"Evita" ~ Your Memories Of Seeing It The First Time

Voguerista

This time of year, I always think of "Evita" being I saw it in a small little theatre in Jackson, Wyoming when it was cold and snowy. I was in Jackson to watch a sled race (a preliminary race before the Iditarod). We needed something to do after being out all day. To my surprise, the theatre downtown had a showing and it was even half full. I was so mesmerized from the moment it started. Madonna's voice was just heaven all through out the movie and she looked more beautiful than ever. Do you remember where you saw "Evita" the first time? Also, how many people were there to watch it? Do you have any other memories?

One of the best days of my lIfe!

I saw it the day it came out in my town. I had to wait a few days, but I kept calling the cinema on the phone with different voices ("When is Evita showing?") so they finally put it out!

I entered the theatre at 4 pm, went out at midnight. I saw it 4 times in a row!

After the first minute I was already crying...

I started to like musicals when I first heard M would do Evita in 1992. Probably the first musical I bought was the Evita London cast cd.

My first role (in a regional production) was, by coincidence (maybe not?), Magaldi!

It was an exciting time. Despite not liking musicals or operas, I was keen to see the film. Radio was playing You Must Love Me and the remix of DCFMA. She looked beautiful. Radiant.

I remember going to Leicester Square for the premiere and seeing her as she stepped onto the red carpet. It was cold and there was rain that night, but the atmosphere was magical.

I remember Peirs Morgan got his grand wish to finally interview her for The Sun and brought her flowers. Long before her turned on her and became something horrible.

I wanted to see the film as early as possible so I tried to find a morning screening. The earliest I found was a cinema in Fulham, so travelled from Hackney by bus stupidly early and bought my ticket at 9am on opening day.

And I saw the film. It was hard to stay focused and to follow it all but I enjoyed the cinematography. My favourite was Eva's Final Broadcast and Waltz for Eva and Che. And of course Don't Cry for Me Argentina.

I was glad to have experienced it although it really wasn't my thing and haven't seen the film again since then. 

Months later, it was amazing to see her performance at the Oscars. And her Golden Globe win. 

It really was a great time. The 90s was a decade that offered so many different sides to Madonna that you never knew what would come next.

And Ray of Light was just around the corner!

It was released to the cinema in my hometown for a special screening on Boxing Day (Dec 26th), about a week before it hit the general UK release date. I was so excited... and I absolutely fell in love with the movie. I watched it a further 5 times after it was on general release... still loving it. Strangely, I can't really bear to watch it now... I always switch off after the first few songs every time I try. However, I do on occasion, listen to the soundtrack... with a lot of skips lol

I had a bad experience when it was released in my hometown in Spain. The cinema was packed, but many young people believed that "Evita" was a regular movie with a pair of Madonna's songs. After 60 minutes the young people started to complain out loud because the movie was a musical, and after that they started to leave the cinema. At the end, the cinema was half empty. It really was a sad experience.

1 hour ago, o_g_c_x said:

I saw it at the Premiere in Madrid with Madonna, Banderas and Almodovar. Surreal.

do you've any pictures? Congrats!

I saw it twice the same day I was astonished by the visual itself.

Cinematography/Production-Costume design left me jaw dropped

and of course the music

and of course .....her 

I remember going to a movie and  seeing the 'coming soon' trailers and one that said something  like 'the  most eagerly anticipated movie of the year'. I didn't know immediately it was for Evita but it looked epic and at the end of it was her hauntingly singing the words "don't cry for me Argentina'. Couldn't wait for it

I saw this in my local theatre when it came out as well in a small town in Indiana so of course there was hardly anyone else there in the theatre but I could have cared less! I was 16 & I've never really enjoyed movies where the theatre is packed & there are alot of people reacting, whispering, laughing what have you..... the less the better to me. Anyway I made my dear Mom go with me because I honestly thought it would be something she would enjoy & I also secretly wanted her to see M doing something non-sex related for a change. It was cold, snowy & I remember Princess Diana had just gotten killed in that horrible car accident just weeks before I saw the film. There was such an overwhelming feeling of thinking about her while watching the movie especially the funeral procession scenes that I was a crying hysterical mess when it was time to walk out of the theatre. My Mom couldn't believe I was crying like that & to tell the truth I couldn't either I wasn't expecting to be so touched by the experience. I was very upset with the death of Diana even tho I was from a small town in IN it affected me greatly. I had also lost a best friend in a car accident which I think only fueled the sad reaction & feelings. There was something about seeing that film in a movie theatre with the huge screen & the surround sound blasting it was AMAZING!!! Truly a great experience! I was beyond impressed with everything about it most of all Madonna's performance. I hadn't been a huge fan of musicals up to that point, but it sparked something in me & I have loved them ever since! I still watch this randomly because it takes me back to a certain time & place the memories of going with my Mom to see it is a special memory for me & I just fell even more in love with Madonna of course after it. It was literally magical! I was so glad that somewhere around me was showing it because I was afraid I would have to travel an hour plus just to find a theatre that was screening it, but I was pleasantly surprised! 

