New discussion & (supposed) new info about "Warning Signs"

Redha DBL

So, as we were discussing another Madonna topic on the forum, member @cyberaggastarted talking about something interesting, according to him, "Warning signs" is unfisnished. Something that had never been revealed before, as all the people who owns it or were around M when she recorded always talked about it as full finished track. The full lyrics and music sheets have leaked as well. What do you guys think ? Does anyone have any more info about it ? I think it would be cool to discuss it.

here are the original screen caps :

Screenshot_20210108-204437_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210108-204643_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Roland Barthes said:

The expectations regarding this track can only end up in great deception when we'll get it one day.

Hmmm an 80's Madonna track from the same session as Gambler and Crazy For You with cool synths and a beat similar to Gambler, i'm not so sure it could lead to great deception... the track was even intended to be on the soudtrack of Vision Quest, and it hasn't been discarded because it's bad, it's because it sounded too similar to Gambler. And honestly she hasn't recorded a "bad" song between 1982 and 1985.

1 hour ago, TonyMontana said:

Hmmm an 80's Madonna track from the same session as Gambler and Crazy For You with cool synths and a beat similar to Gambler, i'm not so sure it could lead to great deception... the track was even intended to be on the soudtrack of Vision Quest, and it hasn't been discarded because it's bad, it's because it sounded too similar to Gambler. And honestly she hasn't recorded a "bad" song between 1982 and 1985.

While the instrumental may sound similar, the new information indicates its unfinished - 

Between the lyrics/music sheet, and a *certain* song from the leaked 79 acoustic tape, it's pretty clear what WS sounds like if you can read music. It's got a pretty catchy hook and the 1983 version must indeed be good, or fun to listen to at the very least. Doesn't sound like a stinker to me. Time will tell.  :cute:

3 hours ago, DanK said:

Between the lyrics/music sheet, and a *certain* song from the leaked 79 acoustic tape, it's pretty clear what WS sounds like if you can read music. It's got a pretty catchy hook and the 1983 version must indeed be good, or fun to listen to at the very least. Doesn't sound like a stinker to me. Time will tell.  :cute:

Can you read music ?

1 minute ago, Jackie said:

So she says she sings 'three' songs and two of those three, she wrote. So could it be that the two she wrote and sung are the two that we have, the third being 'warning signs' she didn't write - and so the lyrics are there, but the new information could imply that they started it but never finished it.

Well, she filmed the movie in 1983 and this interview is from 1984. So, I think the song was finished, so she wouldn't mentioned the third song. 

On 1/10/2021 at 10:12 AM, Enrico said:

I would love to know if someone has it. Even if they don't share it!

100% people definitely have it . From my understanding the file that's being shared is not a studio version though, it's what was performed in the movie with starts and stops edited out (which makes me think a studio version doesn't exist).

12 hours ago, brank000 said:

100% people definitely have it . From my understanding the file that's being shared is not a studio version though, it's what was performed in the movie with starts and stops edited out (which makes me think a studio version doesn't exist).

Yes.

I guess most people know this but for those that don’t. The versions of Crazy for You and Gambler used in the film are earlier versions different from the final finished versions. So it’s possible it is the second version of Warning Signs that is not finished.

2 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Yes.

I guess most people know this but for those that don’t. The versions of Crazy for You and Gambler used in the film are earlier versions different from the final finished versions. So it’s possible it is the second version of Warning Signs that is not finished.

I have read a number of Madonna interviews from 1983/84. She always stated she filmed three songs for the movie, but didn't know which one(s) would be picked. So what you are saying makes the most sense in terms of Warning Signs.

I guess when Gambler and CFY were chosen, any need to polish up Warning Signs was pointless. 

6 hours ago, me1981 said:

I have read a number of Madonna interviews from 1983/84. She always stated she filmed three songs for the movie

I'd read that at the time, too. But it was never mentioned which the third song was.

9 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

The versions of Crazy for You and Gambler used in the film are earlier versions different from the final finished versions. So it’s possible it is the second version of Warning Signs that is not finished.

Since only about 2-3 minute song snippets were needed for the short performance sequences at the club, it's very possible that the third song only contains an unfinished part, maybe a verse, the chorus and something instrumental for the transition to the next movie scene.

No one knew at the time what a phenomenon Madonna would become just a short time later and that the Madonna songs / soundtrack would become even more successful than the film. Outside the U.S., after all, the movie was renamed Crazy For You.

12 hours ago, Levon said:

I'd read that at the time, too. But it was never mentioned which the third song was.

Since only about 2-3 minute song snippets were needed for the short performance sequences at the club, it's very possible that the third song only contains an unfinished part, maybe a verse, the chorus and something instrumental for the transition to the next movie scene.

No one knew at the time what a phenomenon Madonna would become just a short time later and that the Madonna songs / soundtrack would become even more successful than the film. Outside the U.S., after all, the movie was renamed Crazy For You.

When i was told it wasn't finished, they didn't say about whether it was the vocals or music.I'll ask again tomorrow :)