2012 Super-Bowl Halftime Show / 1080p

RinoTheBouncer

31 minutes ago, rlittler81 said:

Just realised that this performance and the subsequent MDNA Tour were the rare occasion in the last 20 years where she changed her creative team a bit and had fresh ideas. I still think the MDNA Tour is the best thing she's done since the Confessions era.

The only bad thing from MDNA Tour, was the actul record. The show was amazing and saved it. I also think, that with years, I like the show more than before! 

17 minutes ago, nito84bcn said:

The only bad thing from MDNA Tour, was the actul record. The show was amazing and saved it. I also think, that with years, I like the show more than before! 

I saw it twice and enjoyed it so much. Felt like I was seeing a show on the scale of Blond Ambition. My friend came with me to the Edinburgh show and was wowed by the show. The record was a misfire but the tour was stunning.

4 hours ago, Alibaba said:

I understand why people might be disappointed by her not singing live, but I’ve personally reached a point with Madonna where I have heard her sing live enough to know what she is capable of

I sort of feel the same way. I do like to hear her sing live but I’ve noticed that when she lips or has a heavily backed vocal, she seems more confident in what’s going on. Like she’s not struggling to hit correct notes. I’ve noticed it more in her later years. Comparing her lipping now to say Express Yourself on the BAT in Germany, well there she just probably didn’t care because she was on top of the world then. I thought when she sang Medellin at the awards show, that was a good example of lipping/live. She was having a great time, confident, and didn’t seem arsed with sounding like shit.

10 minutes ago, Andymad said:

I sort of feel the same way. I do like to hear her sing live but I’ve noticed that when she lips or has a heavily backed vocal, she seems more confident in what’s going on. Like she’s not struggling to hit correct notes. I’ve noticed it more in her later years. Comparing her lipping now to say Express Yourself on the BAT in Germany, well there she just probably didn’t care because she was on top of the world then. I thought when she sang Medellin at the awards show, that was a good example of lipping/live. She was having a great time, confident, and didn’t seem arsed with sounding like shit.

As far as I know, Medellín was live 100%, autotuned, but live. 

3 hours ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

I don't think it would be a good idea. I can't remember the last live televised performance she did that went well and wasn't followed by a huge amount of criticism from the public. The Super Bowl is the biggest televised performance there is so I just don't know if it'll do anything good for her.

She has nothing to lose in the US, but a triumphant performance can restore a lot.

Guest Nobody Knows Me
2 hours ago, Blue Prince said:

Living for love at the Grammys was pretty much acclaimed as her introductory performance to the new era. Most watched performance of the entire show if I remember correctly. Her performance of Ghosttown with Taylor Swift also got her great reviews. Medellin wowed people. You can't tell if a performance of hers is well received judging from here because here the fans always have something negative to say. The live crowd on the other hand may never have watched Madonna perform before and she usually doesn't fail to get everyone's attention.

They haven't all been bad to be fair, but there have been more dodgy performances over the past decade and the Super Bowl is just such a huge platform so it feels like a big risk to me personally. But she could surprise me.

29 minutes ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

They haven't all been bad to be fair, but there have been more dodgy performances over the past decade and the Super Bowl is just such a huge platform so it feels like a big risk to me personally. But she could surprise me.

Exactly. Something has definitely changed.  I get it that often things can go wrong on live tv, that she doesn’t dance as much as she used to, or that she probably even experienced technical difficulties at Eurovision (at least I’d like to think so). But the accumulation of bad tv moments have been a bit overwhelming, personally. For a woman that claims to be so much of a perfectionist, at this point, even she should realise her performances have been a bit weird and way below her standards. 

Plus, am I the only one who has felt/noticed that Madonna has become increasingly nervous/uncomfortable on stage? I notice this particularly when she performs in front of “the industry”. Of course, the opposite happens when she performs for her fans. Then she just becomes a complete tyrannical bitch LOL (she would say she’s just being funny and ironic, for sure haha). 

23 minutes ago, madfan13_86 said:

I notice this particularly when she performs in front of “the industry”. Of course, the opposite happens when she performs for her fans

I’ve been thinking the same thing. There’s that and also someone else mentioned that it could be the fact that it’s a one off thing. She is a perfectionist and those nerves could be from someone a little anxious that it isn’t a performance they’ve settled into, it’s not a perfectly well tuned tour performance. So many factors. 
Nerves are a funny thing. A few years ago I was doing a musical, 8 shows a week for 6 months. It got to a point where the show just happened. Go on stage, go off stage. It actually bothered me that I wasn’t just a little bit nervous when I went on stage a few months in. It’s always exciting performing, don’t get me wrong! 
So you do get comfortable. But when it’s a one time deal then nerves run high, anxiety, you often don’t remember what just happened after the fact - it’s quite surreal.
For me it was quite awful watching her fall off those steps at the Brits. I honestly don’t think she was pissed off or mad at that time. I think it terrified her and that entire performance no matter how hard she pushed through it with a smile, she wanted it to end right there. You could see the wheels turning in her head and she frantically thinking ok keep going keep going. And she fucking nailed it. 
woo! What were we talking about again? Lol

58 minutes ago, lucasciccone said:

Well it took them a long long time to upload this performance but i'm glad they finally did it. It was a great show, I wish she at least recorded some new vocals for Music and GMAYL so the lypsinc wasn't that obvious :Madonna031: But anyways, everything was flawless.

