My BAT upscales are finally ready

Bat-Fan

On 12/7/2020 at 3:01 AM, Bat-Fan said:

links to both shows are coming soon. However I am still not sure if I want to post the links in the video section here, because I dont want a certain member to make fun of my 4 months of hard work, and he will 100% do just that and I am not up for any more drama. Of cource I can send you the links after I upload them, via PM? If you want a physical copy, I have a pro printer (also prints the discs) and I  can make the physicals and send you for free. Not doing this to profit, but not to be made fun of either. Mostly I did it because I REALLY wanted to. But I will share with anyone who is interested.

It looks amazing your hard work was worth it. I hope to be able to download it please?

On 12/9/2020 at 10:55 PM, Andymad said:

I get all giddy when I see BAT in amazing quality! I really hope you share with us ?

Of course, links to DVD, Bluray (1080p) and 4k; for which I had to buy a new computer for. Having a software that takes advantage of high quality engine and selecting High Profile for H.264 codec, you need a computer that can handle it. I originally had someone doing this for me because I knew nothing about video editing/processing, but obsessive as I am, I was never happy so I learned to do it on my own and it was not easy. Learning about encoding, compression, deinterlacing, GOP settings, scene detection settings, H.264 profiles, MOV and/or H.264, amount of Bframes to be inserted in relations to the GOP settings, using such poor quality source, was a nightmare and it took months. Ironically using the AI software was the easiest part. Getting it good enoug before running it through Topaz was terrible. The hardest was the motion, I kept getting a slight judder/stutter in very fast moving moments  (that nobody seemed to notice but me), so alot of trial and error to get the motion smooth; a combination of amount of B frames; in regards to the GOP selected, that also depends on the fpr, and using the best bitrate settings. Variable bitrate and 2nd pass encoding did a good job but I liked using constant bitrate and I have versions using CBR rather than VBR, but those files are huge. Took me a while to figure out the best result for the 29.97fps was 2Bframes and a GOP of 150 (software had it autoset to 250) and 5.2 High Profile, but for my 60fpr version, I used GOP of 300, 3Bframes, and 5.2 high profile. I did 2 versions, using either CBR or VBR, and 2nd pass, but only VBR for 4k due to size, so basically I have 5 versions of Nice. For the "SD" which you may wonder why I bothered to do, I used CBR, and it looks amazing. The after effects from AVS Video editor helped alot (even though AVS is pretty simple) with the sharpness and gamma setting, but I used daVinci resolve for the colors and to optimize the video's motion.

On 12/7/2020 at 3:07 AM, AntiSkilled said:

I usually don't like upscales since they tend to blur the face a lot and take away details that were once there in the original format BUT this is really nicely done and keeps a lot of the details there! Really proud and great work on doin this!

Edit: And also of COURSE the hair will look weird haha AI is not that advanced yet to improve the hair texture quality but it's not super distracting for me 

I had to lower the contrast to get a less sharp/detailed picture before running it through Topas, I did it so I could more evenly re-sharpen it in the "after effect" part of the project. I hate how AI sharpens the face and the hair is not as sharp (not a problem in close ups though) but I managed to do a decent job of capturing hair details (some of the screen shots have her moving a bit, like LAV and Cherish) by pre-AI processing and AI after effects. This is why I slighly made the picture more faded before Topaz, so I could sharpen it with AVS, normally I hate "sharpening" it looks very fake if not done with care. Also I tried not to drown the concert in color.  So many make the show way too dark and too colorful, almost cartoonish. But I am no pro, just my opinion.

6 hours ago, Bat-Fan said:

Of course, links to DVD, Bluray (1080p) and 4k; for which I had to buy a new computer for. Having a software that takes advantage of high quality engine and selecting High Profile for H.264 codec, you need a computer that can handle it. I originally had someone doing this for me because I knew nothing about video editing/processing, but obsessive as I am, I was never happy so I learned to do it on my own and it was not easy. Learning about encoding, compression, deinterlacing, GOP settings, scene detection settings, H.264 profiles, MOV and/or H.264, amount of Bframes to be inserted in relations to the GOP settings, using such poor quality source, was a nightmare and it took months. Ironically using the AI software was the easiest part. Getting it good enoug before running it through Topaz was terrible. The hardest was the motion, I kept getting a slight judder/stutter in very fast moving moments  (that nobody seemed to notice but me), so alot of trial and error to get the motion smooth; a combination of amount of B frames; in regards to the GOP selected, that also depends on the fpr, and using the best bitrate settings. Variable bitrate and 2nd pass encoding did a good job but I liked using constant bitrate and I have versions using CBR rather than VBR, but those files are huge. Took me a while to figure out the best result for the 29.97fps was 2Bframes and a GOP of 150 (software had it autoset to 250) and 5.2 High Profile, but for my 60fpr version, I used GOP of 300, 3Bframes, and 5.2 high profile. I did 2 versions, using either CBR or VBR, and 2nd pass, but only VBR for 4k due to size, so basically I have 5 versions of Nice. For the "SD" which you may wonder why I bothered to do, I used CBR, and it looks amazing. The after effects from AVS Video editor helped alot (even though AVS is pretty simple) with the sharpness and gamma setting, but I used daVinci resolve for the colors and to optimize the video's motion.

hahahaha this moment reminds me of when in Truth or Dare M has to freak Spench and English LOL baby I have no idea what ur saying but I'm so happy the YOU'RE happy with the result! Hope we get to see it! Hard work pays off in the end.

