very last bit “Don't you stop loving me, daddy / I know I'm keeping my baby”

14 hours ago, Pootz333 said:

I want to know how The Beast Within Mix came about. Like was that recorded at the same session? What inspired it? I guess you could view it as a progression of "Act of Contrition". It still fascinates me and holds up like crazy.

I’d love to know that as well. Especially since it’s basically a completely different song with the exception of a few pieces of her vocals. But it’s based as much on JML as Deeper and Deeper is based on Vogue. 

On 12/6/2020 at 4:00 AM, Dance_Freak said:

Man, that line is poetry. Ingrid Chavez is a poetress...

Madonna could very well have written that one line. Didn't she write all lyrics for Secret GardenRescue MeLive to TellThe Look of Love, Angels With Dirty Faces, etc.? And Madonna (as you most likely know) was always big on poetry (Anne Sexto and Sylvia Plath).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2020 at 6:54 PM, Angelo said:

ingrid version is so boring...maybe I've expected more

Same.

I think Madonna did a great job with it and made it hers. Of course we have to thank Ingrid's spoken word style for opening that door to Madonna... "Erotica", "Secret Garden", etc. etc.

The interview is quite interesting...

The snapshot is this: Lenny, Andre and I create this amazing song in the studio. Lenny and I take it to the head of Virgin Records to let him have a listen. He asks me for my copy. I hand it over thinking I will get another one. I never got another one. A few months later, Lenny asks me to hang with him in NYC where he tells me Madonna is doing the song and that if I want any money for writing credit I would have to sign an agreement to stay silent about my roll. The song comes out, Prince called me up and said, “What’s up with that Madonna song, I know that’s you.” I, for the first time admit to having written the lyrics and recording the original track. Prince is disappointed as we are just about to release a spoken word record on Paisley Park Records. He says that people are going to think that I am copying Madonna. I hire a lawyer and sue for credit.

Basically Lenny did her dirty and Prince was like "what??".

2 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Same.

I think Madonna did a great job with it and made it hers. Of course we have to think Ingrid's spoken word style for opening that door to Madonna... "Erotica", "Secret Garden", etc. etc.

The snapshot is this: Lenny, Andre and I create this amazing song in the studio. Lenny and I take it to the head of Virgin Records to let him have a listen. He asks me for my copy. I hand it over thinking I will get another one. I never got another one. A few months later, Lenny asks me to hang with him in NYC where he tells me Madonna is doing the song and that if I want any money for writing credit I would have to sign an agreement to stay silent about my roll. The song comes out, Prince called me up and said, “What’s up with that Madonna song, I know that’s you.” I, for the first time admit to having written the lyrics and recording the original track. Prince is disappointed as we are just about to release a spoken word record on Paisley Park Records. He says that people are going to think that I am copying Madonna. I hire a lawyer and sue for credit.

This is a new recording of the original demo sung by Ingrid Chavez or it's the original demo recording? ??? I'm so confused ? 

Just now, Monsieur Hugo X said:

This is a new recording of the original demo sung by Ingrid Chavez or it's the original demo recording? ??? I'm so confused ? 

A new recording with new vocals.

Ingrid says the 1990 released song is exactly like her demo but with Madonna imitating her vocals. I'd love to hear the original demo to check if that it's true... we all know how Madonna always puts her little M touches here and there.

42 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Same.

I think Madonna did a great job with it and made it hers. Of course we have to think Ingrid's spoken word style for opening that door to Madonna... "Erotica", "Secret Garden", etc. etc.

but she agreed to stay silent for money...so WTF ahahah

I find it "pathetic" from her