Cringey Madonna Moments

louis.exe

On 1/6/2021 at 9:59 AM, Dito said:

All the recent weed moments. She's always been very anti-drugs, it's known. And she's not a 20 year-old stoner, she never had that kind of attitude or action, even. It's really cringey watching Insta boomerangs of her fake-smoking pot like while using a Rick & Morty t-shirt. It's so out of character.

The weed stuff kinda humanized her for me. We have all heard the stories of her smoking weed and doing drugs in the early 80's, but she was always against it when asked.   I found this to be one of the most authentic posts she's done in a long time.

Here's my list:

- grillz;

- being rude to journalists and fans;

- the 1998 ROL VMA performance;

- most of "Swept Away" and some scenes in "TNBT" (haven't seen "Shanghai Surprise"; the trailer was enough though);

- the 2019 Graham Norton show;

- overproduction on "Voices";

- "B-Day Song";

- her obsession with and excessive use of autotune, especially on "Madame X";

- the Eurovision outfit, interview and performance;

- getting political for the sake of extra publicity;

- trying too hard to stay relevant instead of being her creative self.

Also:

- "Me Against the Music";

- "Champagne Rose";

- a rare STR-era interview where she kept scowling at a poor German interviewer, interrupting her, answering in a rude manner (watching this interview made me feel sick);

- that American Life-era interview where she demanded someone open the door 'cause she was suffocating; again, she was unnecessarily rude and bossy;

- the eye-patch.

59 minutes ago, Madant said:

Apparently, she wore a different outfit for the rehearsal. The sound here has been taken off but you can still get a feeling of what it might have been like had she not changed.

Jeeezzz I hate that performance so much.....totally cringe for everyone involved. 

3 hours ago, nito84bcn said:

Why the Prince performance was cringey? Maybe not her best... but nothing bad about it 

Coming out in a trone, the tasteless (and reused) cemetery backdrop, horrible vocals... It's sad that in the last 10 years outside the superbowl this one, Eurovision and the Brits are the "iconic" Madonna performances for the general public.

3 hours ago, diegolcl said:

Coming out in a trone, the tasteless (and reused) cemetery backdrop, horrible vocals... It's sad that in the last 10 years outside the superbowl this one, Eurovision and the Brits are the "iconic" Madonna performances for the general public.

Yes!! So tacky, it looked like a chair left over from Posh n Becks wedding. I don’t get why the styling had to be so on the nose.......and why sing Nothing Compares To You, Prince has so many incredible songs to choose from!!! yes, it’s originally Prince song but people only know it because of the Sinéad O'Connor version.

Top cringe M ?....luckily she can always redeem herself with incredible tours. 

Her entire Instagram profile

Madame X Tour beer moments, interludes and the majority of the Fado club section and the staging as a whole

Her single artworks, especially from MDNA and onwards, and the atrocious PhotoShop job for Madame X standard (black hair) and the guitar black hair deluxe edition.

Her tardiness at tours and acting like it’s some cool joke that everyone should be okay with

The way she humiliates fans numerous times during Madame X Tour, especially

The atrocious pricing of her recent low quality items from a glorified tour book for $225 to a $5 straw hat sold for $400 to the child scribbling paintings for $2000.

Well...since you asked...

And since someone already said 2008 onwards, I'll narrow it down to my personal faves that drive me up the wall....

Starting a "revolution of love" while wearing real fur that says "fear" on it...

Being a manifesto writing freedom fighter because your lingerie campaign got canceled...

The lingerie. The gyms. The skin care. The perfume. The Gap ads. The H&M line. All the products that should have been done by 1989...

I know its been said and I can usually handle her cringey lyrics but "Killers" is beyond. A lot of the Madame X album/tour tbh. That polaroid bit...

Matador/ Founding Fathers fashions.

"Holiday" on the Drowned World Tour.

Aaron LaCrate's mix of "Miles Away"

The Pride set list after "Vogue". The Superbowl after "Vogue". At least "Vogue" is always perfection.

The "Jump" wig/video.

When she said she wanted Guy Ritchie's input for her music. 

"Black Madonna" ( I almost wish this happened just to watch the chaos, but after these last 4 years, I'm good).

Tracy Young remixes.

"My shoe fell off and I dove for it during 'Like a Virgin' at the VMAs..."

And I'll end by defending her. The weird English/ transatlantic whatever accent has always been there. There are interviews as early as '84 on YouTube where she sounds like that. 

