Madonna Songs You Hated Then Loved!

Voguerista

One of those songs for me is God Control. At first, I couldn’t see why fans were loving it. I thought it was just awful and a mess. But wow, now I think God Control is true brilliance. It’s like a rollercoaster...and how is it someone make a song into a rollercoaster?! I just love it. 

And don’t hate me for this, lol, but, I never liked Crazy For You until the last few years. I’m kind of waiting for this to happen with Take A Bow , but, I don’t know? :laughing:

A lot of the songs on Music. Whilst at the time I never 'hated' them, I really couldn't get into them at all.... the album just didn't resonate with me. So after I listened to it on release day, I returned it to the shop for a refund (stupidly). Then the Drowned World Tour came to London... I saw it, and fell in love with the songs. I re-bought the album after the show, gave it another go, and now I quite like the album. I never really gave the album enough of a chance the first time round (stupidly). There are songs on the album I still don't like (I Deserve It, WIFLFAG, and Impressive Instant), but the rest is pretty great. I will never rank it amongst my favourites, but it certainly was a grower for me.

When I listened to 'Erotica' for the first time I hated it. I grew up in a very Catholic family (especially my mother) so some topics were taboos, in particular sex and sexuality, but since I was a child I've read about everything (when I was 13 I read the biblical prophecies, just for fun ?) and I've always been intrigued by psychology, mainly Freud, and psychiatry. So, after the first listening of Erotica, I started to analyze lyrics and connected them with what I read about human sexual behavior: it was a revelation,'cause the album bloomed in front of my eyes and I appreciated the depth and the precision of the lyrics about human feelings about love, sexual relationships, jealousy and so on. This approach brought me to understand the choice to record an album infused with hip-hop, new jack swing, house and jazz and the choice to not sing but to speak and whisper the lyrics. I can safely assure that, along with her darkest and most complex albums like 'American Life' and 'Ray of Light', 'Erotica' is one of my favorite albums from her (love her dark, intellectual and quirky side). 

2 hours ago, artlover said:

what

I was a teenage boy, trying to fit into a heteronormative world.  The songs seemed a bit too bubblegum pop to me lyrically.  As with many closet cases, I shied away from signs that I would was a gay guy and bubblegum pop was one of those signs.  Then Madonna emerged on steroids in the videos and she was sexier than ever.  I was a weak little kid.  What can I say?  It was 1989 and the world hated gay people. Madonna was mainstream but a trailblazer.  I wasn't ready for 15 more years.

Express Yourself, the song that made me fan...  :confused:

First I hated the album version, then the video premiered with the Shep Pettibone remix and suddenly I loved with passion the video and the Shep Pettibone remix. I was obsessed with the video and the remix. So I became a fan thanks to "Express Yourself". Now, of course, I love the album version, but it's my least favorite version.

Other tracks:

Erotica, Justify My Love, Bedtime Story, Fever, Living for Love and many more. Now I can't live without these songs.

I don't know why Madonna's songs always works in me in this way, I usually don't like her songs at the first play but after three or four replays, I really start to love them. Maybe it's because she never never recycles her old songs

9 hours ago, PWCCA said:

A lot of the songs on Music. Whilst at the time I never 'hated' them, I really couldn't get into them at all.... the album just didn't resonate with me. So after I listened to it on release day, I returned it to the shop for a refund (stupidly). Then the Drowned World Tour came to London... I saw it, and fell in love with the songs. I re-bought the album after the show, gave it another go, and now I quite like the album. I never really gave the album enough of a chance the first time round (stupidly). There are songs on the album I still don't like (I Deserve It, WIFLFAG, and Impressive Instant), but the rest is pretty great. I will never rank it amongst my favourites, but it certainly was a grower for me.

If you're able to appreciate bland songs such as Amazing and Runaway Lover (the worst tracks on Music), you should do the same with I Deserve It, WIFLFAG, and Impressive Instant, which are one billion times better :angel:

In 1990 I hated I'm Breathless 'cause I was expecting an album entirely produced by Pettibone, but after thirty years... well, I still hate it :lol:

To me, it's just a rushed album, a compilation of cheesy songs; never get the appeal.

Back on topic. Pretender, Jimmy Jimmy, How High, Over and Over, One More Chance, I'm So Stupid, Celebration, Intervention, etc etc: I don't think they are all that great, but they are good/funny tracks anyway.

And I still dislike almost everything from the last ten years.

Edited by Renato Iodice (see edit history)