The budget of M's music videos

GhostOrchid

Ok so I've been doing some research about promotion Madonna singles were getting from the label and I got to the music videos. Now we all know Everybody cost 5k and Bedtime Story cost 5mil (plus EY, DAD and GMAYL are on the list of most expensive videos ever), but what about the rest?

Does anybody have the info on production cost of all Madonna's official music videos? 

Would be interesting to compare the figures ???

3 hours ago, bedtimestory said:

Shocked to see DAD was exoensive, it seems simple. Plus the videos image quality was horrid.

I never understood what exactly in that video cost 6.1 million USD.

Could be the CGI, but there weren't that many used tbh. Whenever I see it i always wonder the same thing ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 7:35 PM, Ian said:

nowadays she goes for around 300k a video according to her as she mentioned on this video a while back , that's what she was calculating for the Faz Gostoso vid that never "got funding" lol

true, however music videos nowadays generally cost less than they used to 20+ years ago. MTV is not where it used to be anymore and the technology has advanced so all the technical/graphic work is cheaper as well

On 1/3/2021 at 3:11 PM, bedtimestory said:

I think Medellin looks like a more higher budget than DAD...Dad has the poorest image quality, and the sets are sketchy af.

Uhm, you do realise that image quality has little to do with the actual production cost? It's like watching a 10th generation VHS copy of "ET" and saying the movie looks low budget. :)

6 hours ago, kesiak said:

Uhm, you do realise that image quality has little to do with the actual production cost? It's like watching a 10th generation VHS copy of "ET" and saying the movie looks low budget. :)

And Die Another Day is a magnificent video. Really confused with all this hate that’s just came out of nowhere.

3 hours ago, deathproof said:

And Die Another Day is a magnificent video. Really confused with all this hate that’s just came out of nowhere.

not really hate, just bewilderment with where'd all that money go ?

I'd say Bad Girl looks expensive but noone ever mentions it in that context. DAD is a good video it just doesn't seem like it cost that much. Bedtime Story certainly looks like it was a lot.

3 hours ago, GhostOrchid said:

not really hate, just bewilderment with where'd all that money go ?

I'd say Bad Girl looks expensive but noone ever mentions it in that context. DAD is a good video it just doesn't seem like it cost that much. Bedtime Story certainly looks like it was a lot.

Special effects. Fight sequence. Stunt doubles. Green screen. All costs money...

Madonna had always gotten one of the highest video budgets of any artist.  Hell Warner's flew her to Spain just to shoot a video for Take a Bow

I always hear other Warner's artist bitch in the media about how Warner's always gave Madonna the highest budgets for her videos, even Prince complained at one time

14 hours ago, Mp1992 said:

Madonna had always gotten one of the highest video budgets of any artist.  Hell Warner's flew her to Spain just to shoot a video for Take a Bow

I always hear other Warner's artist bitch in the media about how Warner's always gave Madonna the highest budgets for her videos, even Prince complained at one time

I remember that too! ?

They talk about the costs in an old Icon issue, in 93. 

I'm going from memory - but I believe Rain was like $800,000 and Fever was $400,000. 

If anyone has the 1993 Icon issues handy (mine are packed away) you can reference them to find out the budget for a few of the videos.

Express Yourself was about a million and Bedtime Story was $2 million. I think MJ then did SCREAM and it was $5 million. 

Ray Of Light was like $100K from memory.

1 hour ago, captainjay said:

They talk about the costs in an old Icon issue, in 93. 

I'm going from memory - but I believe Rain was like $800,000 and Fever was $400,000. 

If anyone has the 1993 Icon issues handy (mine are packed away) you can reference them to find out the budget for a few of the videos.

Express Yourself was about a million and Bedtime Story was $2 million. I think MJ then did SCREAM and it was $5 million. 

Ray Of Light was like $100K from memory.

Both, Express Yourself and Bedtime Story cost around $5 million. Scream apparently cost around $7 million.

11 minutes ago, kesiak said:

Both, Express Yourself and Bedtime Story cost around $5 million. Scream apparently cost around $7 million.

According to Encyclopedia Madonnica, Express Yourself was $2 million, some which she paid for (directly out of her fee from the Pepsi commercial).

The same book does confirm Bedtime Story was $5 million.

14 hours ago, captainjay said:

According to Encyclopedia Madonnica, Express Yourself was $2 million, some which she paid for (directly out of her fee from the Pepsi commercial).

The same book does confirm Bedtime Story was $5 million.

I've read that too but literally every source cites $5 million for Express Yourself so who knows? :):
https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2014/08/24/the-top-5-most-expensive-music-videos-of-all-time/?sh=e5522e71ca52

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/strike-a-pose-madonnas-20-greatest-videos-16146/1-express-yourself-1989-45349/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/madonna-bond-michael-jackson-space-2659903