Did Madonna Become Cheesy?

eXtremeOccident

1 hour ago, Blue Jean said:

His Farewell Tour has been a massive success. About 20 times more successful than Rebel Heart here in Australia.

For their older music and for people who grew up with their music. They certain aren’t relevant among younger people or for their more recent albums. Lots of people see them as irrelevant and has beens. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Glindathegood said:

For their older music and for people who grew up with their music. They certain aren’t relevant among younger people or for their more recent albums. Lots of people see them as irrelevant and has beens. 

But Madonna is totally relevant and down with the kids is she?

18 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Lol.

I think you are a minority here.

They are heritage and nostalgia artists which is industry politically correct speech for irrelevant has beens. When was the last time you heard one of their new songs on the radio?  Rocketman stopped with I’m Still Standing and didn’t mention any of Elton’s newer music after that. 

1 minute ago, Glindathegood said:

They are heritage and nostalgia artists which is industry politically correct speech for irrelevant has beens. When was the last time you heard one of their new songs on the radio?  Rocketman stopped with I’m Still Standing and didn’t mention any of Elton’s newer music after that. 

And you think Madonna’s movie will have Medellin in it?

4 minutes ago, Glindathegood said:

No, but you said they were more successful and popular than her. 

I’m not sure about Cher but Elton is definitely more popular than Madonna at the moment. I’m not sure what country you’re in so I suppose that is a factor....

And yes it is mainly to do with the movie. He did dozens and of shows here in Australia on his last tour. Madonna did half a dozen.

Just now, Blue Jean said:

I’m not sure about Cher but Elton is definitely more popular than Madonna at the moment. I’m not sure what country you’re in so I suppose that is a factor....

How do you define popular? By concert grosses? Is he more popular on recent charts in terms of his newer music? 

3 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

Did you attend his concert? I did. It wasn’t old farts. I’m also 2 months shy of being 31. You’d be surprised how many people in their 20’s and 30’s listen to the likes of Elton, Queen, and Fleetwood Mac. Good music is timeless and isn’t associated to certain generations...

2 hours ago, deathproof said:

Did you attend his concert? I did. It wasn’t old farts. I’m also 2 months shy of being 31. You’d be surprised how many people in their 20’s and 30’s listen to the likes of Elton, Queen, and Fleetwood Mac. Good music is timeless and isn’t associated to certain generations...

Exactly. And I don’t get the relevance of the movie ending with I’m Still Standing? He had many hits after that song, that was just where the movie ended.

Elton has a huge back catalogue of hits spanning 30 plus years very similar to Madonna.

I think though the main point here is that regardless of how she compares to anyone else she could and should be a lot more popular and appreciated than she currently is. She is a legacy act too but she hasn’t embraced it properly which has been a hinderance to her status.

Someone said that "Get Together" did "damage"

Ummm, what the fuck? LMAO bro... how can you even lol.

The Hard Candy era hair, yes.

But "Get Together?"

Papi let it be known, and perhaps this is a chance for you to rediscover or re-eavaluate things, that "Get Together" has become and is one of Madonna's GREATEST SONGS. Ever. Perhaps one of the greatest dance pop songs ever created. One would be a total fool to disagree. Mmmmbye! 

10 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

How do you define popular? By concert grosses? Is he more popular on recent charts in terms of his newer music? 

Nope, he's far from it he's never even had a massive grossing tour like Madonna has had with multiple tours

12 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

His Farewell Tour has been a massive success. About 20 times more successful than Rebel Heart here in Australia.

He did 26 shows in Australia and grossed around $40 million

Madonna did a mere 6 shows in Australia with her Rebel Heart Tour and grossed $14 million

Hardly, 20 times more successful and Madonna's per concert grosses were much higher in Australia than Elton's

1 hour ago, Mp1992 said:

He did 26 shows in Australia and grossed around $40 million

Madonna did a mere 6 shows in Australia with her Rebel Heart Tour and grossed $14 million

Hardly, 20 times more successful and Madonna's per concert grosses were much higher in Australia than Elton's

That's because Elton's tickets arn't overpriced like Madonna's.

8 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Exactly. And I don’t get the relevance of the movie ending with I’m Still Standing? He had many hits after that song, that was just where the movie ended.

Elton has a huge back catalogue of hits spanning 30 plus years very similar to Madonna.

I think though the main point here is that regardless of how she compares to anyone else she could and should be a lot more popular and appreciated than she currently is. She is a legacy act too but she hasn’t embraced it properly which has been a hinderance to her status.

Totally. Some of his biggest successes occurred AFTER I'm Still Standing (1983), including several number one singles and albums, the Lion King soundtrack (which was HUUUUUUGE), Aida, the Billy Elliot musical, documentaries, etc. A diva he may be, but he is still very well respected among several generations of listeners.

And yes, Madonna is in legacy act territory, but she refuses to acknowledge it. If she did, she might actually experience greater successes on her newer releases rather than constantly see sales figures and attendance figures decline. Heres hoping that the upcoming biopic reignites some interest in her back catalogue... but she and her team need to first do a lot of work in putting her hits back into the limelight before releasing the biopic to remind people just how brilliant she was back then.

43 minutes ago, PWCCA said:

And yes, Madonna is in legacy act territory, but she refuses to acknowledge it. If she did, she might actually experience greater successes on her newer releases rather than constantly see sales figures and attendance figures decline. Heres hoping that the upcoming biopic reignites some interest in her back catalogue... but she and her team need to first do a lot of work in putting her hits back into the limelight before releasing the biopic to remind people just how brilliant she was back then.

You hit the nail right on the head.  She refuses to acknowledge it, yet all her her people seem to know it. It shows whenever she is going on tour and we get those TV commercials that contain clips of all of her 80's and 90's hits. Then you go to the tour and while the setlist looks great on paper - once she starts singing some of those songs you feel like your being punked.

1 hour ago, brank000 said:

You hit the nail right on the head.  She refuses to acknowledge it, yet all her her people seem to know it. It shows whenever she is going on tour and we get those TV commercials that contain clips of all of her 80's and 90's hits. Then you go to the tour and while the setlist looks great on paper - once she starts singing some of those songs you feel like your being punked.

I think she's slowly coming around to acknowledging it with the maxi-singles starting to get added to streaming. However, it's still not enough to start seeing a payoff yet. I'm hoping that as the biopic gets closer to being released she'll start doing the press rounds and performing the older songs, hopefully in styles similar to the originals.

I realise how much Madonna hasn't changed so much as she has relaxed enough to show herself as she often was in private but never in public. Rosie O'Donnell said in 1992 that going to a party with Madonna is like going with your 13 year old brother who burps, farts and picks their nose. Or something to that affect.

The grillz and "get off my pole" and the cringey IG fit that perfectly. As does her attitude in general since about 2012. 

I'd say the only thing that actually pisses me off is how serious she takes herself sometimes, when she had more of a sense of a humour in the past. And how she acts like a real freedom fighter fighting a revolution, but it just isn't really who she is or what she is doing, at least it feels hollow to me and it feels like she takes that part of herself way too seriously.

I do find she has gotten preachier than she used to be. In 1990 she said - I don't want to slap people in the face with my message. I'm not militant to anything.

I do miss that Madonna. I think we all know what she stands for, I wish she brought back some subtlety, but I also just accept she is who she is. 

3 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

That explains why the last 2 tours had ticket prices slashed.

Which also means she had prices similar to Elton's current prices to a tour that being touted as a "greatest hits/farewell tour"

Imagine if Madonna decided to a do a long ass greatest hits/farewell tour?