1. 1. Madonna's least favourite single

• This Used to Be My Playground
    • Rain
    • I'll Remember
    • Take a Bow
    • You'll See
    • The Power of Good-bye

11 hours ago, GhostOrchid said:

It wasn't abandoned, it was always meant to be a tour video- like Dress You Up. The only thing about Bye Bye Baby that was abandoned was the commercial single release.

Madonna said they didn't know how to translate the performance to screen. Therefore, it means it was supposed to be an actual music video.

Since that didn't happen, a performance was used as a promo.

22 hours ago, Justice said:

The video was supposed to look like its performance.

Since Madonna had no idea how to make that into a music video (I don't know why this was a problem, considering Madonna has always worked with creative directors), the music video was abandoned. 

Sounds weird to me too. I mean wasn't she determined to make a visual for MDNA's Superstar with her dressed as a terror bride or something? The woman can make a video out of anything :lol:

How did the OP come up with this list? Is there evidence that Madonna hated any of these releases?

She mentioned several times that she hates Material Girl. Also it’s been reported that on the set of the video she called the song “cheesy”.

She mentioned in a more recent interview she doesn’t like Cherish.

At the time she was very reluctant to releasing Vogue as a single but she was forced to. I’m sure she changed her mind on that one pretty quick though.

I think she was on board with all the ballads she released. She always seemed to be very attached to her ballads. For good reason, they’re amazing and gave her much more credibility.

I think I'll take any declarations she's made about which songs she likes or dislikes with a grain of salt, especially when some seem to be coming from interviews over 20 years ago.

Also, like all of us, she's allowed to change her mind, and like every artist, she knows she'll have to include a few crowd-pleasers to sell those tickets because it's her literal job to perform her own music.

And when she decides to throw in a song she has spoken of unfavorably in the past on a setlist, she finds a way to make it fresh for her so she can have some fun (e.g. LAV in The MDNA Tour, Material Girl in the RHT with her big wide grin and self-aware jokes).

(Also, wasn't Rain rehearsed for Madame X...?)

On 1/17/2021 at 11:22 AM, thegoldencalf said:

How did the OP come up with this list? Is there evidence that Madonna hated any of these releases?

She mentioned several times that she hates Material Girl. Also it’s been reported that on the set of the video she called the song “cheesy”.

She mentioned in a more recent interview she doesn’t like Cherish.

At the time she was very reluctant to releasing Vogue as a single but she was forced to. I’m sure she changed her mind on that one pretty quick though.

I think she was on board with all the ballads she released. She always seemed to be very attached to her ballads. For good reason, they’re amazing and gave her much more credibility.

Yeah, there needs to be a "None of the above" option as she clearly likes those songs otherwise:

• She wouldn't have put three of them in tours (Rain, You'll See, Take a Bow)
  • She wouldn't have put four of them on Something To Remember (Take A Bow, I'll Remember, This Used To Be My Playground, Rain) - She's been known to keep songs off of compilations because she doesn't like them (Hello Who's That Girl on TiC and American Pie on GHV2)
  • And on top of that she's spoken positively about all of those songs.

On 1/2/2021 at 4:03 PM, MADAME SEX said:

I think Love profusion is weak, she wanted the video for Nothing fails, wich is a remarkable song. Love profusion leaks of M vision. I can feel that. I hope I'm not the only one who noticed something off with that song.

I looked everywhere for an explanation as to why Nothing Fails didn’t get a music video, when the following single Love Profusion did. Was there ever any statement about it?

I love Love Profusion, but I was always bummed that they just skipped over Nothing Fails like that. It captures so much of the warm side of American Life.

On 1/18/2021 at 8:44 PM, brank000 said:

Yeah, there needs to be a "None of the above" option as she clearly likes those songs otherwise:

• She wouldn't have put three of them in tours (Rain, You'll See, Take a Bow)
  • She wouldn't have put four of them on Something To Remember (Take A Bow, I'll Remember, This Used To Be My Playground, Rain) - She's been known to keep songs off of compilations because she doesn't like them (Hello Who's That Girl on TiC and American Pie on GHV2)
  • And on top of that she's spoken positively about all of those songs.

I don't think she makes these decisions on her own tbh. there is a lot to consider and I think the general rule is the more money she brings to the label, the more creative freedom they give her. and vice versa: as soon as the money drops she has to suck it up and do things she wouldn't normally do. 

I don't think Something to Remember was her idea at all, it was obviously developed by Warner to soften her public image and prepare her for Evita, and possibly to make up for the "poor" sales of Erotica and Bedtime Stories (at least compared to her previous records, and especially after she just signed the unprecedented 60 million deal. she delivered artistically but not financially, and STR was supposed to fix that to an extent). As for including This USed TBMP and I'll Remember, well that's called marketing. Two chart toppers previously unreleased on a Madonna album are included to boost the sales.

As for GHV2, she obviously had more saying on that one after the massively successful ROL and Music eras. 

The bottom line is that it's a collaboration/negotiation between the artist and the label. Sometimes you give in more than you want depending on the circumstances.

On 1/19/2021 at 5:25 AM, RinoTheBouncer said:

I looked everywhere for an explanation as to why Nothing Fails didn’t get a music video, when the following single Love Profusion did. Was there ever any statement about it?

There was supposed to be a video but she decided to focus on Me Against the Music instead. It was released unexpectedly so they changed the plans for releasing the NF video as they didn't want 2 Madonna videos airing at the same time. They figured MTV would choose to air only one (and the one with the more popular Britney at the time) so NF video would be wasted money for the label.