Definitely one of M's finest performances it was like one long music video in a way only with extras & other people singing. I will never forget seeing her death scene I just couldn't hold back the tears she did a crazy good job of acting that particular scene! Even my Mom said it was a good movie & that she did a good job which is saying ALOT for my Mom. She has never been a fan of Madonna & I think watching her young son be so crazy about her & begging to get things like the Sex book & Justify My Love VHS single & to rent the Body Of Evidence movie etc.... it just traumatized her at the time LOL but now that she sees that I am still in love with M I think she understands completely - God knows it has been a long journey & she has been there since the start of it. I wish they would re-release Evita sometimes around the holidays for a random theatre run I would love to see it again in that environment! 

Loved reading all the other stories too btw so cool! I think this is one of those movies kind of like Titanic that just had a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT experience seeing it in a movie theatre! It gave it so much more of a LIFE than watching it on a TV or with the volume not turned up to a decently loud setting. LOVE LOVE LOVE this movie & the memories of the time it came out! 

47 minutes ago, Brandon Clark said:

I think this is one of those movies kind of like Titanic that just had a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT experience seeing it in a movie theatre! It gave it so much more of a LIFE than watching it on a TV or with the volume not turned up to a decently loud setting.

Well, I not agree... Not everyone lives in a big city. Try to see Evita in a small cinema with mono sound (stereo with lucky). Too loud but with the quality sound really bad (I'm talking about 20 years ago).

Give me Evita on Blu-ray or 4k with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 in a big TV screen. That is an incredible experience, better than my hometown cinemas.

I was 11 when it was shown here in the Philippines January 1997.  I was with my sister, I fell in love with the soundtrack and eventually, Madonna. 

Was familiar with Like A Virgin, Material Girl and Take A Bow prior to that, Evita made me a fan.

Would love if it will be played again in cinemas, but I know it is just wishful thinking.  Contenting myself with the blu-ray release and the Japanese 2 Disc Soundtrack.

I'm Argentina and always will be.

To be honest, I don't remember the first time I saw it.

But I DO remember when it came out here it Canada I think it was PG-13 or something? I was too young to go to the theatre and see it. And if I wasn't I'm sure nobody wanted to take me.  My life has had a history of family and friends rolling their eyes at my admiration for M.  So at the time, I remember being super depressed that I couldn't see it right away. And now I love love love it.

It still baffles me that this movie hasn't received a decent anniversary release on DVD/blu ray. Well, this coming year marks the 25th anniversary, so here's hoping that it gets the love it deserves

Evita places on third on my list of favourite movies, my absolute favourite being Das Boot, closely followed by The Good, The Bad And The Ugly. I got to see Evita on the big screen in early July '97 with a close friend and a fellow Madge fan whose mum drove us to the theater and picked up us later. I had already memorized the music and the lyrics from listening to the soundtrack religiously every day for six months, so I knew what to expect, and sang along silently. Lament still gets me everytime.

On 12/28/2020 at 8:09 PM, Aiwa08 said:

Well, I not agree... Not everyone lives in a big city. Try to see Evita in a small cinema with mono sound (stereo with lucky). Too loud but with the quality sound really bad (I'm talking about 20 years ago).

Give me Evita on Blu-ray or 4k with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 in a big TV screen. That is an incredible experience, better than my hometown cinemas.

I haven't had an opportunity to watch it this way as I do not own a 4K or Blu-Ray of the movie or a very big TV either but I am sure it is amazing!! Was still something about seeing it in the theatre that was magical I don't remember the sound being bad or anything like that in my local theatre so it was a nice experience for sure! 

I still have my ticket stub. I remember buying the magazines and that Making of Evita photo book they released.

You Must Love Me was and still is gorgeous. What a fucking hard song to sing too! She got so much shit for being cast in this but her vocals on DCFMA are the best I've heard from anyone. Everyone else sounds like they are yelling it at me. And "Eva's Final Broadcast"! Whew! *dabs mascara*

Those Miami mixes were a MOMENT. The Francanapa sample. The Niki and Donna vocals. Mixing in the crowd chanting. I think its one of her most underrated moments ever. Got tons of radio play. I'm obsessed. I think its right up there with "Vogue".

The birth of Lola and her appearances on Oprah and Rosie. The Golden Globes. The circus around Evita is just as if not more enjoyable than the movie itself. She worked really hard and her styling was immaculate.

An ERA.

I saw it with my mom on a freezing winter day in my small hometown in Michigan. There weren't many people in the theater but it was the first viewing of the day. I just remember being blown away by her voice and acting skills. I got teary eyed after Lament and my mom was crying for awhile after we left the movies. We bought the soundtrack a few months later and it was in heavy rotation in our house. Plus I became obsessed with Eva Peron afterwards - she was such an amazing woman and I love learning about her. 

I wasn't too happy about that movie, actually. To this day that film is still a dissapointment. Madonna did a good job, but Madonna as Eva Peron was more about looks than the strange relationship between Evita and her people, not to mention her enemies.  I think this was Madonnas golden ticket to a more conventional phase in her career.