16 hours ago, Andymad said:

hahahaha this moment reminds me of when in Truth or Dare M has to freak Spench and English LOL baby I have no idea what ur saying but I'm so happy the YOU'RE happy with the result! Hope we get to see it! Hard work pays off in the end.

and anyone who knows me/knows of me (most of you do I am guessing) also know that my annoying OCD, that irritated 1 or 2 members over the years (or more like most members? ) is the reason that the 2 concerts I worked on for 6 months are so good. I am bragging a bit I am sorry, but what I did is "undoable" according to a professional, so I can only be happy that I for sure created the best BAT versions available. I appologize for the brag, but I am just so proud, I made a piece of crap look like that, with 0 experience, I could hardly restart a computer  ?

On 12/7/2020 at 4:01 AM, Bat-Fan said:

links to both shows are coming soon. However I am still not sure if I want to post the links in the video section here, because I dont want a certain member to make fun of my 4 months of hard work, and he will 100% do just that and I am not up for any more drama. Of cource I can send you the links after I upload them, via PM? If you want a physical copy, I have a pro printer (also prints the discs) and I  can make the physicals and send you for free. Not doing this to profit, but not to be made fun of either. Mostly I did it because I REALLY wanted to. But I will share with anyone who is interested.

Well man, I find your screenshots quite good and I'd really really like to have the possibility to get the download links when you'll be ready. Thanks for your work (and fuck the critics, do your thing man :thumbsup:)

The images look stunning. You have obviously done a great deal of work to make the viewing of this iconic tour to be a much more pleasing experience than it already was. I look forward to possibly be able to see your great work xxx

On 12/16/2020 at 4:11 AM, stefo said:

Well man, I find your screenshots quite good and I'd really really like to have the possibility to get the download links when you'll be ready. Thanks for your work (and fuck the critics, do your thing man :thumbsup:)

thank you. You are truly wonderful ?

On 12/16/2020 at 3:29 PM, PWCCA said:

The images look stunning. You have obviously done a great deal of work to make the viewing of this iconic tour to be a much more pleasing experience than it already was. I look forward to possibly be able to see your great work xxx

yes, a great deal of work is putting it mildly. I had to even color correct individual scenes and sometimes groups of frames, with davinci Resolve, this all needed to be done before Topaz AI, so I had to basically cut it to pieces and then overlay the audio, which I also worked on a great deal. But dont worry, its all 100% in synch, Madonna didnt take any part of the project. ? I look forward to fans response but I am a bit nervous too. To spend so much time, energy and failing so many times, before getting it this good, it would sting a bit if people disliked it. But its ok. Many sleepless nights and alot og money and patience. That is why I am a bit reluctant to post the Nice/Japan concerts in the video thread. I have gotten so many nasty comments before for being an obsessed loon with this tour. But my heart and soul went into this project. I feel like I created something extraordinary, yet I am terrified of negative feedback. 

5 hours ago, Bat-Fan said:

yes, a great deal of work is putting it mildly. I had to even color correct individual scenes and sometimes groups of frames, with davinci Resolve, this all needed to be done before Topaz AI, so I had to basically cut it to pieces and then overlay the audio, which I also worked on a great deal. But dont worry, its all 100% in synch, Madonna didnt take any part of the project. ? I look forward to fans response but I am a bit nervous too. To spend so much time, energy and failing so many times, before getting it this good, it would sting a bit if people disliked it. But its ok. Many sleepless nights and alot og money and patience. That is why I am a bit reluctant to post the Nice/Japan concerts in the video thread. I have gotten so many nasty comments before for being an obsessed loon with this tour. But my heart and soul went into this project. I feel like I created something extraordinary, yet I am terrified of negative feedback. 

I hear you honey. I mean look, you take it with a grain of salt. Same as M or anybody else releasing their art. I see it as art, I couldn’t fathom where to begin when upscaling. But if you can take the heat and criticism then definitely post your work. Just know for every negative dislike you have a few more positive likes. If you’re not sure if you’re proud of it then you won’t be confident in the final product. But you seem to really be happy with it. You do you child.

Make a preview :) see what kind of feedback you get. That’s always a good start. 

On 12/18/2020 at 2:44 PM, bedtimestory said:

flawless editing! This will probably be the BEST version here

I think it is yes. Also Japan. Would you like to see sceenshots from the Yoko show? It is almost ready. I wanted to finish Nice first because it was MUCH more difficult to do. The source of the Japan I have was so good that less pre-processing was needed. The version I have is one that I havent seen here in the download section. Less failed attempts to get the Yoko one looking very good.