1. 1. Madonna's least favourite single

• This Used to Be My Playground
    • Rain
    • I'll Remember
    • Take a Bow
    • You'll See
    • The Power of Good-bye

15 minutes ago, GhostOrchid said:

The video was done as part of promotion for an Estee Lauder perfume, I dont think there was any additional money spent on it because they used the actual set for the commercial also directed by Luc Besson. Or maybe she agreed to let them use the song in exchange for the video.

This brief spot is 10x better than M's . I didn't know this backstory, interesting. But also disappointing. idk mixed feelings and not a M thing to my eyes. 

1 minute ago, MADAME SEX said:

This brief spot is 10x better than M's . I didn't know this backstory, interesting. But also disappointing. idk mixed feelings and not a M thing to my eyes. 

Just like the Erotica situation 10 years prior, she needed to do what it takes to soften her public image after the infamous American Life video and the backlash. AL sales really suffered, so the damage control included Me Against the Music, GAP commercial, Remixed & Revisited and this Love Profusion single/video. Didn't really help though.

1 minute ago, GhostOrchid said:

Just like the Erotica situation 10 years prior, she needed to do what it takes to soften her public image after the infamous American Life video and the backlash. AL sales really suffered, so the damage control included Me Against the Music, GAP commercial, Remixed & Revisited and this Love Profusion single/video. Didn't really help though.

She did better with the silky transformation that started with I'll remember in 1994 cause it was kinda unexpected and "fresh" . she did it, and carried trough bs and evita. But the britney featuring, the odd gap commercial and choppy CGI videos after AL were really not... good ( personal opinion) . She was on a road that she knew lead nowere BS part 2? no thanks. Eventually she found the right way with confessions, she did the miracle. 

But hey,  "her p*ssy has 9 lives" , we all know that , and thats why we love her. she takes risks and rise up in the end <3

I think her least favorite/most hated single was Material Girl because of how the media spun it to be her nickname and how they identified her as materialistic when that was definitely not the case at the time. I mean it even lead to her wishing she had never recorded the song.

Edited by AntiSkilled (see edit history)

I remember her saying that as much as she likes a song like Take A Bow she much prefers You'll See as is a more empowering inspiring song and Take a Bow is more like she is a victim in what she is singing about. I can't believe she does not like Sorry. I can't think she likes Material Girl at all the only good serious and good live performance was on the Re-Invention Tour all other performances she hasn't to treated it seriously. I don't think she is that keen on American Pie  as she said she regretted letting Warners twist her arm to include it on the Music album as it did not belong there  - she has never performed it live and left it off Celebration 

She once said she’s never perform her old stuff again didn’t she when Ray Of Light was made. So I think her opinion on things changes. 
She doesn’t perform things she can’t recreate live. The Power Of Goodbye, Take A Bow and Bad Girls singular outings are testament to this. She may like then but they don’t like her as much. 

I think she probably dislikes the Who’s That Girl songs because it was such a flop, the press turned on her and she was going through a year of marital hell. 

I’d say she’s soured on her version of American Pie too. ... and of course Gambler. 

The soundtrack songs and image softening songs seems to stick in her throat. 

14 hours ago, steady75 said:

She once said she’s never perform her old stuff again didn’t she when Ray Of Light was made. So I think her opinion on things changes. 
She doesn’t perform things she can’t recreate live. The Power Of Goodbye, Take A Bow and Bad Girls singular outings are testament to this. She may like then but they don’t like her as much. 

I think she probably dislikes the Who’s That Girl songs because it was such a flop, the press turned on her and she was going through a year of marital hell. 

I’d say she’s soured on her version of American Pie too. ... and of course Gambler. 

She's never liked American Pie. She claimed a label exec "convinced" her to record it and then tack it onto the end of certain versions of the Music album when she didn't want to. 

Take a Bow made more outings on the Rebel Heart Tour and Tears of a Clown and was rehearsed for Re-Invention so in that case, the constant omissions from the setlists might have not been due to whether or not she could recreate it but more because she thought didn't think it fit properly into those shows.

I think the only soundtrack song she has unconditional love for is Vogue (side note: does anyone else classify it as a soundtrack song?) with Into the Groove at close second because it's her second most performed soundtrack song.

Literally anytime she says she won't do something related to performing, she ends up doing again. After BA: "I'm never touring again," (has been touring with almost every album ever since). After Ray of Light: "don't expect to hear Like a Virgin or Material Girl live ever again," (cut to Re-Invention with MG, Confessions with LAV, Sticky and Sweet with LAV acapella, MDNA LAV and Rebel Heart LAV & MG). After the 2015 BRITs: "no more capes," (cut to her a few months after that wearing a cape on the Rebel Heart Tour).

Edited by Husam Elzien (see edit history)

I always assumed Madonna avoided 'Playground' as it was written about Sean Penn and the deep sadness she felt at the absolute ending of that relationship. Who wants to sing songs about their deepest heartbreaks over again? To me it's her most personal lyric and probably the closest we ever get to feeling the true melancholia inside of her.

5 hours ago, Husam Elzien said:

She's never liked American Pie. She claimed a label exec "convinced" her to record it and then tack it onto the end of certain versions of the Music album when she didn't want to. 

Mmmn, not exactly. She said she wasn't sure about recording it for the movie soundtrack, but Rupert Everett convinced her to do it.

The label executive story is he wanted to put it on the "Music" album (being a huge worldwide hit for her in the first months of 2000) but she felt the album ended with "Gone". So she made an agreement to have the 10-track album for the US and "American Pie" as track number 11 internationally. She later regretted that and it was left out of "GHV2".

I think it was about the money too - adding "American Pie" to the "Music" album she had to split royalties from the album for Don McLean too.

On 1/10/2021 at 6:38 AM, Blue Jean said:

There is no way she dislikes The Power of Goodbye.

I think so too, but she was convinced to release it as a single and then promote it which she knew she couldn't do very well and then the couple of those not so good performances happened, so probably not the best memory for her.

I don't think Madonna dislikes any of those singles. There are other singles she likes to ignore, but that doesn't mean she hates them.

There are iconic hits towards which she expressed hate. 

Maybe she only gets fed up with performing the same hit songs, while some other songs like TUTBMP are too emotional or moody for her. Or they are just side projects which aren't a big deal to her.

On 1/2/2021 at 8:04 PM, RUADJAI said:

Always wondered about that. Why we got Bye Bye Baby Remixes, but no video. 

The video was supposed to look like its performance.

Since Madonna had no idea how to make that into a music video (I don't know why this was a problem, considering Madonna has always worked with creative directors), the music video was abandoned. 

11 hours ago, Justice said:

The video was supposed to look like its performance.

Since Madonna had no idea how to make that into a music video (I don't know why this was a problem, considering Madonna has always worked with creative directors), the music video was abandoned. 

It wasn't abandoned, it was always meant to be a tour video- like Dress You Up. The only thing about Bye Bye Baby that was abandoned was the commercial single release.

On 1/9/2021 at 2:53 PM, steady75 said:

Probably even more so, when you consider that most of them are among the most successful singles of her career, while projects that she personally cared much more about flopped hilariously.

The massive success of Confessions after the American Life disaster has apparently hurt her so much as an artist that she is largely ignoring Confessions.