Right?? Especially GMAYL! Well, she did record new vocals for Music, the verses "hey mr dj put a record on..."

but the chorus when she sings "Music, makes the people..." all from the album version lol.

1 hour ago, lucasciccone said:

Well it took them a long long time to upload this performance but i'm glad they finally did it. It was a great show, I wish she at least recorded some new vocals for Music and GMAYL so the lypsinc wasn't that obvious :Madonna031: But anyways, everything was flawless.

Yes, that also mean a lot of lost views / visits on the pirate uploads that were on Youtube since 2012... Her team strikes again! 

What is also very interesting is that, unlike every other artist that performed that decade, she had the biggest catalogue and sang the fewest songs. She didn't want it to be a quick reminder of her huge career, she was committed to having a natural flow between the songs. I would have liked a few more tunes in there but I applaud her for keeping the flow, unlike what Justin Timberlake or Shakira and JLo did, fitting like 12 songs in 12 minutes, which I find exhausting to listen to.

Okay so NOW that we're all talking about it, and I'm sure there's been a thread about it way back, how would y'all change it? Different songs, more songs, different opening...?

What's the tea?

Personally I think Music was too long, but I LOVED how well Party Rock went with it. I think that should have opened with the song Music as a mashup, giving more room for other inclusions.

Get rid of the Open Your Heart/EY part. MDNA tour's Papa Don't Preach was probably shorter lol.

Personally I would have loved to hear Into the Groove or close with Hung Up or Holiday (as per usual Madonna fashion). 

Opening with Vogue I think was perfect.

13 minutes ago, Andymad said:

Okay so NOW that we're all talking about it, and I'm sure there's been a thread about it way back, how would y'all change it? Different songs, more songs, different opening...?

What's the tea?

Personally I think Music was too long, but I LOVED how well Party Rock went with it. I think that should have opened with the song Music as a mashup, giving more room for other inclusions.

Get rid of the Open Your Heart/EY part. MDNA tour's Papa Don't Preach was probably shorter lol.

Personally I would have loved to hear Into the Groove or close with Hung Up or Holiday (as per usual Madonna fashion). 

Opening with Vogue I think was perfect.

All of Music was performed for some reason! It’s not even that big! Holiday, Material Girl, La Isla, or LAV should’ve been in this setlist. Give Me All Your Luvin was another wasted spot. No Ray of Light or Hung Up...? 

Don't come for me but one I would definitely consider adding would be Celebration, almost the same way she closed the MDNA Tour. Because at the end of the day, every new Madonna release, every big performance she does will end up with Celebration album blowing up on the charts more than any other. Ray of light should also earn a spot there to honour the 90's. Hung Up I'm not sure. It's the kind of song that would likely erase all the others performed live. So yeah I'd add those two I think. By the way I won't mind if I never hear Like A Prayer live again. Great song, I'm just bored of it so far along in the 21st century.

For me, this performance begins and ends with "Vogue", which is flawless. One of my favorite M moments EVER.

To follow it, I would have chosen "Holiday", "Into The Groove", "Ray of Light", "Hung Up" (I know this wasn't as huge in the US as it was worldwide upon release but by Superbowl time it was an M classic and would have gone off.) And would have preferred GGW over GAYL if it had to be an MDNA single performed. Keep that strong homosexual opening going all the way through. 

It was great seeing everyone reacting mostly really positive towards her though. That was actually the last time I remember getting that sense from the general public.

On 1/7/2021 at 5:20 PM, Enrico said:

When I saw it that night, I was very let down by the lipsynch. Rewatching it today, I appreciate the magic of the performance: the incredible sets and themes, the lights and projections, the perfect setlist, the choreographies, the guests, the  glamourous look and makeup. 

It's very well done. She should be proud. Not many could pull this off -  it's incredible.

3 hours ago, Shoful said:

All of Music was performed for some reason! It’s not even that big! Holiday, Material Girl, La Isla, or LAV should’ve been in this setlist. Give Me All Your Luvin was another wasted spot. No Ray of Light or Hung Up...? 

omg if it had been ROL, Hung Up, LAP, and La Isa all together it would have been...predictable. hahaha! The world tour go-to's! I understand the GMAYL though, the bitch had an album to promote I guess. I would have LOVED Material Girl!