And more cringey than anything she's done are the fans that can't handle any kind of criticism of her. 

hard-candy-may-13-1.jpg

The album covers, not the music. 

Hard Candy to me looks ridiculous. In fact, a lot of the pictures with the wrestling garb on, like the head piece, etc. just make me cringe so much. It looks like over trying to me, idk. And I didn't know for a long time that was a stool she was sitting on. I thought it was extra wrestling tape or something falling behind her, which made me look like she was squatting like she was going to the bathroom with a big long black thing falling out of her ass, as she seductively tries to bite tape off her hand because suddenly she has decided to needs to be a part of G.L.O.W. Besides the fact, those panties look like a diaper does not benefit this concept of photography in any way, shape or form unless it's a commercial for older wrestling ladies who need a boost in confidence and support for having urinary incontinence. The pictures in white (Snow Queen) are significantly better (and I don't mean the ones where she's in the corner where she looks like a 50 year old stripper in a padded room in a psych ward off her meds). 

Runner up below: The wires look ridiculous too. It makes her look like a "simple" person who got confused and ended up getting wires wrapped around her face and has no idea how to unravel them. So bad, to the point her mouth is all distorted with a "duh" look on her face. Her lips so badly pushed out, where she looks part-near like she has a cleft palette (which is fine if she did, but she does not). It's unfortunate because her skin, eyes and hair look amazing.

F2X7OESTAVDTBEMKOK3IG26FOY.jpg

Edited by jtrover
Laughing so hard while I type, I'm fucking my spelling up (see edit history)

On 1/6/2021 at 11:12 AM, madfan13_86 said:

Sadly, Madonna's career during the last 5/6 years has been plagued with so maney cringey moments; in fact, I'm always on edge now whenever she actually announces an appearance somewhere... my first though is usually "OMG how is she going to fuck it up this time?" Yup, it's come to that. I'm all for the freedom-champion performance artist narrative she likes to pull, but often it has nothing to do with that and a lot with lack of judgement and wisdom... like, how on Earth did she ever think that kissing Drake on stage would be a good thing to do? Or even delivering a "serious" message about the pandemic while in her bathttub & surrounded by rose petals (Even if her intentions were good, and I do think she was misinterpreted)? We live in a world where optics matter more now than ever before. Soundbites, thanks to social media, are all almigthy, and have the power to trigger anger, violence, happiness and sadness in equal measure. As independent, confident and wise as we know she could/has been... honestly, she could've done better these last few years. 

I agree with some fellow posters here about the many awful cringey moments we've "endured" recenty. Notably:

- Drake
- The horrible Aretha speech... not only was it out of touch, but she was also unashamdely recycling bits of her own 2009 tribute speech for Michael Jackson. And was the audition bit even true? Oh, and nevermind the dress. #mess
- Eurovision is probably the worst ever for me. It was really heartbreaking. Pathetic, I know. But the disappointment was real for me. A mere "we experienced tech issues during my performance" post would've done wonders, but she pretended nothing happened and the whole MX era was doomed from there. She gave all her haters the material they needed to hate on her more ("the woman cannot sing, she's a has-been, she's a fake," etc)... I remember watching Good Morning Britain the next day and hearing the harsh/hateful comments, particularly from a man Jeetendr Sehdev who called her "the most inauthetic, dishonest and media-manipulator celebrity of all time". Ouch.
- Yes, the 2015 BRIT Awards... The social media reactions were beyond brutal.
- The GIF above did remind me that the Superbowl performance had that super weird moment with LMFAO — what a horrible choice. She probably thought they were the s*** and "edgy". Little did she know...
- Every time she pretended to like Taylor Swift's music LOL
- As much as I enjoyed her brattiness during the Graham Norton 2019 interview (I really did!), it's uncomfortbale to notice how her sense of humour really seems to go nowhere with most people... she just ends up scaring everyone around her. I do enjoy her sarcasm... unfortunately it's probably not TV/Entertainment industry material... happens to her in most of her TV appearances, and perhaps more and more as time goes by. 
- When she got all bitchy at concert goers in Santiago, Chile in 2012 while she was rehearsing because allegedly someone in the audience was smoking... Truthfully (if you watch the video on youtube), she got mad at them because they had laughed at her when the wind turned her umbrella over haha. So much for her claims to having a good sense of humour. Yea, only when she can be the bully in charge. She can be so rude to us.

All of this!

• 2 weeks later...