Rupert Everett has change of heart after calling Madonna a ‘whiny old barmaid’

Voguerista

I'm glad Rupert doesn't have hard feelings anymore. Life is too short....

Rupert Everett has change of heart after calling Madonna a ‘whiny old barmaid’

It’s been 14 years since Rupert Everett referred to Madonna as a “whiny old barmaid” — but the actor has since changed his tune.

During a visit to the “Lorraine” show Friday, the 61-year-old actor was asked about the insulting comparison he made within the pages of his 2006 autobiography, “Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins.”

“I don’t think though that you ever made up with Madonna,” began host Lorraine Kelly. “Because I remember in your book you called her a whiny old barmaid, which I thought was quite an interesting description.”

“That was an experience working with her, wasn’t it?” she continued. “You get taken into the bubble of Madonna, but then when you’re out, you’re out.”

Everett disagreed, insisting that he no longer has any hard feelings towards the 62-year-old artist.

“Well, no, we are friends,” he told Kelly. “I’m a great admirer of her as a person. I think she as well is an amazing woman. And where tenacity has taken her is unbelievable. And so I have great respect for her.”

The former BFFs were once thick as thieves before co-staring in 2000 box office bomb “The Next Best Thing,” where they played friends who decide to have a child together, which leads to a custody battle.

Everett claimed back in October that the movie’s failure and his bio took a toll on their friendship.

“We don’t see each other anymore. I do miss it,” he told The Daily Mail. “She’s an amazing person and that part of my life was incredibly exciting. To be doing a film with her and to be a friend of hers and to have been such a fan of hers.”

“But the fallout from the movie’s failure was gigantic for me, like an outer-space explosion.”

16 hours ago, deathproof said:

I really don’t find that offensive, and the Madonna moments in the book are the best highlights and are actually very positive about her...

Same - and I'm pretty sure Madonna has owned that and even said she can be lol.

She's a perfectionist- so of course she's going to want things to be just so, and I guess that's her downfall when it comes to acting, as she over thinks, which leads to scenes being over acted, or over processed.

But, having said that,  The Next Best Thing didn't fail cause Madonna was the co-star, it failed cause the public didn't like the rubbish script lol. It had no real substance - it was like a school stage play - which is fine, I loved her in it, I loved her Abbie 'look' - the cool blue nails, tossed hair, the old car lol.  But, the script was rubbish - which is on Rupert - it would not have mattered who was the co-star if it stayed with Helen Hunt, or if it was Nicole Kidman, Lizzo, Dua - it would still have bombed. 

On 12/14/2020 at 9:51 PM, Jackie said:

But, having said that,  The Next Best Thing didn't fail cause Madonna was the co-star, it failed cause the public didn't like the rubbish script lol. It had no real substance - it was like a school stage play - which is fine, I loved her in it, I loved her Abbie 'look' - the cool blue nails, tossed hair, the old car lol.  But, the script was rubbish - which is on Rupert - it would not have mattered who was the co-star if it stayed with Helen Hunt, or if it was Nicole Kidman, Lizzo, Due - it would still have bombed. 

Yep, it wasn't a great film. Comedy first half of the movie turn into courtroom drama was just too much. You need to have a really good script to make such a radical shift. But I understand why Madonna liked it and accepted the role, it was different and interesting.

TBW+-+Maybe+you%2527re+the+next+best+thi

14 hours ago, Jackie said:

Same - and I'm pretty sure Madonna has owned that and even said she can be lol.

She's a perfectionist- so of course she's going to want things to be just so, and I guess that's her downfall when it comes to acting, as she over thinks, which leads to scenes being over acted, or over processed.

But, having said that,  The Next Best Thing didn't fail cause Madonna was the co-star, it failed cause the public didn't like the rubbish script lol. It had no real substance - it was like a school stage play - which is fine, I loved her in it, I loved her Abbie 'look' - the cool blue nails, tossed hair, the old car lol.  But, the script was rubbish - which is on Rupert - it would not have mattered who was the co-star if it stayed with Helen Hunt, or if it was Nicole Kidman, Lizzo, Dua - it would still have bombed. 

And for that movie we were left without an exclusive tour for Ray Of Light, uff you don't know how much I hate that old woman for doing that, obviously I love her but I also hate her for that??

29 minutes ago, OhBabyReadyOrNot said:

But she is very whiny (and also unappreciative). Not sure why Rupert Everett expressing himself is such a bad thing. I'm also unsure why people are so afraid of saying negative things about this woman. Let's get real here.

100% Agree, but he can't wonder why there's no contact after. 

I also don’t mind his previous opinions on M; I mean, why do some fans even “feel” offended? The only one entitled to that here is Madonna. Period. 

That said, I’m glad that, all in all, he respects and admires her still. Too bad they don’t speak to each other anymore, though why would they?

This episode with Rupert Everett is also a reminder to us fans of how much M guards her personal life — even if some take her IG so seriously. She’s rather unforgiving with people who break her trust, as we’ve seen... from Rupert to Christopher to Junior Vasquez. I don’t blame her... She’s right to be cautious; everyone will want a piece of her and sell it to the public (whether is the media or a tell-all autobiographical book). 

Hearing celebrities mouthing off about other celebrities is only testament to their enormous immaturity. It’s on the individual for participating in elevating famous people to the level we do collectively. All of it is vapid and stupid outside of the context of the accomplishment of pushing against limitation. Madonna embodied this for so many years, but all fame has become irrelevant. It is nothing more than a placeholder for time and space. Rupert Everett was embittered by his obsession with himself and his fleeting fame. Only in very recent memory has he seemingly gotten a giant does of humble pie, but mostly he still seems to endlessly complain despite this alleged enlightenment! It’s hard to age out of beauty, but mortality is universal.