Words and Music: Swim

RUADJAI

ba16d2ba718adad76c55edf34e025093--music-

Electric guitars, Vocals that resemble whale calls, and words of changing the trajectory we are on in this world make up one of the most underrated tracks of her career. A song she has never performed live, but placed on the album Ray of Light before the rambunctious title track. I would argue for good reason.  

Some lines that I don't quite get or understand the reference are in the second verse:

"...Students rape their teachers...

...While the churches burn their preachers..."

They seem to be describing real world problems, but I don't get their references. The words "rape" and "burn" may be a metaphor for something else, but I don't really get what she's referring to. You guys have any ideas?

What do you guys think about this song? 

Put your head on my shoulder baby
Things can't get any worse
Night is getting colder sometimes
Life feels like it's a curse
I can't carry these sins on my back
Don't want to carry any more
I'm gonna carry this train off the track
I'm gonna swim to the ocean floor
Crash to the other shore
Swim to the ocean floor
Children killing children while the
Students rape their teachers
Comets fly across the sky
While the churches burn their preachers
We can't carry these sins on our back
Don't want to carry anymore
We're gonna carry this train off the track
We're gonna swim to the ocean floor
Crash to the other shore
Swim to the ocean floor
Let the water wash over you
Wash all over you
Swim to the ocean floor
So that we can begin again
Wash away all our sins
Crash to the other shore
I can't carry these sins on my back
Don't want to carry any more
I'm gonna carry this train off the track
I'm gonna swim to the ocean floor
Crash to the other shore
Swim to the ocean floor
We can't carry these sins on our back
Don't want to carry anymore
We're gonna carry this train off the track
We're gonna swim to the ocean floor
Crash to the other shore
Swim to the ocean floor

I don’t think the rape and burn bit was actually referring to literal real life events at that time, it was always a bit metaphorical to me. The loss of respect, structure, order so to speak. I have always loved the song although the lyrics are way darker than the music would let on. I like the guitar in the beginning the most. The whale calls are great too. It was no single material at the time but one of my favorite album tracks. There is nothing I‘d skip on this album (except for ROL sometimes, too frantic).

I like it and the message, the lyrics and the vibe are perfect as second track but it's not very... "her"? Whatever it is that makes a song a Madonna song.

Actually, as with "Candy Perfume Girl", "Swim" was originally by Orbit and Susannah Melvoin too but she only got credit for "Candy Perfume Girl":

Melvoin maintains she also wrote the original lyrics to Ray of Light‘s “Swim,” which, she says were “changed, but not significantly,” as well as the original melodies, which she concedes were “manipulated.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/feature/madonnas-ray-of-light-6-things-you-didnt-know-197343/

I've always loved this song! It's a great song from the Ray of Light track list. 

The lyrics:
"Students rape their teachers
Comets fly across the sky
While the churches burn their preachers"

These lyrics can be interpreted by different people in different ways, but what I personally took out of it was that we destroy those who are, allegedly, trying to protect us while time just continues on.

I really worship this album, so thank you for the question, I've never thought about it before. 

If it's true she didn't write the lyrics (thank you for the info), it could be interesting to understand why she decided to record the song, because, as many said, lyrics are very dark and apocalyptic. From my point of view, she associated them to the excerption from the Book of Revelation which describes the figure of Babylon the Great as 'the mother of the abominations on the Earth': in this case the lyrics could depict a society which is the raw and violent representation of Babylon and on the other hand her will to not be part of it any more (I can't carry these sins on my back/ Don't want to carry any more). However it's fascinating how many times she referred to this biblical character: first The Reinvention Tour, which should have been called The Whore of Babylon Tour (is it true or just a fake?), then 'Wash all Over Me' ... She should do a concept album about it.

Edited by Loki (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

I like it and the message, the lyrics and the vibe are perfect as second track but it's not very... "her"? Whatever it is that makes a song a Madonna song.

Actually, as with "Candy Perfume Girl", "Swim" was originally by Orbit and Susannah Melvoin too but she only got credit for "Candy Perfume Girl":

Melvoin maintains she also wrote the original lyrics to Ray of Light‘s “Swim,” which, she says were “changed, but not significantly,” as well as the original melodies, which she concedes were “manipulated.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/feature/madonnas-ray-of-light-6-things-you-didnt-know-197343/

.....I'd say it's quite different, there's different verses/lyrics and melody.

