New Album Thread

RebelMe

New year, new album rumors...? Actually I can't see the purpose of a new album: is it the soundtrack for the movie? Is it for regaining love and attention from the general public? Is it just another piece for the catalog? If the second hypothesis is true, I bet it will look like Something to Remember, maybe not for the sound, so '90s, but for the atmosphere, refined and soft. Oh, I'd die for it. If it is just a new album, with no particular aims besides expressing her ideas, there would be so many possibilities, rock, folk, disco, trip hop...she would be spoilt for choice. For my tastes, I hope she'll avoid disco-dance, in order to escape the Confessions curse and comparisons between the albums. It would be intriguing and fascinating a new collaboration with Massive Attack, but I don't know whether they'd accept the offer or they will continue to reject it.

Above all, at this point of her career, I truly hope she'll choose quality over quantity: today's sales are jokes and it's more important to get critical acclaim.

My final 2 cents: Massive Attack and Orbit for production and Rick Nowels/Patrick Leonard for songwriting; trip hop-jungle music. 

On 1/14/2021 at 12:17 PM, Aiwa08 said:

"Hard Candy" a dance album?  it's not an album with ballads, but "Hard Candy" it's not a dance album. Only "You Can Dance", "Confessions on a Dance Floor" and "MDNA" are real dance albums. 

And I agree, we need another dance album. 

Which shows that Madonna has never been the dance-artist some people want her to be. She’s popular because she’s made very catchy pop songs. Not because she’s made dance songs. 

1 hour ago, ShantiAshtangi said:

Which shows that Madonna has never been the dance-artist some people want her to be. She’s popular because she’s made very catchy pop songs. Not because she’s made dance songs. 

A dance album it's very different to a dance song. Erotica is not a dance album, but you can dance "Deeper And Deeper" or "Fever (Edit One)". You can dance many of her catchy pop singles (or her remixes). That's the reason why many people thinks that Madonna is a dance-artist.

Anyone who thinks that Hard Candy isn't a dance record probably can't dance. In a club at least. It was made to be just that. Look at the cover, feel the beats, pure dance pop music during most of it. Even MDNA is a bit more serious and confessional. Her latest two I admit have another quality. 

15 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Honey, people can dance everything, even Live To Tell. Maybe I totally miss the point about the meaning of "dance album". 

I can't really classify her 80's albums as I haven't lived through those years and music was much more danceable then, even when it was hell serious. It's true, people might even call Rare by Selena Gomez for example a dance record when it doesn't compare to the dance quality of older albums. In this century, Madonna made three dance records in my opinion-  Confessions, Hard Candy, MDNA. It's the rhythm, the energy, the entire promotion behind them, the lyrics being more careless, everything. Music and Rebel Heart are somewhere in the middle. If we are talking about True Blue though, I'd say it provokes more of a summery nostalgic feeling to me than a passionate, sexy, bit aggressive feeling of a dance record. Maybe it was one in its time, I don't know honey.

8 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

A dance album it's very different to a dance song. Erotica is not a dance album, but you can dance "Deeper And Deeper" or "Fever (Edit One)". You can dance many of her catchy pop singles (or her remixes). That's the reason why many people thinks that Madonna is a dance-artist.

Erotica is mostly a dance album though with the exception of like 3 songs. I mean they're not all club bangers but you can dance to majority of the album 

6 hours ago, Hexxx said:

Erotica is mostly a dance album though with the exception of like 3 songs. I mean they're not all club bangers but you can dance to majority of the album 

You can dance "Papa Don't Preach", "Open Your Heart", "White Heat", "Where's The Party", "La Isla Bonita", "Jimmy, Jimmy" and "Love Makes The World Go Round" and I keep saying that "True Blue" is not a dance album. You can dance "Like A Prayer", "Express Yourself", "Till Death Do Us Part", "Cherish", "Dear Jessie", "Keep It Together" and I keep saying that "Like A Prayer" album is not an dance album. 

As I said before, a dance album is not the same that have a group of catchy songs in an album that you can dance. If Madonna have 100 singles, at least you can dance perfectly 85 singles (remixes not included).

For me, for example, a dance album is something like "Confessions", "Bad Girls" by Donna Summer, "One Love" by David Guetta, or "No limits" by 2 Unlimited. I mean, an album created to be fully played in a dance-club/discotheque with a specific style of music (Disco, Techno, etc, etc, etc).