The Church recording studio where Orbit created most of Ray Of Light is in a nice villagey part of London called crouch end. In 97-99 I used to work at a Record store practically opposite the Old converted church and would sit on the steps outside for my lunch when the weather was fine. The way I was munching on a cheese and pickle sandwich when the other side of the wall I was leaning on the Ray Of Light and probably Music album was being created. 
I like to think that some of those first vibrations passed through my bones into my soul as pickle dripped down my chin. 

“Never forget who you are...

...pickle jar”

Swim has always been one of my favorite songs from "Ray Of Light". I was sold with that first listen and thought for sure it would be a single and/or atleast performed on tour at the time. She could have had such a creative video (or backdrop video) to go with the lyrics and story. What I'd give to see it still performed on tour someday.

7 hours ago, luluthecat said:

Interesting... the doodles at the beginning are definitely SWIM related, however the music then turns into what sounds like a demo for  Drowned World/Substitute for Love. Maybe that's why the final product has a double name, comes from a few demos put together?

2 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

Interesting... the doodles at the beginning are definitely SWIM related, however the music then turns into what sounds like a demo for  Drowned World/Substitute for Love. Maybe that's why the final product has a double name, comes from a few demos put together?

That’s not the full demo that William originally shared tho. It’s like a 12 minute track, and After 5 mins it goes into swim, just without the Madonna lyrics.

It’s interesting, she (Madonna) took the water/swim element from the song and turned it into a completely new song, except kept the same instrumentation.

26 minutes ago, deathproof said:

That’s not the full demo that William originally shared tho. It’s like a 12 minute track, and After 5 mins it goes into swim, just without the Madonna lyrics.

It’s interesting, she (Madonna) took the water/swim element from the song and turned it into a completely new song, except kept the same instrumentation.

ok, I see what you're saying. 

It seems like Orbit really just created a bunch of stuff and then either M had to edit... or Orbit edited himself / took elements from different demos to use all over the place. The end of Pure Shores is definitely a finished version of Swim though, musically. but like I said the beginning is one piece of the puzzle for Drowned World/Substitute for Love.

13 hours ago, RUADJAI said:

Yes, I think Drowned World is the title of the original instrumental track with the "Why I Follow Tigers" sample, it's out there somewhere. 

I believe I once read Swim was supposed to be released as a single. Apparently Norman Cook (aka Fatboy Slim) was asked to remix the song, but since he hated it Swim was canceled as a single. Unfortunately I can't find this information on the web, so do take it with a grain of salt.

On 12/15/2020 at 9:15 PM, deathproof said:

I have the full version (with the first part being the same as here, a very early version of All Saint's Pure Shores segueing into what turned out to be Swim). There's also a few vocals on the second half of the song but not with the lyrics of the final Madonna-version. Orbit also shared the concept for Candy Perfume Girl and although Susannah Melvoin hardly "sings" the lyrics, they're definitely pretty much the final lyrics we can hear on the Madonna recording. So judging by these leaks I'd say that Madonna's input in creating Candy Perfume Girl was pretty minimal whereas she contributed quite a bit to Swim, i.e. the lyrics.

Swim was supposed to be performed as as third song on RIT, the backdrop that was later used for Frozen actually matched Swim better (the same way the backdrop used for Material Girl actually fits I'm So Stupid better).

It's a pity that Madonna keeps ignoring what is her most critically acclaimed record, never digging out any of the superb album-tracks. Swim needs to be performed live, so do Skin, Nothing Really Matters and The Power Of Good Bye. Maybe she might perform them on her next tour when she needs to cut down the dancing even more. However, looking at how she presents herself on instagram I feel that she's never been farer away from the topic the song on ROL deal with than these days. It would just look odd seeing pink hair tattooed Madonna with her grillz singing a song like Swim.

Let us remember that Madonna is a woman with strong religious convictions, therefore I am not surprised at all by those phrases of Swim, which surely Madonna would be based on that biblical passage from the Gospel of Saint Matthew that says: And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

9 hours ago, ShantiAshtangi said:

Maybe she might perform them on her next tour when she needs to cut down the dancing even more. However, looking at how she presents herself on instagram I feel that she's never been farer away from the topic the song on ROL deal with than these days. It would just look odd seeing pink hair tattooed Madonna with her grillz singing a song like Swim.

She doesn't really perform with grillz tho. I agree that these Ray of Light songs deserve a performance.